V8 vs. V6 - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #71
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

So if you can only have one car, and want good fuel economy, you would get a yaris or vitz? That is sad, man.

I want to get good mileage, but I like to enjoy myself, too. I can afford a GT. As a daily driver, in Cleveland snow, working in west Cleveland and living in East Cleveland, no track days ever, performance and city driving, you would take a v8 or GT500? Even if I could afford a 500, I would not buy it. I can not keep it in my garage, and take care of her. I would not pay 7 k to have a car that costs MORE to insure, gets WORSE mileage, and is just a bit faster to 35 mph. Well, I go 39 in 35s, but still.

That makes no sense at all, to me. I can't believe you would suggest a yaris/vitz to someone. I wouldn't to a friend, if I liked them lol

Your 25,000 focus gets 34 mpg? Cool. My last tank was 36. Yea, it was 22.3k before a plan or rebates. Oh, your focus doesn't have 300 hp?

Now replace focus with yaris/vitz, and that conversation becomes MORE depressing.
Very good point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

On the site they said 5.3, I believe. I lost my lust for them around 2009, so my current knowledge on them is limited. You make very valid points, if they are actually 26, I will have to keep that in mind. Everyone I know comes to me for car help and questions. Mechanically I am not skilled, but I do have an automobile love. If I had a plan, and rebates, Mustang all the way. But average buyer, that WRX gives it some good competition.

Can you think of anything else? Not calling you out, just trying to expand the horizon. I compared the Imprezas and STIs before getting the Stang, never a wrx before. (I still love my choice)
Thanks, we are in the same boat (more knowledge than hands on skill)

This is really tough. The 350z has not kept up with the times and too pricey. The new toyobura only has 200hp until they turbocharge it. I really like the looks though and have read rave reviews on the handling. Forget v6 versions of the other us muscle cars, too heavy. Someone mentioned the evo. A lot like the subie, a little more pricey but doesn't have the reliability track record. One possible here is the focus st. But 6.2 acceleration doesn't get my blood boiling. I don't mean to sound like an expert, I'm not. My only real possibility here was the wrx, but I'd been reading about the coyote for a while and like fords so was swayed. Happy with my decision. Mustang just feels like the perfect combination of brutish but nimble.... Only we owners can understand how those two can co-exist.

Curious to hear other viewpoints here though. Anything not mentioned in this thread (not that I would regret my decision)
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: V8 vs. V6

I think there are likely a lot more people with V6's wishing they had 8 than the other way around. That said, the V6 today is not the 190hp POS that was in my 1999 Mustang I had back then. A family friend drag raced me at a stoplight (for fun) in a mini-van and damn near won. It was embarrassing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle

Thanks, we are in the same boat (more knowledge than hands on skill)

This is really tough. The 350z has not kept up with the times and too pricey. The new toyobura only has 200hp until they turbocharge it. I really like the looks though and have read rave reviews on the handling. Forget v6 versions of the other us muscle cars, too heavy. Someone mentioned the evo. A lot like the subie, a little more pricey but doesn't have the reliability track record. One possible here is the focus st. But 6.2 acceleration doesn't get my blood boiling. I don't mean to sound like an expert, I'm not. My only real possibility here was the wrx, but I'd been reading about the coyote for a while and like fords so was swayed. Happy with my decision. Mustang just feels like the perfect combination of brutish but nimble.... Only we owners can understand how those two can co-exist.

Curious to hear other viewpoints here though. Anything not mentioned in this thread (not that I would regret my decision)
Yea, 370 is better, but not for the price, cts is the same, even the r/t challenger sucks, and although the srt is powerful, they only make autos. The v6 Camaro has different internals than the v8. I haven't looked much at the lancers. I don't like computers doing stuff. Not when I drive. I start my car, as I pull out, trac cont off. First stop light I can not roll, adv trac off. Yea, FT86 is great for build quality, and pure driving. But 25+ for that? 3 grand for 50/50? Not for me. I am not saying we need an STI, but I really hope we get a turbo. But why make a turbo now, people will buy them as is.

The g37 is worse than the 370. I remember a few months ago when I made a gigantic list and wrote all this down, I don't know where it went. No bmw in the range, no audi or other VWs. I solely went off FR before, in making my purchase. My daily driver needs to have a good fun potential. To me, 4 wheel drive is for offroading, drifting, or super car power. The MX5 is ridiculously expensive. I tried to find things better, and I fail.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 09-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #75
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:

I care about spelling! But that is just me, I think...
What about grammar and sentence structure?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03

What about grammar and sentence structure?
Indeed! Honestly, the most important to me is punctuation. Run on sentences can be very hard to follow.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #77
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgo062

Uh oh...You want to pull up next to me at the light? I'll spank your butt and not in the way your thinking. LOL I'm from the South and know plenty of female v8 drivers a couple of girlees ride Harley's and a few drive 18 wheels. Wow we are evolving. Now I won't work on my cars because I hate grease user my nails. Yuck

The correct answer is buy what you like. The V6 is no Yugo.
I'm sure there are a lot of female v8 drivers in the south, just not in Miami or anywhere close.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87
A family friend drag raced me at a stoplight (for fun) in a mini-van and damn near won. It was embarrassing.
Oh man, that suck!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #78
Road Trip!

Quote:

Indeed! Honestly, the most important to me is punctuation. Run on sentences can be very hard to follow.
That's good that you like punctuation I think people need to stop blaming their phones for their English errors because it's really getting ridiculous you know like when people put the wrong emphasis on the wrong syllable and it changes the entire word or when people use jibber ish as if it were an actual language yee haw!

: )
Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:

A charger over a Mustang? A chrysler?seriously? Unless it is an SRT, I would sooner take a Focus.

I care about spelling! But that is just me, I think...

So, you have 22,000 USD. You can be OUT THE DOOR with a 305 hp, 6 speed, front rear, brand new. 10 year bumper to bumper costs 980. So...how much is a 300 hp Subaru? Honda? Infiniti? Dollar for dollar, nothing compares. The Camaro is closest, but the v6 sucks in my opinion. Nothing new compares. What else has 300hp and gets anywhere near the same fuel economy? Then add price?

I would sooner get a v6, and do add ons to max power, before getting a GT. no disrespect guys, but when I think about how often I use power, compared to how often I am just driving, I do not need that extra power for the extra cost. 91 dollars a month for full coverage, v8 is more. Worse fuel economy in v8. Higher bAse price. To me, there is no point unless you are buying this as a track car, or have extra money to waste. Can bolt ons completely equal a GT? Maybe not. But if you took the price difference, did intake, full exhaust, and whatever else you want, you would be approaching the GT, and still have lower insurance, crazy good mpg and cost LESS.

But I keep it as a daily driver, too. Within 5 grand of the v6, the Camaro barely compares, everything else doesn't compare at all. Tit for tat, pound for pound, standard v6 Mustang is the best car on the market right now. Heck, go to a Ford dealership and find me a Focus that is cheaper. Everyone I see is around 24,000. (I know they exist, but I never see them. I see a lot of Fiestas that cost more than a v6 Mustang!)
Look man it's my opinion. Right or wrong. Misspelled words an all. I respect your views about this subject. When did I say Chrysler? Why do people like to twist words. To be honest, it would've been a truck over a v6 mustang. Also if I really wanted a mustang that bad, I would buy a older year at a more respectable price. I love the sound of a v8 and the 4.6. Just incase your wondering again. At that point HP would be out the window.

The whole car sales man tactic of why it's better don't make it right. It's an opinion and that's that.

No v6 mustang unless it's an Eco boost 500 hp one in the year 2015. Then well talk. I have been known to change my mind from time to time. Not today.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Instead of v6 vs v8 thread,...I say lets turn this into a "mines bigger" thread. I'll start,....mines bigger and better AND my dad can beat up your dad. BOOOM!!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Buy the 8. That's what mustang was truly built for, if you are going for mpg, you came to the wrong place brother.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #82
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker
Buy the 8. That's what mustang was truly built for, if you are going for mpg, you came to the wrong place brother.
Agreed. If your worried about mpg, you should be in a ford focus or a Prius. I don't even know what mpg I get, and I don't really care to know what it is either.

The thing that doesn't make a mustang prestigious is the fact that it's mass marketed with different models and can be owned by people in various financial situations. Even a gt500 is less prestigious than some similar price range cars that are marketed towards one audience.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I just got caught up on this thread. Although all the commentary and reasoning was highly entertaining, it could have ended with the second post by DWC... "If you have to ask, get a V-6". That about sums it up!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of female v8 drivers in the south, just not in Miami or anywhere close.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Oh man, that suck!
You live in Miami? That's awesome....Never been there but heard it's beautuful and such a diverse place.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #85

Well 3 pages of reading later.. I am going to make sure that I don't have too many errors nor run-on sentences.. MY ! reasoning for purchasing my selection of the Mustang I bought.. I Enjoy power and gas mileage. I like the styling and also the comfort. I live in S.Texas. There is alot of nothing in between gas stations. The v6 is duhh not a v8 and I don't expect it to perform like one . Although it barks quite well for what I like. I by no means am out to look like a fool to race a Shelby.
Or think i can
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Plain and simple...

People buy GT's because they are cool. Not for price, not for MPG's. It is just cool. Yes there are newer cars out today that are faster than older GT's, but it is still cool to have one. There is always going to be a faster car because of changing technology in the future. Doesn't matter though. GT's are just cool. I don't care if your V6 is faster than my older V8. You still won't get as much respect as my slower V8 cause in the end, it's still a V6. NOT AS COOL...
Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiebeater

Look man it's my opinion. Right or wrong. Misspelled words an all. I respect your views about this subject. When did I say Chrysler? Why do people like to twist words. To be honest, it would've been a truck over a v6 mustang. Also if I really wanted a mustang that bad, I would buy a older year at a more respectable price. I love the sound of a v8 and the 4.6. Just incase your wondering again. At that point HP would be out the window.

The whole car sales man tactic of why it's better don't make it right. It's an opinion and that's that.

No v6 mustang unless it's an Eco boost 500 hp one in the year 2015. Then well talk. I have been known to change my mind from time to time. Not today.
I am not saying you are wrong, or anything. Your opinion is your opinion, that is cool. But people are saying the GT is SO much better, as if one is stupid for getting a 6.

Difference between v6 and v8.
100hp
Fog lamps
Faux gas cap

So, "IT'S JUST COOL" says what? For someone who only has one car, as a daily driver, it seems pointless to spend 7 thousand dollars, pay more money in insurance, to get a little faster to the speed limit.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

^^^ what this dude said @mustang06gt not te one right before
Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So if you can only have one car, and want good fuel economy, you would get a yaris or vitz? That is sad, man.

I want to get good mileage, but I like to enjoy myself, too. I can afford a GT. As a daily driver, in Cleveland snow, working in west Cleveland and living in East Cleveland, no track days ever, performance and city driving, you would take a v8 or GT500? Even if I could afford a 500, I would not buy it. I can not keep it in my garage, and take care of her. I would not pay 7 k to have a car that costs MORE to insure, gets WORSE mileage, and is just a bit faster to 35 mph. Well, I go 39 in 35s, but still.

That makes no sense at all, to me. I can't believe you would suggest a yaris/vitz to someone. I wouldn't to a friend, if I liked them lol

Your 25,000 focus gets 34 mpg? Cool. My last tank was 36. Yea, it was 22.3k before a plan or rebates. Oh, your focus doesn't have 300 hp?

Now replace focus with yaris/vitz, and that conversation becomes MORE depressing.
Everyone makes the v6 out like it is not a true muscle car or anything because it is a 6. Wow, so what? Who care about cylinders? No one cares about power to weight ratio? About performance? Unless one uses the performance, it is NOT better to have a GT.

So you do not track it, and just have a GT. sweet, really fast to that red light. Really fast to the speed limit.

When one compares how much non performance driving, to performance driving, what do you do more? Unless you already own your house, have childrens college paid for, and are making plenty of money - or you just have no financial concerns or prepping in the world- then buying a GT, 500, or boss is just overkill for a grocery getter. I do not need 300hp to take my wife to dinner and a movie. But it is loud, fun, and sporty. It makes driving a BLAST! Would 412-20 be more fun? Probably. Is it worth paying 7k, more insurance, and way more for fuel? No. 30-35 mpg at all times while still abusing 300 hp is fantastic, and if you do not track or need 400hp on your daily commute, then it seems like a waste.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #90

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Everyone makes the v6 out like it is not a true muscle car or anything because it is a 6. Wow, so what? Who care about cylinders? No one cares about power to weight ratio? About performance? Unless one uses the performance, it is NOT better to have a GT.

So you do not track it, and just have a GT. sweet, really fast to that red light. Really fast to the speed limit.

When one compares how much non performance driving, to performance driving, what do you do more? Unless you already own your house, have childrens college paid for, and are making plenty of money - or you just have no financial concerns or prepping in the world- then buying a GT, 500, or boss is just overkill for a grocery getter. I do not need 300hp to take my wife to dinner and a movie. But it is loud, fun, and sporty. It makes driving a BLAST! Would 412-20 be more fun? Probably. Is it worth paying 7k, more insurance, and way more for fuel? No. 30-35 mpg at all times while still abusing 300 hp is fantastic, and if you do not track or need 400hp on your daily commute, then it seems like a waste.
....yeah. I care about cylinders.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Then, why have a Mustang at all??? You have a Mustang because Mustangs are COOL. GT'd are COOLER. It's not about getting to the light faster. It's just about the feeling of sitting in a car that turns more heads than a V6 Stang. Get over the fact of:

A- being scared of too much power

B- not being able to afford what you really want

That's what it really comes down to...

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Edit: GT's not GT'd
Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Honestly what most of you v6 haters don't realize is the mustang was an executive style car with a straight 6 when it was introduced. Also the sales of the v6 greatly exceed the sales of the v8 cars and with out them you probably wouldn't be able to by one now. People have their reasons for buying a 6 over an 8 an their is no reason to knock them for it.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #93
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Honestly what most of you v6 haters don't realize is the mustang was an executive style car with a straight 6 when it was introduced. Also the sales of the v6 greatly exceed the sales of the v8 cars and with out them you probably wouldn't be able to by one now. People have their reasons for buying a 6 over an 8 an their is no reason to knock them for it.
This
Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #94
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
This thread has run its course, and is now closed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion