Cell phone ban Good or Bad? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Cell phone ban Good or Bad?

Just want to see what you think about the suggested NTSB cell phone ban. I agree with most of the ban. I think banning Bluetooth is a little extreme. For the most part- I think hands free, is a must.
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I agree, bluetooth only
tthompson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
When I'm on my bike I dont like ppl in ANY phone, hands free included. Whenever I use my phone driving my car I try to be more aware of the road then phone. Usually talk through my iBeats.
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Cell phone ban Good or Bad?

I think its great but I doubt people will do it
I hate when people are talking on the phone, they dont pay any attention to their driving
I've been in so many near misses with people that were talking on their cell

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

I agree, as a motorcyclist you can really see how distracted the drivers are
Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Not a fan of Texting and driving

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's a $110 in Ontario Canada I think... I've seen too many goofy people in near misses with phones in hand... Let alone eating, brushing teeth, and shaving. Bluetooth handsfree is good around here.
JBillone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

I try not to talk and drive, if I do its only out of need.

Nothing makes me more irratated than when people text and drive.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

I know my brother in law is a state trooper for maryland, he told me that their new law is in effect and fisrt time is 250 fee second time 500 annd after that you lose you lin. for 90 days

--We're in a war, dammit! We're going to have to offend somebody!" -- John Adams
Army_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Columbus Ohio has a ban on them. But honestly the way people talk about it is how are you going to prove it, half if not more than half of the cars come with the blutooth which is just as distracting. I am sorry, but my life isnt meaningless enough to where I need to text/talk while driving, If It is an emergency, I can either pull off into a parking lot, or wait. The worst tho ladies... are the ones putting on makeup! eeeevery morning on the way to work there is at least one woman doing her hair, or her makeup as she driving, but the dumbest driver I still have seen to date, was still to this day the only one ive called the cops for. Honest to god was eating a sandwich and reading a book. I recorded him on my phone a few years ago and out of 4 minutes, 15 seconds were eyes on road. IDK how he did it, or quite frankly why, but jesus people comeon.

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff

I almost got hit once by a lady talking and driving on her cell phone. (Not hands free) She completely ran a stop sign needless to say I let her have it.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I almost got hit once by a lady talking and driving on her cell phone. (Not hands free) She completely ran a stop sign needless to say I let her have it.
I would too, I mean I understand we are human, but the things we can prevent, how about we start there, like cellphones. Put em down and have some patience. the thing a lot of people dont consider, are for example. The single guy who kids are the last thing on his mind as far as having children goes, will not know what the fear of losing a child is like, and will be a little more reckless in most cases. Yet when something happens its SMACK reality, oh sh it I didnt even think about that when I was doing whatever it was I was doing. I could have really hurt that baby... (if that makes any sense)

In most cases it takes something irreversible to suddenly make people see what they should have seen all along.

This might get me some criticism but I just want to say this in an "i am not trying to start an argument statement" But I will never believe in second chances, or believing that people can change. Good example. I lost 3 friends of mine in a drunk driving incident. It was christmas eve and they were heading home from college to see their fams, and a drunk driver was going the wrong way on the freeway. Hit them head on at 90 mph and they all died instantly. A month later in court he was being let go on some bogus BS that his deep pockets/lawyer got him out on. But his plea to the family/friends was this and this alone (it kinda sticks with you when you actually hear someone say it and try to mean it) "It took something tragic like this, to make me realize I shouldn't be drinking alcohol, and I believe that I have a problem. I will be checking into rehab and promise to everyone in this room that I will never forget the tragedy that happened on Christmas eve." there is so much wrong in that statement it sickens me, but its what most people believe to be true. People wont "change" until its too late, and then expect it to be ok.

All I am saying I guess is that if you do end up using your phone in the car, please just be courteous to those around you , and think about the damage that could happen, not necessarily to you, but to someone around you.

I want to leave people with this thought and I will stop ranting,

If you woke up one morning to hear that you lost your mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, wife, or husband in a car accident to later find out it was because someone was texting while driving. Do you have the right to be upset? or are you going to be a hypocrite.

I care about everyone on ME, I have made some GREAT friends and are meeting more everyday. Just please be safe.

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless04GT

I would too, I mean I understand we are human, but the things we can prevent, how about we start there, like cellphones. Put em down and have some patience. the thing a lot of people dont consider, are for example. The single guy who kids are the last thing on his mind as far as having children goes, will not know what the fear of losing a child is like, and will be a little more reckless in most cases. Yet when something happens its SMACK reality, oh sh it I didnt even think about that when I was doing whatever it was I was doing. I could have really hurt that baby... (if that makes any sense)

In most cases it takes something irreversible to suddenly make people see what they should have seen all along.

This might get me some criticism but I just want to say this in an "i am not trying to start an argument statement" But I will never believe in second chances, or believing that people can change. Good example. I lost 3 friends of mine in a drunk driving incident. It was christmas eve and they were heading home from college to see their fams, and a drunk driver was going the wrong way on the freeway. Hit them head on at 90 mph and they all died instantly. A month later in court he was being let go on some bogus BS that his deep pockets/lawyer got him out on. But his plea to the family/friends was this and this alone (it kinda sticks with you when you actually hear someone say it and try to mean it) "It took something tragic like this, to make me realize I shouldn't be drinking alcohol, and I believe that I have a problem. I will be checking into rehab and promise to everyone in this room that I will never forget the tragedy that happened on Christmas eve." there is so much wrong in that statement it sickens me, but its what most people believe to be true. People wont "change" until its too late, and then expect it to be ok.

All I am saying I guess is that if you do end up using your phone in the car, please just be courteous to those around you , and think about the damage that could happen, not necessarily to you, but to someone around you.

I want to leave people with this thought and I will stop ranting,

If you woke up one morning to hear that you lost your mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, wife, or husband in a car accident to later find out it was because someone was texting while driving. Do you have the right to be upset? or are you going to be a hypocrite.

I care about everyone on ME, I have made some GREAT friends and are meeting more everyday. Just please be safe.
I agree with your statements. Most people don't think of the consequences of their actions until its too late. By then, the effects are usually irreversible. Anyway, as far as the possible ban, I'm a fan of sync and any Bluetooth technology that is hands free. I agree that phones shouldn't be used, but I think its ok to make or receive quick phone calls as long as the driver still keeps their attention to the road. What I absolutely don't agree with is texting while driving. This is plain stupid and irresponsible. I had an experience where I was driving down to Georgia at night on the interstate and I spotted a car that was constantly moving side to side within the lane. After observing for a little bit, I drove right by to make sure the driver wasn't having a heart attack or something. Lo and behold, she was texting on the highway going 70 mph! I was so angry I sped off. Come to think of it, I should have called the cops on her a$$...

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Everytime i see someone do something stupid, i look into the car and 90% of the time its some idiot on the phone, oblivious to his/her surroundings just switching lanes without looking, or running a red light. All i have to say is there needs to be stiffer penalties for repeat offenders, maybe a couple days in jail for a third strike. Think that might help.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

I'd say allow hands free devices. If they really want to make driving safer they would make the driving test harder to keep some of the idiots from getting a license.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfan2003
I'd say allow hands free devices. If they really want to make driving safer they would make the driving test harder to keep some of the idiots from getting a license.
+1
tthompson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I say it's just a lot of posturing. Many states have bans on texting while driving. How many people have you passed that are texting? How many have you followed at night watching the glow of their phone through their rear window as they swerve all over the road because they are texting or trying to read the map on their phone?

Sure, go ahead and ban phone usage in a car, however until they come out with some sort of signal jamming device that prevents any signal from being reached in a car, then the law will just be another check mark on someone's accomplishment list.

Personally, I'd rather see a law requiring driving tests each time you need to renew your license. It's like people only drive good enough for their test around here and then completely forget it all and feel entitled to the whole road as if no one else could possibly be on it.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I was not on my phone officer I was singing with the radio!! Great now they are going to ban music and well pretty much every other freedom we ever had. Slippery slope the taking of freedoms in the name of public safety!!
GT1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
I heard that it could put up to six points on your license when our state passes it and you get caught on your cell

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla View Post
I heard that it could put up to six points on your license when our state passes it and you get caught on your cell
Key word is get caught. NY requires hands free. WHen I lived there I passed many a cop talking on my phone. Just like here in LA, there's a ban on texting. People pass cops all day long texting...blatant texting. Hell, people run red lights around here right in front of cops. The key is getting the lazy *** to get out of his car to write the ticket. The only time they seem to care is towards the end of the month. I was busted for talking on the phone in NY once. Happened to be on the 29th of the month. Shocking. Seat belt tickets here in LA have all come in the late 20's of the month for all 3 that I've gotten.

So, writing the law in any state is just a notch in a belt. When the enforcers don't care about enforcing it...until they need to bump their numbers...the law will mean nothing.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Topless04gt - that's terrible... The courts really suck like that. I guess it doesn't matter what country you are in. 3 lives with a ton of potential ended. 1 dbag free and I'm sure breaking his promise.

They refer to this laws up here as distracted driving. That's the main issue, that the road doesnt have a persons full attention. More laws means less freedoms. I know it stinks to blanket everyone because of a handful of losers. I think it's a good law though for my family's sake.

Cops are all different though. I know some that don't write speeding tickets because that would make them hypocrites. I'm sure it works like that for a bunch of charges.
JBillone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

i think it would be dumb to ban all cell phones. i work as a runner for a company, and when im on the road they call me all the time to tell me to do something. this would affect my livelihood and the livelihood of a lot of other people, so i think its stupid. its like just teaching abstinence with sex ed, you end up with more teen pregnancies than if you teach complete sex ed. a total ban just seems to compound the problem. i agree with rob that you should be required to retake your driving test at least every two years or something when its renewed. or just make it harder to pass in the first place

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Good thing. I never drive and use the phone unless I'm at a red light and I know for a fact its gonna be a couple minutes... ill squeeze off a quick text.or email...
Old 12-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I say its good having worked for a local publishing company our papper carriers would miss deliverys due to texting, or calls costing me money.

Also as a fire fighter/emt-wannabe I have seen alot of avoidable accidents caused by cell phone usage if you have to reply to a text or call that is that important there are very few places you cannot pull over to return that text or call.

I agree with BlueTooth only also for calls where information maybe needed as well...
Old 12-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Great points brought up by everyone. I'd agree with retaking the test every few years at least the written part. Everyone should know the rules of the road. Yeah I'm not sure how good the law does, as people do it anyway. I never text and drive and hardly ever talk and drive, I hate talking and driving. I've seen cops texting and driving all the time.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #26
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Huntsville, AL had a ban on texting. No one followed it. I believe the laws are there more for extra responsibility should you cause an accident as the result of doing these offenses.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Huntsville, AL had a ban on texting. No one followed it. I believe the laws are there more for extra responsibility should you cause an accident as the result of doing these offenses.
I think you're right some cops from what I hear some enforce it some don't.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Me and my dad were driving a 18 whele and some guy texting was complety on the wrong side of the road and we had to get in the emergency lane and he still almost hit us
Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1000 View Post
I was not on my phone officer I was singing with the radio!! Great now they are going to ban music and well pretty much every other freedom we ever had. Slippery slope the taking of freedoms in the name of public safety!!
It becomes a very slippery slope. People have to take responsibility for their actions. So many people are putting on makeup, eating, changing radio, ipod, etc.

Many people would argue that our cars shouldn't go past the speed limit, why should we be able to go 140+, its dangerous, people die in high speed accidents. Americans have always had the freedom to screw up and to be safe.

Some laws are necessary, DUI for sure should remain and probably banning texting, but not cell phones. There would have to be a law against being stupid to cover it all.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Sync and the like are good cell phones bad

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion