I just bought a 00 v8 mustang gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I just bought a 00 v8 mustang gt

And I love it, but this morning while goin down the interstate a "service engine soon" light came on and has been on since. Being new to the mustang family, I thought itd be wise to ask for any common causes for this. Ive checked the oil, and the temperature gauge is normal. Is there anything else I should check before begining to think theres someth ok ng seriously wrong??
Justaskin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Take it to an auto parts store and see what codes it throws you. Research the codes and repair accordingly
DrSalt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I will do so,thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Haha the same thing happened to me. I bought a 2002 V6 and 2 days after I bought it the service engine soon light came on. My dad hooked the code reader up to it and it ended up being P4840 (most likely that's not the actual code but it was something like that). We looked it up on the Internet and it ended up being an evap issue with the fuel system if I remember correctly. We changed the oil and put some more windshield wiper fluid in and then erased the code. We never did anything else to it, and it's been 2-3 weeks and the service engine soon light hasn't come back on. But when driving in the car, my mom and I sometimes notice a wierd smell, like gasoline... or maybe oil, but I don't really know what oil would smell like. And im not sure if it's coming from the AC or from an outside source like another car's exhaust. Any help on this would be awesome! And I hope this helps you a little bit too.
Djockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Mine turned out to be a minor leak in the pipe that leads to the gas tank, and the dealer is fixing that this week. You might look into checking for some gas leaks or something? My light didnt come on until after I had driven like a 100+ miles after buying it
Old 08-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #6

Oh ok I'll do that, but right now my stang isn't really driveable because we also found out that there was a couple of issues with the door. One issue is that you could jiggle the window around (passenger side btw). And a second issue is that the passenger door will only unlock if you pull the inside door handle, or if u pull the pin up. The driver side button and the passenger side button won't unlock it, and the button on my keys won't unlock it. Doesn't work for locking either. But we took the door apart and are ordering another actuator I believe it's called.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm I've never had to replace one of those before is it pricey? So the doors don't lock at all by button? That sucks, I'm not much of a mechanic my knowledge is limited. But I wish you luck!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #8

We just finishes replacing it, and before if u were to push the button u could hear it try to unlock. But we replaced it and it works perfectly now! Although it kinda seems quieter now when I lock/unlock my car but I think I'm just imagining it

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

And I think the part was about 50 dollars
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm glad it was nothing too costly. Sounds like it solved your problem. So is say $50 well spent!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion