2004 explorer cel light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
2004 explorer cel light

need some help guys. my explorer 4.0 flex fuel is getting a flashing cel light. i get code :

300. random misfires
303. cylinder 3 misfire
306. cylinder 6 misfire
316. misfire under 1000 rpm

when the light comes on it will flash and the car will misfire really bad. it is relly intermittent. sometime i cn drive all day. other times it will happen more often.

my thoughts are fuel filter as it needs it anyways. iac. and wires which it also needs.

one more thing. this started happening after a tensioner pulley locked up. when the pulley locked up it still ran, but started chugging and shaking relly bad. maybe something came loose. at first glance i didnt see anything obvious.

help please!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 2004 explorer cel light

Check your coil(s)? It may have shaken loose a wire or it/they might be failing.

Also, if it has a crank sensor check that too. The shaking may have jarred something loose there.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
sounds like good places to start. my first thought was a coil cause i thought that they possibly may have shared one. but i think they are on different ones. but i havent got to deep yet. im not that hip to newer ignition systems. thanx. i look into this weekend.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Im gunna say coil packs...I had the same ”random” issue with my camaro..would run great then sometimes under wot it would miss and flash the eng light..took it to the dealer they told me evap solenoid I listened to them changed it same prob..took it to an f body specialist said cylinder missfire could be anywhere between the coils to the plugs.changed the packs prob fixed.
ps thats the last time I EVER went to the dealer for issues (bout 10yrs ago)
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 2004 explorer cel light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
sounds like good places to start. my first thought was a coil cause i thought that they possibly may have shared one. but i think they are on different ones. but i havent got to deep yet. im not that hip to newer ignition systems. thanx. i look into this weekend.
I'm pretty sure you can test the "coil packs" if it has them.
What year is your Explorer?
I have a book on my Ranger that goes from 02-05 if it will help.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I'm pretty sure you can test the "coil packs" if it has them.
What year is your Explorer?
I have a book on my Ranger that goes from 02-05 if it will help.
2004 4.0 flex fuel

i was gonna check ohms. i can probably check all the coils and see if they match maybe? i do have a haynes/chilton for all my vehicles but i havent got one for this as it hasnt been needed yet but definitly time for a purchase.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 2004 explorer cel light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
2004 4.0 flex fuel

i was gonna check ohms. i can probably check all the coils and see if they match maybe? i do have a haynes/chilton for all my vehicles but i havent got one for this as it hasnt been needed yet but definitly time for a purchase.
My book lists both the pushrod and the SOHC engine, but has nothing on the Flex Fuel.


I did find a coil pack test procedure though. If you need it I can try to scan it in?
Just let me know.


Oh, yeah, be sure to check the wires and plugs on the cylinders with the trouble codes.
It may be a simple wire/plug issue.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

My book lists both the pushrod and the SOHC engine, but has nothing on the Flex Fuel.

I did find a coil pack test procedure though. If you need it I can try to scan it in?
Just let me know.

Oh, yeah, be sure to check the wires and plugs on the cylinders with the trouble codes.
It may be a simple wire/plug issue.
it is sohc. well i definitly wont get to it tonight. so no rush. but sure ill take it until i get a chance to get a book.

thanx man. i did do a quick glance at all the wires before i even pulled the codes. but know that i know the exact one, i can better look.

one more thing. i dont think its related, but you never know. i have been smelling some coolant lately. this started happening some time before my current issue. i have not found any leaks. and it runs at normal temp. it didnt bug me that much before, but i was keeping an eye on it. but i didnt know if something was up with the collant, if it could be faulty sensor readings or something.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Coolant smell maybe ”maybe” water pump goin bad pushin a bit of coolant out of the weep hole?..a small enough amout it evaporates but gives a stink?..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 2004 explorer cel light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
it is sohc. well i definitly wont get to it tonight. so no rush. but sure ill take it until i get a chance to get a book.

thanx man. i did do a quick glance at all the wires before i even pulled the codes. but know that i know the exact one, i can better look.

one more thing. i dont think its related, but you never know. i have been smelling some coolant lately. this started happening some time before my current issue. i have not found any leaks. and it runs at normal temp. it didnt bug me that much before, but i was keeping an eye on it. but i didnt know if something was up with the collant, if it could be faulty sensor readings or something.
About the coolant.
I have noticed on almost every SOCH/DOCH engine I have been around with the hood open and the engine is hot that I can smell antifreeze. I don't know if it is in the overflow systems or what but it seems to be the norm for most 4,6 & 8 cylinder engines of that configuration that I've seen.


If it is not losing enough to notice I wouldn't think it could cause any problems.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

About the coolant.
I have noticed on almost every SOCH/DOCH engine I have been around with the hood open and the engine is hot that I can smell antifreeze. I don't know if it is in the overflow systems or what but it seems to be the norm for most 4,6 & 8 cylinder engines of that configuration that I've seen.

If it is not losing enough to notice I wouldn't think it could cause any problems.
yeah the level stays the same.

it never worried me to much. i just thought that i would throw that in there. never hurts to have to much facts when trouble shooting.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Coolant smell maybe ”maybe” water pump goin bad pushin a bit of coolant out of the weep hole?..a small enough amout it evaporates but gives a stink?..
yeah i checked everywhere. cause i fugured it would some kind of leak. but everything is nice and clean.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
^that's what she said!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
^that's what she said!..
lol
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 2004 explorer cel light

Ignition Coil Test - Finally!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ign Coil Test 4-0 Ford.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	56893  
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Ignition Coil Test - Finally!
Cool. Thanx
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I'm pretty certain it's Crank Case Sensor. In previous experiences with a certain government motors product ( My dads Oldsmobile intrigue) I had that problem occur. It was indeed the crank case sensor. Coil's in my experience on my Mom's Lincoln Aviator 4.6l V8 don't throw out misfires that I recall.

On a side note: I would suggest if you do find the coils to be defective make sure to replace the plugs.

As you will find in 15,000 miles you'll be at it again.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
The coolant smell mite be the intake or a headgasket
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003
The coolant smell mite be the intake or a headgasket
I never checked compression or anything. But it has been doing this for a while. And I don't have any smoke in the tail pipe and I don't loose/use oil or coolant out of the norm. Also there is no oil the coolant or coolant in the oil. So hopefully she's good there.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
The oil doesn't have to leak into antifreeze or antifreeze into oil they can leak on the outside to
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003
The oil doesn't have to leak into antifreeze or antifreeze into oil they can leak on the outside to
Yeah, no leaks at all though and no smoke. It was a good thought though. Thanx for reply.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

It would be cool to know what is was though.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
If nothin is really leaking then I might think as TH said its common to smell coolant on those vehicles..is the coolant overflow a sealed system?...i.e don't open it when it hot!..lol...maybe it's just some fumes escaping or some jazz like that..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
If nothin is really leaking then I might think as TH said its common to smell coolant on those vehicles..is the coolant overflow a sealed system?...i.e don't open it when it hot!..lol...maybe it's just some fumes escaping or some jazz like that..
im not sure what is called. there isnt even a radiator cap. you only add coolant to the overlow, which is baffled. so i guess it would be sealed?

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
I'm pretty certain it's Crank Case Sensor. In previous experiences with a certain government motors product ( My dads Oldsmobile intrigue) I had that problem occur. It was indeed the crank case sensor. Coil's in my experience on my Mom's Lincoln Aviator 4.6l V8 don't throw out misfires that I recall.

On a side note: I would suggest if you do find the coils to be defective make sure to replace the plugs.

As you will find in 15,000 miles you'll be at it again.
i didnt even see you post on here earlier. oops. the plugs only have a couple thousand miles on them. i will look into the crank sensor. trojan suspects that to. thanx.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

ok guys. when the tensioner pulley looked up, i only changed the pulley. the whole tensioner looks like it needs replaced. it is shaking pretty good. will the shaking of the tensioner throw off the crank sensor from the belt not getting a steady tenion?

sorry if im slow on this. i am an old school guy. but the coils are inside of the pack? i have to take the four screws on the corners out and dissamble?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #23
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Yeah thats the sealed overflow...not sur if that's what it should be called but way back when I worked at jiffy lube that's what we called it just sayin its hot so you cant pop the cap....uhh the crank sensor I would supose it wouldn't be directly affected by the by the belt tentioner being that it's off of the crank that does all the work anywho...
The coil pack though (many car are different) should just be screwed onto a plate and removal is that easy but no you don't have to take them apart they are one piece..

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

A pick might help of the coil pack/packs...my camaro has 3 each one fires for 2 cylinders..but newer cars (ls motors atleast) have 1 for each cylinder..no idea how the exploders work..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Yeah thats the sealed overflow...not sur if that's what it should be called but way back when I worked at jiffy lube that's what we called it just sayin its hot so you cant pop the cap....uhh the crank sensor I would supose it wouldn't be directly affected by the by the belt tentioner being that it's off of the crank that does all the work anywho...
The coil pack though (many car are different) should just be screwed onto a plate and removal is that easy but no you don't have to take them apart they are one piece..

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

A pick might help of the coil pack/packs...my camaro has 3 each one fires for 2 cylinders..but newer cars (ls motors atleast) have 1 for each cylinder..no idea how the exploders work..
well there are 3 coils for six cylinders. im still not understanding where i should test. and i cant tell by the picture trojan posted, even zoomed in on my ipad.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

this is what it looks like. i just test from terminal to terminal?

i just remembered why i like my carb. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2287439219.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	56984  
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
I'm pretty certain it's Crank Case Sensor. In previous experiences with a certain government motors product ( My dads Oldsmobile intrigue) I had that problem occur. It was indeed the crank case sensor. Coil's in my experience on my Mom's Lincoln Aviator 4.6l V8 don't throw out misfires that I recall.

On a side note: I would suggest if you do find the coils to be defective make sure to replace the plugs.

As you will find in 15,000 miles you'll be at it again.
Government Motors... Hehe
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Dude...im as lost as you when it comes to testing them..mine just went bad so I replaced them:/
Where the F is this trojan guy when you need him anyway?...lol
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #27
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Dude...im as lost as you when it comes to testing them..mine just went bad so I replaced them:/
Where the F is this trojan guy when you need him anyway?...lol
Lol. I can test my single coil. Haha
But ill get back to it. I just found an article for dummies.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #28
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Lol. I can test my single coil. Haha
But ill get back to it. I just found an article for dummies.
I need the book on life for dummies lol..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #29
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

I need the book on life for dummies lol..
+4, wait, I can't even do that right.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #30
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

I need the book on life for dummies lol..
lol

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_...ck_tests_1.php
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

+4, wait, I can't even do that right.
Well your futurama avatar is awesome!..i believe phillip j fry is a real character based off of myself
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Well your futurama avatar is awesome!..i believe phillip j fry is a real character based off of myself
Lol!

Bender is my hero
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #33
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

lol

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_...ck_tests_1.php
Nice well I only have the first.2 tools on the list so im fwacked!..oh wait my dd don't gots foil packs haha..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #34
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

lol

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_...ck_tests_1.php
Great find!! I like how it says go to test 4, 5, etc.. This is better than the book.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #35
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
There was a link within that website for 4.6 COP test too. I always just checked ohms, but will probably give this a shot in the future. Thanks!

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_...ion_ford_1.php
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:15 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.