last weekends project: DIY bedliner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

last weekends project: DIY bedliner

so my girlfriend just bough a new f150 ecoboost about a month ago, and for her birthday i decided to line her bed for her. after doing a ton of research, i settled on the raptor u-pol system. the reason i decided on this system was because it comes with 4 bottles of liner and its own paint gun, a ton of jeep guys lined their entire tubs with it and have had nothing but good things to say about it, and every other DIY one (herculiner, duplicolor, etc.) has had some negative reviews on either peeling up or fading to an ugly color. i first found out about this product when a buddy of mine told me he put it below decks on his commercial fishing boat and had dropped a grinder on it by accident and it didnt even ship lol. so heres a link to the kit: U-Pol Raptor Spray-On Truck Bed Liner Kit - TP Tools & Equipment. i also ordered the self etcher since it was recommended by the manufacturer. another cool aspect of this kit is you can have it tinted. just go to a paint shop and have them mix up some base coat, and add it into the can. we decided not to go for this since we thought the gray would look funny in the bed.

1st thing i did was washi it then is started sanding. so heres us beginning to sand the tailgate:

its obviously way easier to do the tail gate separate from the bed as far as masking stuff off goes. i sanded with 180 grit sand paper, and was able to find a sander in my grandpas garage which saved us a ton of time. heres the tailgate all sanded:

now since i was using a flat sander (i guess we used a belt sander) you have to get into the grooves with the sandpaper itself. heres us starting on the bed:

bed all sanded:

next i rinsed it out and drove the truck to lunch to make sure it was all dry. then i wiped it out and started masking. i just used the blue 3m masking tape to tape the plastic, and the end result gave it really clean, professional looking edges. heres the truck all masked:

next we sprayed the self etcher on there, and let it sit for the recommended 10 minutes. heres the tailgate set up and ready to be sprayed:

so to spray you obviously need an air compressor. i bought a huge 27 gallon compressor from a pawn shop for $160 bucks, but you dont need to overkill it like me lol. ive read online that some ppl were able to use pancake compressors. i sprayed at 50 psi. so heres the 1st coat on the tailgate:

first coat on the bed:

so after the 1st coat, we went inside and watched football and waited the required hour between coats. then we laid down another coat, waited an hour again, and put on our 3rd and final coat. we ended up using 3 1/2 of our 4 bottles. heres the tailgate all done:

and the bed all done:

i was amazed at the finish of this stuff. it looks exactly like line-x or rhino liner. also, as long as you mask off all the screw heads and stuff like that, you dont have to worry about it peeling up if you ever have to unscrew anything. remember the most important and time consuming part of this is the prep. after that shooting coats is really easy. ive never laid down anything with a spray gun before lol. the true test of how its held up will come this weekend when we load up for tailgating. since its been curing for a week, it should hold up to the likes of my grill and propane tank and stuff like that. ill report back with how it does!!

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Re: last weekends project: DIY bedliner

it looks great bud, it is almost even and straight to a fault lol. From what i can tell in your pics it definitely looks good and I am sure it will hold up to the grind
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yea so the only damage from the tailgate yesterday was when someone dragged the sharp edge of a propane tank along the bed and scratched some of it off im not surprised tho bc that sharp edge will really do damage lol

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy

is there any way to touch it up or are you just letting it be for now?
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

yea if you just clean up the area u can just spray some more on there. im gonna let it be for now tho since its just a mark no bigger than a coin. i might touch it up after tailgate season is over lol

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion