Squeaky spring noise :( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Squeaky spring noise :(

I just noticed a squeaky spring noise coming from my 2009 Sonata when I very slowly drove over the speed bumps at my apartment. It's coming from the front end, definitely the driver's side but I'm not sure about the passenger's side. Nothing feels different and when I push down on the front end it moves normally and doesn't bounce around. I put bigger tires on it about a month ago but haven't lowered it or anything. Is there any way to tell what's wrong without pulling the wheel off? Should I just take it to a mechanic? It has a lot of miles on it....
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'm almost positive I know what it is. On top of the spring is a rubber mat type thing that prevents the spring from making noise. It probably eroded away causing noise, it won't effect drivability.

Grab bottle of wd40 and pop your hood and look at the strut that is making noise there should be three nuts and a big hole in the middle where the strut attaches to. Soak it all in wd40 and bounce the car a little. The noise should be eliminated or reduced temporarily
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
I'm almost positive I know what it is. On top of the spring is a rubber mat type thing that prevents the spring from making noise. It probably eroded away causing noise, it won't effect drivability.

Grab bottle of wd40 and pop your hood and look at the strut that is making noise there should be three nuts and a big hole in the middle where the strut attaches to. Soak it all in wd40 and bounce the car a little. The noise should be eliminated or reduced temporarily
Thank you so much! I'll give it a try, can't hurt if that's not it. Is that something that will damage my spring if I don't do something more permanent to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Squeaky spring noise :(

No it will not hurt the spring! The little rubber piece there is to prevent exactly what you were mentioning happened. Its supposed to stop the noise, if it gets really annoying you can have a mechanic (or someone with mechanical experience) put a new oem rubber piece on top of the strut.

This is of course if that is your problem, Springs and shocks don't squeak so there isn't much where it could be something else.

Are you sure its not your brakes?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No it will not hurt the spring! The little rubber piece there is to prevent exactly what you were mentioning happened. Its supposed to stop the noise, if it gets really annoying you can have a mechanic (or someone with mechanical experience) put a new oem rubber piece on top of the strut.

This is of course if that is your problem, Springs and shocks don't squeak so there isn't much where it could be something else.

Are you sure its not your brakes?
I'm pretty sure it's not my brakes. I wasn't braking at all when I heard the squeaking, just rolling over them.

Just to be sure, did I circle the right part?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-75744700.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	59512  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
sounds like what happen to me it turned out to be my ball joints. had to replace them
beccabau2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

I'm pretty sure it's not my brakes. I wasn't braking at all when I heard the squeaking, just rolling over them.

Just to be sure, did I circle the right part?
Yes that is correct spray it down and drive it if the noise goes away that's your problem if not it can be anything in the suspension geometry.

To test your ball joints and tie rod ends you must jack up the car and move the tire with your hands left and right and up and down to see if there is any play in the steering. If there is no play its most likely something else. Just test the wd40 and let us know what happens
Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you guys! I picked up some WD40 but I have my Mustang with me so I'll be able to do it in about an hour.

What do you mean by "play in the steering"?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
You will feel a slight movement that the actually pieces of the car shouldn't allow like for example if the wheel doesn't move or moves only slightly then u are good, of there is obvious movement and itch directions that is what is considered play

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
You will feel a slight movement that the actually pieces of the car shouldn't allow like for example if the wheel doesn't move or moves only slightly then u are good, of there is obvious movement and itch directions that is what is considered play
Okay got it. I'm heading home now to try the WD40.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It didn't work :'(
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Squeaky spring noise :(

alright the next thing to do is jack up the car front end of the car and grab the tire try to move it side to side, check to see if it moves unexpectedly, how many miles do you have on the car??? I am expecting it could be a bushing in the front since it is a front wheel drive their is a few more suspension guts so you probably won't be able to get it to squeak but after you check for unexpected play pull the wheel off and do a visual inspection of the bushings and everything. If it's a squeaky bushing that isn't showing any wear u probably aren't going to be able to figure out which one it is unfortunately.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 07-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
alright the next thing to do is jack up the car front end of the car and grab the tire try to move it side to side, check to see if it moves unexpectedly, how many miles do you have on the car??? I am expecting it could be a bushing in the front since it is a front wheel drive their is a few more suspension guts so you probably won't be able to get it to squeak but after you check for unexpected play pull the wheel off and do a visual inspection of the bushings and everything. If it's a squeaky bushing that isn't showing any wear u probably aren't going to be able to figure out which one it is unfortunately.
So do you just have to replace all the bushings if that's what it is?

It has 122,000 miles on it. Never had any major problems or had to replace anything except the battery and the front rotors.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Oh, and do I need to jack up the whole front end or is one side enough?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I bet y'all it's the ball joints. all the miles got to them.
beccabau2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Do you know a good shop? My shop checks cars for free and tells you what's wrong.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have a mechanic, I gave him a call and he's going to try to take a look at it tonight. How much do you think it'll cost me if it's the ball joints?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a mechanic, I gave him a call and he's going to try to take a look at it tonight. How much do you think it'll cost me if it's the ball joints?
Most of its labor yor probably looking at anywhere from $200-450
Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, he came and looked at it and it actually sounded worse. Now I hear the sound in the rear as well. It doesn't seem to be coming from the front passenger's side at all. He pushed down on the rear and it made a horrible sound... He said it might be the brakes, but I just got all new pads about two months ago.

He's going to pick it up tomorrow morning and take it to the shop to look at it. And now I have to drive the Mustang to Sarasota >
Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay, he came and looked at it and it actually sounded worse. Now I hear the sound in the rear as well. It doesn't seem to be coming from the front passenger's side at all. He pushed down on the rear and it made a horrible sound... He said it might be the brakes, but I just got all new pads about two months ago.

He's going to pick it up tomorrow morning and take it to the shop to look at it. And now I have to drive the Mustang to Sarasota >
Well enjoy the trip, not every day you get to drive the weekend car around just be optimistic I am sure he will find the issue and resolve it in a timely manner.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well enjoy the trip, not every day you get to drive the weekend car around just be optimistic I am sure he will find the issue and resolve it in a timely manner.
+1 my pony is on jacks waiting for parts and painting rims so I haven't driven it in two weeks
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, I enjoyed it I passed another Mustang on the side of the road that probably did not enjoy their drive. Four car crash, looked like a little Nissan got totaled.

He told me everything looked fine :/ But he painted my calipers while he had it up with the wheels off so there's that He's gonna drop it off in the morning.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, I enjoyed it I passed another Mustang on the side of the road that probably did not enjoy their drive. Four car crash, looked like a little Nissan got totaled.

He told me everything looked fine :/ But he painted my calipers while he had it up with the wheels off so there's that He's gonna drop it off in the morning.
That's great! Don't worry about it then
Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow a check up and a free caliper job perfect. Glad to hear all is well. Did u get my list from the other thread?

Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's great! Don't worry about it then
Thanks

Quote:

Wow a check up and a free caliper job perfect. Glad to hear all is well. Did u get my list from the other thread?
Haha yeah, it's hard being a girl. And yes I got it but haven't gotten a chance to really look at it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-905613003.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	59975  
Old 07-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks

Haha yeah, it's hard being a girl. And yes I got it but haven't gotten a chance to really look at it yet.
Alright wanted to make sure it got to you. That's a nice job on the calipers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion