5.0 versus gto - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
angelofrat42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 252
5.0 versus gto

My buddy just picked up the 6.0 gto and has an intake and catback exhaust. How does the new 5.0 compare to the gto I know they have roughly the same horsepower so I just wanna know how my new car will compare since I'm in the market and he thinks his car would beat it
angelofrat42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
You should have him, I would think.

You have more power stock for stock.
You weigh a bit less.

And he has several years of losing power and being abused. If you have the same or more mods, you should have him.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 428
Wat bout gear with 331 or 373 or both

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

I had the gto 6.0 and that thing fast so don't slip
Smoke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofrat42
My buddy just picked up the 6.0 gto and has an intake and catback exhaust. How does the new 5.0 compare to the gto I know they have roughly the same horsepower so I just wanna know how my new car will compare since I'm in the market and he thinks his car would beat it
Yours isn't a 5.0 from what I see in your pics.... Unless u mean a modular 5.0 in general... If so then it should be able to take a GTO
gtstyles2 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2

Yours isn't a 5.0 from what I see in your pics.... Unless u mean a modular 5.0 in general... If so then it should be able to take a GTO
Nevermind I read again and saw u were on the market
gtstyles2 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
CZYFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: California
Posts: 419
It depends on the rear gear if he has 3.73 and you have 3.31 or 3.55 he will beat the 5.0, but ifboth had the same rear gears it will be a close race because the gto weighs about 4,600 lbs and the Mustang is 3,600 lbs so you have power to weight but the gto is a beast. So it would be pretty close imo.
__________________

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1953fords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofrat42
My buddy just picked up the 6.0 gto and has an intake and catback exhaust. How does the new 5.0 compare to the gto I know they have roughly the same horsepower so I just wanna know how my new car will compare since I'm in the market and he thinks his car would beat it
I had an encounter with a GTO with the same mods I had just got my 12 GT and only had my race stars on it skinnies in front and big ET streets on back everything else bone stock. 3.31 gears 6 speed manual my car had 700 miles on it. We left the TREE together and I just started to pull away from him pretty good and got to a point about a car length out and he just stayed there never got any closer to me.
1953fords is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZYFAST
It depends on the rear gear if he has 3.73 and you have 3.31 or 3.55 he will beat the 5.0, but ifboth had the same rear gears it will be a close race because the gto weighs about 4,600 lbs and the Mustang is 3,600 lbs so you have power to weight but the gto is a beast. So it would be pretty close imo.
Damn I didn't know they were that heavy... Shouldn't put up much of a fight then if its stock for stock.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
CZYFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: California
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Damn I didn't know they were that heavy... Shouldn't put up much of a fight then if its stock for stock.
Oh yeah I had a friend with one and they are a heavy pos, but seriously they are heavy as hell but if you know how to drive then you can get out in front then hold it like the above post said but yeah the first post said intake and exhaust I think so that changes things just a little but it might just be enough?

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

Actually I just googled the weight of the gto and as it turns out my friend must be looking at something else cause they all say it like 3,765? So Idk what he was thinking?
__________________

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
I've seen one run with a bike, from the bike.. Although 725 to the wheels is a lot in any car
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
The got has torque. That's the only thing you'll have to worry about. From a stop it will be close.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZYFAST

Oh yeah I had a friend with one and they are a heavy pos, but seriously they are heavy as hell but if you know how to drive then you can get out in front then hold it like the above post said but yeah the first post said intake and exhaust I think so that changes things just a little but it might just be enough?

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

Actually I just googled the weight of the gto and as it turns out my friend must be looking at something else cause they all say it like 3,765? So Idk what he was thinking?
My best friend has an 05 gto The door stickers say gross vehicle weight 4645. I have seen it with my own eyes. They are heavy. They run low 13s in the 1/4.
dreamstang is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
All the goats I have seen are also over 4k. Stock for stock you should be good.
DDTCM is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
CZYFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: California
Posts: 419
Curb weight is 3,600 and gross weight is 4,600 so that is what he is talking about so if it was just one guy in the car it was probably 3,800 lbs so he was talking about gross weight which is the car fully.loaded of passengers but yeah 3,600 lbs for curb weight.
__________________

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
angelofrat42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 252
He also is just now learning to drive stick shift while I've had a manual daily driver for 3 years
angelofrat42 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
All the goats I have seen are also over 4k. Stock for stock you should be good.
What's funny is that the GTO's are not terribly big looking cars.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofrat42
He also is just now learning to drive stick shift while I've had a manual daily driver for 3 years
Lol, we'll there is a huge advantage...
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 428
Wats stock rear gear on the gto
Smoke is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke
Wats stock rear gear on the gto
My buddies has a 3.55
dreamstang is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

What's funny is that the GTO's are not terribly big looking cars.
They don't from far away. But next to my escort it does look pretty darn big.
dreamstang is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
CZYFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: California
Posts: 419
Their is a funny pic that has a gto and corvette side by side and since the gto has the same powertrain as the corvettes its the same car just the weight difference, it has a bubble above the corvette that says " I'm with fata$$!" It cracks me up lol
__________________

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZYFAST
Their is a funny pic that has a gto and corvette side by side and since the gto has the same powertrain as the corvettes its the same car just the weight difference, it has a bubble above the corvette that says " I'm with fata$$!" It cracks me up lol
Rofl! You should find that and post it
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What's funny is that the GTO's look like one of my Grandmas slippers.

^^ Fixed.....
DDTCM is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post

^^ Fixed.....
Lmao!
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

^^ Fixed.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Lmao!
Rofl!
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
The gto is a fat a$$
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 24
Personally I would stay far away from those gto's. stock for stock the 5.0 will walk away from it all day, but at the same time who wants to keep these cars stock?. But putting speed aside, the reliability of the gto is just plain pathetic. There is a reason that Pontiac was closed up. I've had four friends over the years who purchased gto's three of them were the 6.0 one of them a 5.7. No lie 4 for 4 had severe rear end problems with less than 20k on the dash. But I guess my 2011 5.0 hasn't really passed the test of time only 16k miles. Knock on wood I've had no problems yet.
Bluebaretoe is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #28
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebaretoe
Personally I would stay far away from those gto's. stock for stock the 5.0 will walk away from it all day, but at the same time who wants to keep these cars stock?. But putting speed aside, the reliability of the gto is just plain pathetic. There is a reason that Pontiac was closed up. I've had four friends over the years who purchased gto's three of them were the 6.0 one of them a 5.7. No lie 4 for 4 had severe rear end problems with less than 20k on the dash. But I guess my 2011 5.0 hasn't really passed the test of time only 16k miles. Knock on wood I've had no problems yet.
Have you seen those rear ends? They are cute. Lol its just amazing how.dinky they look.
dreamstang is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 525
I remember when they came out ,,i went to look at one..I was exspecting a bigger muscle car,,so when the salesman showed me one,,i said that looks like a grandam..It doesnt look nothing like the original gto thats for sure..The mustang and the challenger,,is probably only thing close to what they look like years ago..It was a disappointment when i sen it,,i know they are pretty fast,,but i dont like the way it looks,,kinda insult for what the gto was years ago
__________________
mymustang is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #30
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang
I remember when they came out ,,i went to look at one..I was exspecting a bigger muscle car,,so when the salesman showed me one,,i said that looks like a grandam..It doesnt look nothing like the original gto thats for sure..The mustang and the challenger,,is probably only thing close to what they look like years ago..It was a disappointment when i sen it,,i know they are pretty fast,,but i dont like the way it looks,,kinda insult for what the gto was years ago
they look more like a cavalier to me. i also dont think they look anything like muscle car. i do like the looks of the engine bay. and the interior isnt to bad either. but they are pretty fast.
dreamstang is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
My buddies 10 sec gto all motor, with nitrous who know how fast, he beat a 1300 hp supra
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2034138367.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	768.1 KB
ID:	71028  
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
I remember when they came out ,,i went to look at one..I was exspecting a bigger muscle car,,so when the salesman showed me one,,i said that looks like a grandam..It doesnt look nothing like the original gto thats for sure..The mustang and the challenger,,is probably only thing close to what they look like years ago..It was a disappointment when i sen it,,i know they are pretty fast,,but i dont like the way it looks,,kinda insult for what the gto was years ago
I was the same way when they came out. They reminded me of a Sebring. They can be as fast as they want, I wouldn't own one.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
I don't care how fast that Gto may be, it's a ugly a$$ bubble that's an embarrassment to the iconic GTO. The 5.0 is full of sweet awesomeness and is the bomb. You will beat that big ugly bubble looking vehicle and get the hotties because my mini van is nicer than that GTO. The new GTO is and was a piece of ***** which just contributed to the end of Pontiac. Anyone can make anything fast if they dump enough money into it but the mustang has the whole package.
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
CZYFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: California
Posts: 419
Just remember you are talking about a stock car that makes 350 hp and 340 tq on average....so like the 5.0 with some gearing and mods it can be a beast! I'm a Mustang owner but still have respect for the gto just like the corvette....I just think people don't like the gto because of looks but think about the Mustang in the 87-93 fox body...didn't it look like a stupid escort with a bigger engine? So don't throw stones at one iconic car just because of a body design?
__________________

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZYFAST
Just remember you are talking about a stock car that makes 350 hp and 340 tq on average....so like the 5.0 with some gearing and mods it can be a beast! I'm a Mustang owner but still have respect for the gto just like the corvette....I just think people don't like the gto because of looks but think about the Mustang in the 87-93 fox body...didn't it look like a stupid escort with a bigger engine? So don't throw stones at one iconic car just because of a body design?
Ugly is ugly. I don't care if the car came with 500 HP stock. GM did an embarrassing job on the newer GTO and a complete insult to its heritage. Pontiac had an opportunity to make a awesome retro automobile that stood out and instead they made it look like *****. No wonder the Pontiac line failed, they made junk that broke down and looked horrible. With all that power, Pontiac hardly sold that many GTO's. Granted it had great power but the car was ugly and large number of people didn't buy it despite all its power. You don't see that many out there because most people didn't want it.

As far as the 87 to 93 fox body, while they were not the best looking stang, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing them. Ford sold a a$$ load of them because many people thought they were awesome and loved them. Back in the 80's the fox body was the bomb and every teenager wanted one. The old school 5.0 Gt, white with red, rocked out.
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:02 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.