V6 mustang or 370z Nismo - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I remember when my father purchased a 1984 Nissan 300zx and I was just 10 years old. It was a fun car and reasonably priced around 17k. The mustangs and Camaro's were priced around 14k. Nissan had a great vehicle for a very reasonable competitive price. Nissan lost there minds in the 90's when they were trying to sell 300zx twin Turbo's for 40k. They didn't sell that many and it practically died. The new 370z are nice looking but not that nice for a base model for 33k and barely outperform a 23k v6 stang. Just curious but what are the base low end 370z models running in the 1/4 or 0-60. Just wondering?
On a good day, BOTTOM 13s, and trap ~106mph. And they cost more money because they are better, plain and simple. I know you love your car and there's nothing wrong with that, but you're getting a little ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRGuy94

On a good day, BOTTOM 13s, and trap ~106mph. And they cost more money because they are better, plain and simple. I know you love your car and there's nothing wrong with that, but you're getting a little ridiculous.
I love all mustangs and was sharing my thoughts on how awesome Ford is and there ability to build amazing pony, musscle cars that will either out preform or preform closely to other sports vehicles for thousands less. Ford builds great quality vehicles that last and amazing performance.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #38
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRGuy94 View Post
We need to be honest here... just because it costs more money and a professional driver can get ~13.0 in the 1/4, doesn't make it a better car. This is your opinion.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
We need to be honest here... just because it costs more money and a professional driver can get ~13.0 in the 1/4, doesn't make it a better car. This is your opinion.
I'm not talking about professional drivers, I'm talking about people that own the cars. I like Mustangs as much as the last guy (I've had two and plan on getting another when funds permit) but I'm also realistic. I understand that people like different things, but are you really going to argue that a V6 Mustang is "better" than a 370Z? If you want to spend $25k then the Mustang is a fantastic choice. Hell, if you want to spend $30k it's a great choice. But if you have the money to spend ~$35k on a new sports car then there are better options. The 370Z is one of those.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm not talking about professional drivers, I'm talking about people that own the cars. I like Mustangs as much as the last guy (I've had two and plan on getting another when funds permit) but I'm also realistic. I understand that people like different things, but are you really going to argue that a V6 Mustang is "better" than a 370Z? If you want to spend $25k then the Mustang is a fantastic choice. Hell, if you want to spend $30k it's a great choice. But if you have the money to spend ~$35k on a new sports car then there are better options. The 370Z is one of those.
I think one could respectfully argue the v6 mustang is a BETTER value in terms of reliability, power and performance in a sports like vehicle compared to the base 370Z that is roughly 10k more. I think one could argue that all mustang models are the BEST deal in America for a sports like car in terms of price, performance and reliability. Perhaps the 370Z is not overpriced when in fact Ford has the V6 mustang grossly under priced. Ford wants to sell vehicles and that's why the mustang has been around since the 60's and never stopped being made. You see way more mustangs than 300, 350 or 370Z's out there. Heck, I see more 70 plus k vettes than I see 350 or 370z's and there double its price.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think one could respectfully argue the v6 mustang is a better value in terms of reliability, power and performance in a sports like vehicle compared to the base 370Z that is roughly 10k more. I think one could argue that all mustang models are the best deal in America for a sports like car in terms of price for performance and reliability. Perhaps the 370Z is not overpriced when in fact Ford has the V6 mustang grossly under priced. But Ford wants to sell vehicles and that's why the mustang has been around since the 60's and never stopped being made. You see way more mustangs than 370Z's out there. Heck, I see more 60k vettes than I see 350 or 370z's.
The problem with this line of thinking is that you are comparing cars in two different segments. As someone posted before, the cars in the Z's "class" are cars like the Boxster/Cayman, Audi TT, etc. People just don't cross-shop those cars with V6 Mustangs. It's a great car "for the money." But that is an important caveat. "Well it's slower, doesn't handle as well, weighs a couple/few hundred pounds more, isn't a two-seater, is significantly longer/wider, and doesn't have the interior of a sports car at all... but it is cheaper!" That's a flawed way of comparing cars. Like I've said before, Mustangs are great performance values. Hell, if I won the lottery I'd have a GT with the glass roof in my garage as a daily driver. But liking something doesn't mean you have to put in on an unreasonable pedestal. If you want/need a sporty 4 seater and have $25k to spend it's a great car to consider. If you want a 2 seat sports car and have $35k+ to spend you probably wouldn't look at it twice.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #42
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

The problem with this line of thinking is that you are comparing cars in two different segments. As someone posted before, the cars in the Z's "class" are cars like the Boxster/Cayman, Audi TT, etc. People just don't cross-shop those cars with V6 Mustangs. It's a great car "for the money." But that is an important caveat. "Well it's slower, doesn't handle as well, weighs a couple/few hundred pounds more, isn't a two-seater, is significantly longer/wider, and doesn't have the interior of a sports car at all... but it is cheaper!" That's a flawed way of comparing cars. Like I've said before, Mustangs are great performance values. Hell, if I won the lottery I'd have a GT with the glass roof in my garage as a daily driver. But liking something doesn't mean you have to put in on an unreasonable pedestal. If you want/need a sporty 4 seater and have $25k to spend it's a great car to consider. If you want a 2 seat sports car and have $35k+ to spend you probably wouldn't look at it twice.
The reason I personally feel that the V6 (3.7L) is a better car is because of the total cost of ownership. For what little performance increase you would get between the two, the cost of owning a similarly equipped 370z would be much higher. Off the lot, you're already behind the game because you paid more. All the maintenance for the 370z will be at least 1.5x more than it would with the Mustang sixxer. I'm not sure what MPGs are on the 370z, but I'm willing to guess the sixxer is slightly better. Insurance for the 370z will be higher than the sixxer. Mods? You might as well forget about the 370z. Mods will be more expensive too.

I'm not saying the 370z is a bad ride. I'm sure it's great. I just don't see where it's a better car than the Mustang sixxer.

Also, I'm not saying you don't like Mustangs
Old 10-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That's a good point you have there but the 370 outperforms a mustang v6 in every aspect. As for mods and what not people that buy new cars usually don't mod them that much because of the risk of voiding warranty. I feel that you can't compare both cars for the fact of price and the 370 is on another league.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Experience of ownership > cost of ownership. In my humble opinion, of course.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
That's a good point you have there but the 370 outperforms a mustang v6 in every aspect. As for mods and what not people that buy new cars usually don't mod them that much because of the risk of voiding warranty. I feel that you can't compare both cars for the fact of price and the 370 is on another league.
Agreed.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #45
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
If anything, it's more like this^. You'd have to compare it to a GT to maybe a Boss. Which was discussed earlier on the thread. I'm willing to bet nobody has purchased the 370z in a flat out base model. So given that, the sixxer is not really comparable.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #46
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Experience of ownership > cost of ownership. In my humble opinion, of course.
I accept you humble opinion as an opinion just like I have (if that made any sense)

I'm wondering what the designers intended for this (370z) car to compete with?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
If anything, it's more like this^. You'd have to compare it to a GT to maybe a Boss. Which was discussed earlier on the thread. I'm willing to bet nobody has purchased the 370z in a flat out base model. So given that, the sixxer is not really comparable.
Tons of people buy base 370Zs. A quick search on Ebay shows that. Of course a lot of people get the Touring/Nismo versions as well, but that doesn't nullify the people that buy the base versions. But yes, still not comparable.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

44K Nismo or 44K Boss. Come on. Next someone will tell me the Nismo is on the same level as the Boss.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote:

Tons of people buy base 370Zs. A quick search on Ebay shows that. Of course a lot of people get the Touring/Nismo versions as well, but that doesn't nullify the people that buy the base versions. But yes, still not comparable.
I actually don't see that many on the road and I live between Philadelphia and Baltimore and I don't see that many. Perhaps they don't get driven and are kept in a garage.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Personally, I would get a Boss 302 over a Nismo 370Z. But I would pony up the extra cash and get a base Corvette over either, even though the Boss provides comparable performance.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #50
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

44K Nismo or 44K Boss. Come on. Next someone will tell me the Nismo is on the same level as the Boss.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

I actually don't see that many on the road and I live between Philadelphia and Baltimore and I don't see that many. Perhaps they don't get driven and are kept in a garage.
It make be compared because of cost, but we know who the winner is in that battle.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Z is the better car, Mustang 3.7 is the better value. Don't think anyone can argue that?

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Personally, I would get a Boss 302 over a Nismo 370Z. But I would pony up the extra cash and get a base Corvette over either, even though the Boss provides comparable performance.
Yes!

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

AutoX it'll beat the Boss. Not a chance on a road course though. Or to 60 or 1/4mile.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

I'm wondering what the designers intended for this (370z) car to compete with?
I assume cars like the porsche caymen, boxter, TT, maybe the Miata? Now they have the BRZ/FRS which might be some competition to the Z. In terms of handling, the BRZ/FRS is the better value. Lacks some power but powers easy to make. It's a well balanced car and very light and pretty small. Good combo for auto x. Kinda reminds me of an RX8 actually. Both handle great but lack power. That might be a good comparison. But that's another topic lol.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
Z is the better car, Mustang 3.7 is the better value. Don't think anyone can argue that?

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Yes!

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

AutoX it'll beat the Boss. Not a chance on a road course though. Or to 60 or 1/4mile.
Well I guess that would explain why I rarely see 370Z's on the roadway. The majority of them must be at the AutoX. I don't race in the autox or watch it.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #54
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
I would buy the v6 stang for 10k-15k less and put a turbo/supercharger on it and some suspension mods and you could smoke the wheels off a 370z for the same price as a stock 370z from the factory.
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin View Post
I would buy the v6 stang for 10k-15k less and put a turbo/supercharger on it and some suspension mods and you could smoke the wheels off a 370z for the same price as a stock 370z from the factory.
Please don't use that rationale.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #56
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

Please don't use that rationale.
If you had 35k to spend and could only choose either the 370z or the v6 mustang you would pick the 370z? For 35k you get a stock 370z for 25k you get a v6 mustang and you can build it how you want with performance and suspension mods and smoke the paint off the 370z for the same price. I would choose the V6 and I'm not a V6 mustang fan.
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

Yes!

I was just doing some research on the internet and curious about why I don't see that many 370z's on the road. Then it finally came clear to me after seeing the sales stats. For a 33 to 44k car Nissan has sold 6,099 370z units for 2012 year to date. Those are numbers for units sold in the United States.

2012 year to date sales for Mustang, 55,995 units. Holy Cow. Ford is out selling its pony car almost by 8 times. If the 370z was that wonderful of an automobile it would be selling a lot more than 6,099 units thus far. Heck, Nissan only sold 7,328 370z's for all of the 2011 year. Ford sells more mustangs in one month than that. Those numbers $uck for the 370Z

Do I think the mustang is a better overall vehicle than the 370z. You bet ya! The numbers speak for itself. Its not like the 370z is a 100,000 K plus vehicle and only a limited number of people can afford it. Your talking mid 30k price tag. People all day long are buying sports cars and pony cars for that much.

Maybe the 370Z is better when it comes to racing autox but for all other applications the mustang is way ahead in leadership and value for performance. Heck even GM has sold 9,870 Corvettes year to date for 2012 which is more than the 370z. Not to mention Corvettes cost more and many cases double what the 370z is, however there sales are lower than a car twice the cost. Go figure!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin View Post
If you had 35k to spend and could only choose either the 370z or the v6 mustang you would pick the 370z? For 35k you get a stock 370z for 25k you get a v6 mustang and you can build it how you want with performance and suspension mods and smoke the paint off the 370z for the same price. I would choose the V6 and I'm not a V6 mustang fan.
For $35k I'd probably get a Mustang GT. The danger of saying "well just get ____ that is $____ cheaper and use the rest to make it faster," is where do you draw that line? Throw $20k into a V6 Mustang and blow a Corvette out of the water. Throw $50k at a Mustang GT and decimate a Z06. But gun to my head if I had to choose between a loaded V6 Mustang or a base 370Z, I'd pick the 370Z all day. The 370Z is more expensive than a V6 Mustang because it starts out as a better car.
Quote:
I was just doing some research on the internet and curious about why I don't see that many 370z's on the road. Then it finally came clear to me after seeing the sales stats. For a 33 to 44k car Nissan has sold 6,099 370z units for 2012 year to date. Those are numbers for units sold in the United States.

2012 year to date sales for Mustang, 55,995 units. Holy Cow. Ford is out selling its pony car almost by 8 times. If the 370z was that wonderful of an automobile it would be selling a lot more than 6,099 units thus far. Heck, Nissan only sold 7,328 370z's for all of the 2011 year. Ford sells more mustangs in one month than that. Those numbers $uck for the 370Z

Do I think the mustang is a better overall vehicle than the 370z. You bet ya! The numbers speak for itself. Its not like the 370z is a 100,000 K plus vehicle and only a limited number of people can afford it. Your talking mid 30k price tag. People all day long are buying sports cars and pony cars for that much.

Maybe the 370Z is better when it comes to racing autox but for all other applications the mustang is way ahead in leadership and value for performance. Heck even GM has sold 9,870 Corvettes year to date for 2012 which is more than the 370z. Not to mention Corvettes cost more and many cases double what the 370z is, however there sales are lower than a car twice the cost. Go figure!
Sales figures...really? TWO DIFFERENT SEGMENTS. VERY LITTLE CROSS-SHOPPING. The Civic sells twice as many units as the Mustang, does that make it a better car? For the people that need/want that type of car, yes. Like I said; if you want/need a backseat then you are more likely to look at a Mustang. Personally, I'm not a big fan of backseats. I like the connected feeling that you get when you drive an ACTUAL sports car. The Mustang isn't one of those.

Edit: And for the record, I'm not some 370Z-advocate. This was just the car that was posed in the OP's original question. I'd rather have another S2000 over either, regardless of the hp/tq deficit.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
For $35k I'd probably get a Mustang GT. The danger of saying "well just get ____ that is $____ cheaper and use the rest to make it faster," is where do you draw that line? Throw $20k into a V6 Mustang and blow a Corvette out of the water. Throw $50k at a Mustang GT and decimate a Z06. The 370Z is more expensive than a V6 Mustang because it starts out as a better car.

Sales figures...really? TWO DIFFERENT SEGMENTS. VERY LITTLE CROSS-SHOPPING. The Civic sells twice as many units as the Mustang, does that make it a better car? For the people that need/want that type of car, yes. Like I said; if you want/need a backseat then you are more likely to look at a Mustang. Personally, I'm not a big fan of backseats. I like the connected feeling that you get when you drive an ACTUAL sports car. The Mustang isn't one of those.

Edit: And for the record, I'm not some 370Z-advocate. This was just the car that was posed in the OP's original question. I'd rather have another S2000 over either, regardless of the hp/tq deficit.
+100 I'm with you on this one
Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I think the 370z is fantastic in all trims from seeing them in person and a little research. The newest iteration of V6 Mustangs are very nice as well......and affordable. I'm Pretty sure in Auto x the 370z does well from what's been said. Lets be honest...this is 'Merica. We like straight line racing and going around in a big circle so who cares that the 370z wins in Auto x. I would buy a 370z if it was more affordable or appealing in some regard. It just isn't and its backed up by poor sales. I'm sure it has a niche. In my opinion the sticker price is what's hurting it at levels because you have better values and performance else where. To include Mustangs.
3dStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For $35k I'd probably get a Mustang GT. The danger of saying "well just get ____ that is $____ cheaper and use the rest to make it faster," is where do you draw that line? Throw $20k into a V6 Mustang and blow a Corvette out of the water. Throw $50k at a Mustang GT and decimate a Z06. The 370Z is more expensive than a V6 Mustang because it starts out as a better car.

Well Nissan really isn't selling that many 370z sports cars because those sales numbers are terrible. Even the Corvettes that many are nearly double in price are selling more units than the 370z. Both the mustang and 370z are high performance vehicles with sports car like suspensions.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

+100 I'm with you on this one
Agreed
3dStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The v6 and the z are very similar. People can act like they are not, but they really are.
3.7. Similar power, FR. Basic build quality will be better on the z. And you lose two seats. Is that worth the money?

Not to me. If the Z was the same price as the GT, I would still get the GT. If it was the same as the 6, I would probably still get the 6, actually, because Ford has worked so hard to make it so efficient. The 350s were nice. But Datsun did the GTR, and their electric programs, and have forgotten about it.

To me, it is an expensive mid life crisis. It is not too powerful to kill yourself, porsche or corvet (intentional), not too crazily priced, buying a Datsun never seems like a wild purchase and they are nice inside. I think tit for tat material quality is nicer in them. But NOTHING justifies the price. It is priced that way because it can be. Just like Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti. They will sell how many they want.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

According to Edmunds a 2013 Base 370Z, sports package and 7 speed automatic has a true market selling value of just over 36k. A 2013 Mustang 5.0, trac pack, and 6 speed automatic has a true market selling value of just under 32k.

That's a 4k difference for the Nissan. That's insane. Just because the Mustang has 4 seats, does not make it less of a sports car. To say only a vehicle with two seats is a sports car, respectfully, thats hog wash. My buddy has a 911 Porsche turbo, AWD that seats 4 and that Porsche is a sports car. To say the mustang is not in the same division as the 370z or same class is a little screwy. The 5.0 certainly fits the criteria for the definition of a sports car.

Certainly I'm not comparing sold units and price to a Nissan Maxima or Honda Civic because they are in a different class of vehicle. The mustang and Z are very similar and were build for performance, acceleration and handling.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Ok.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Looking at a car's stats on paper is a flawed way of judging a car's performance. Let's look at a 2002 Mazda miata for instance. It has 140hp. Holy $**t you're saying, that's no sportscar! But, quite contrary. The suspension is remarkably stiff, but still driveable, and the engine actually has amazing throttle response. Despite having such a small amount of power, it still drives like a fun-as-heck sportscar. And how much does a brand new miata go for? With 200hp in the current model, the base goes for 23ish and the fully loaded pushes $27k. Sure for $27 you could also get a new v6 mustang that would kill the little miata on the strip. BUT take that little miata to a very windy road (see "the dragon") and ooooooohhh baby. They are so light on their feet, you can dance a miata like there's no tomorrow. Unless I was going to practice my drifting, I'd pick the miata all day over the mustang, even though I'm a mustang guy at heart. Why? It's all about the feel of the car. Sports cars are specifically designed to excel at specific traits, sometimes even ones that don't show up on paper. The miata is designed to be a lightweight carving car. The 370s are setup to also handle very well, but have more power when they need it (hence the bigger price tag). Mustangs are built to be well-rounded. Face it. The v6 stang has a nice bit of power, but not a crazy, tire-burning amount like the 5.0. They can handle pretty decent, but smaller, lighter cars will leave them behind in places where there's a lot of corners/momentum shifts. They are specifically designed to be balanced, but that also means they don't stand out in one particular trait.
Until you drive something very different, you probably won't get this. If you don't, you should go test drive a new miata. It will open your eyes more than you'd think.
There is a base 370z parked at my work every day, so the argument that they are rare, and therefore poor quality, isn't necessarily true. I've seen quite a bit of 370s around, they aren't that rare. I'm also friends with people who have a friend that is a 370nismo owner that I've seen driving around base. And from what I've heard, the guy loves his car more than anything in the world. If it was a mediocre car it would never sell at that price. I guarantee that car drives amazing. Not the same as a mustang, but probably still amazing. It's all about the feel and what you want your car to excel at. These two cars have two different goals
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAndAsphalt View Post
Looking at a car's stats on paper is a flawed way of judging a car's performance. Let's look at a 2002 Mazda miata for instance. It has 140hp. Holy $**t you're saying, that's no sportscar! But, quite contrary. The suspension is remarkably stiff, but still driveable, and the engine actually has amazing throttle response. Despite having such a small amount of power, it still drives like a fun-as-heck sportscar. And how much does a brand new miata go for? With 200hp in the current model, the base goes for 23ish and the fully loaded pushes $27k. Sure for $27 you could also get a new v6 mustang that would kill the little miata on the strip. BUT take that little miata to a very windy road (see "the dragon") and ooooooohhh baby. They are so light on their feet, you can dance a miata like there's no tomorrow. Unless I was going to practice my drifting, I'd pick the miata all day over the mustang, even though I'm a mustang guy at heart. Why? It's all about the feel of the car. Sports cars are specifically designed to excel at specific traits, sometimes even ones that don't show up on paper. The miata is designed to be a lightweight carving car. The 370s are setup to also handle very well, but have more power when they need it (hence the bigger price tag). Mustangs are built to be well-rounded. Face it. The v6 stang has a nice bit of power, but not a crazy, tire-burning amount like the 5.0. They can handle pretty decent, but smaller, lighter cars will leave them behind in places where there's a lot of corners/momentum shifts. They are specifically designed to be balanced, but that also means they don't stand out in one particular trait.
Until you drive something very different, you probably won't get this. If you don't, you should go test drive a new miata. It will open your eyes more than you'd think.
There is a base 370z parked at my work every day, so the argument that they are rare, and therefore poor quality, isn't necessarily true. I've seen quite a bit of 370s around, they aren't that rare. I'm also friends with people who have a friend that is a 370nismo owner that I've seen driving around base. And from what I've heard, the guy loves his car more than anything in the world. If it was a mediocre car it would never sell at that price. I guarantee that car drives amazing. Not the same as a mustang, but probably still amazing. It's all about the feel and what you want your car to excel at. These two cars have two different goals
Ding ding ding we have a winner... and that is why my next car will be another S2000
Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah that's like saying hmmmmm. 370z or boss 302. Duh.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

If your a dude driving a Mazda Miata then you might want to check your manhood. That car is right there with a VW Bug when it comes to being manly. I don't care how good that Miata handles, that's a girly vehicle and no straight guy would drive that as being his car. Maybe it's dudes wife's car but there is no way the Miata is in the league with a Mustang.

I think the 370Z is a good looking car but the sold year to date stats speak clearly on what a large majority of people think. The stats $uck because its way over priced for the performance one gets. People may think the 370z is nice but it ain't that nice for 36k plus. If a consumer has 35K to spend on sports car or sports like car clearly people are buying the Camaro or mustang 8 times more than the Z car. Ford has really set the mustang in being top class and take the lead in performance, power and handling sports car or sports like car. The sales numbers don't lie. If the 370Z was a great sports car and offer way more performance as the mustang, then its sales would show that and way more units would be sold. The 370z is similar in price to the 5.0. The stats don't lie.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, let's be fair as some say and not lump in the v6 mustang in. Lets just compare a 32k mustang 5.0 to 36K 370Z. That's a fair comparison of vehicles. Year to date Ford has sold approximately 58,000 mustangs for 2012. At least half, were 5.0 models so that's 29,000 units sold year to date. Sales stats, the 5.0 is outselling the Z car by roughly 3.5 times assuming none were Nismo or touring sales. For every base 2012 370Z one sees, there are minimal 3, 5.0's. Ford rocks. Nissan only sold thus far 6,099 z units and that included all its models, base, touring and Nismo. Half the Z sales are most likely the base 36K model which sold units would be 3,500. Now actually the 32k 5.0 is selling 8 times more than the 36K Z.

If Nissan sold there base Z car for starting around 22 to 26 k, they would sell way more units and give the Camaro and mustang a run in sales. For 36k , Nissan better beef up the performance numbers to compete with the 5.0 and Camaro SS sales. And for 44k Nismo, Nissan is smoking crack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Tags
v6 mustang