Project Fox Storage Dilemma - Help Please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Project Fox Storage Dilemma - Help Please

I am about to start the body work on the 81 hatch project. I am going to do a complete strip down to almost a frame off restoration.

Anyhow, I have the chance to swap a guy some of the parts from the car for an 8.8 from one of his many donor cars. So, I will be pulling the rear end this weekend along with the last of the removable things from the car.

This brings me to my dilemma. While I have the rear out, I plan on stripping everything down and getting it painted/sealed up. This isn't an over night ordeal as you all know. The problem lies in that I need to be able to push the hatch in and out of the carport as needed when I work on the cobra and/or friends cars. "Back yard Customs" is getting pretty busy as of late.

Obviously, if I didn't have to move the car around, jackstands would fit the bill. Also, if the rear end was installed and there were wheels on the car, simple car dollies would fit the bill. However, neither of those conditions will be true once I pull the rear end as it will be a good bit before I am read to buy all the parts needed to re-install the rear end.

What I was thinking of doing was buying a set of 4 1000 lb movers dollies, putting the car on jackstands on those dollies, and being done with it. Or maybe a set of normal wheel dollies with some sort of platform built so it would hold the jack stands. Do y'all think that would work...and be safe and not too hillbilly? Or, is there something else out there made for this situation...that doesn't cost a fortune anyhow.

If I can get this figured out, I think I will go ahead and do the same thing in the front since the motor will be out this weekend and pretty much everything up front is getting replaced anyhow....including the driver side 5 lug/passenger side 4 lug setup the car has working right now. lol
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Re: Project Fox Storage Dilemma - Help Please

I say go with with wheel dollies and attach some sort of support for them to place under the unibody. I'm not sure if a jack stand will do the job though, I think one piece of gravel hitting one of the castering wheels and stopping the dolly will tip it over.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Here's a suggestion from another site...this just might work for the rear....then use the 1000 pound motorcycle stand I found today for $36 for the front so I can turn it and remove all of the front end as well as the rear.

Quote:
Here ya go! i used an old dolly and welded to a steel rear bumper..to remove i'll just grind the welds and the dolly should still be useable

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

genius.....
Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Do what my dad and I did. Take the entire front and rear bumpers off. Take the 5 mph bumpers off the front and back. This will leave you with a big plate at each corner of the car with four bolts in it where the 5 mph bumpers used to bolt up. Then, go to Lowe's and buy you four of those little wheel/jack things like you would see on a boat trailer. Don't remember what they were called. Weld two for each side together with some rectangular steel tubing and a plate on each with holes to bolt up to the frame.

There you have it. You can jack it up and down and easily push it around by yourself.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion