Any corvette owners ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Any corvette owners ?

Just wondering if anyone owns a 08+ corvette and how you like it compared to the 5.0. I love mustangs but want to look at other cars at price point of a used 12 gt. Plan on picking up a used 5.0 in march. I don't need a backseat or trunk and a 08 vette can be had for 29k range. Just thinking any opinions welcome . No this isn't a bash on a car thread lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm a big fan of the c6 vettes. Especially the ls3 cars. If your looking for a dd you are going to want to replace the seats. The stockers really are terrible. The vette isn't as well built as the new 5.0 imo and i dont care for the long shift linkage. They also tend to kick right on a solid power shift alarmingly. The vette is also a lot of money to modify vs the 5.0. But there is no denying the performance value you get in the vette. And repairs are cheap. Biggest thing I would look for is a z51 performance package car and unless you need it, skip the satnav option. I've driven at least 7 c6 vettes (2 z06s) and i enjoyed all of them. If you can get a z and your back is good go for it. That ls7 is beautiful.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Repairs on a vette cheap ? I don't think so. When you say vette at the parts store, the price just tripled. They are fast, but when you put many miles on them, they fall apart just as fast.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
My issue is I can't comfortably sit in them. The c5 isn't as bad.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Repairs on a vette cheap ? I don't think so. When you say vette at the parts store, the price just tripled. They are fast, but when you put many miles on them, they fall apart just as fast.
I disagree. A good friend of mine just upgraded from a 97 v6 mustang to a 01 c5 FRC... With 180,000 miles on it and only minor problems. And as long as you take care of them, they don't fall apart. Just like any car for that matter.

And why get a c6 when you can just get a c5 z06? Performance mods would be slightly cheaper vs the c6

Just my .02

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I just wana keep a open mind since I'm spending that kind of money on ethir car . Mod wise only thing would be rims and sc if I went that route. The mpg looks to be about the same. Only worry will be winter time might be worse then driving a mustang in snow. I wonder if they will negotiate on a used vette at the dealer. Both cars are amazing hands down I just see the vette as more of a sports car. I'm only 24 but insurance is same on 5.0 or vette argh so hard friends are bad influences lol
Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
My parents have an 03 (C5) 50th anniversary edition, pretty fun and comfy car. They've only let me drive it 3 times though while my dad was in the passenger seat watching everything I was doing (it was to practice driving stick).

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lol def can see that. I mean I've always loved vettes and around here I see them less. I will feel really bad driving it in winter but my work is 5 mins away. And il own a vette at 24. I know they have just as much going for them as the new 5.0. But one thing that kinda makes me lean that way is the targa top it's just awesome
Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Lol def can see that. I mean I've always loved vettes and around here I see them less. I will feel really bad driving it in winter but my work is 5 mins away. And il own a vette at 24. I know they have just as much going for them as the new 5.0. But one thing that kinda makes me lean that way is the targa top it's just awesome
Ours has a targa top, it's awesome!

HID end all thread
Old 12-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

And I know stick for stick a c6 and 5.0 run same times, but a vette can go 150+ lol
Old 12-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have heard reliability issues with corvette, in general.

Not as in particular situations, but I have heard about it. Mustangs, Zs, I do not hear much bad about, more just stupid drivers.

I wish I knew more...but at the least, maybe it is worth while to chat it up and research issues. You probably already did, but just saying.

Have you thought about 350zs?

I would take the GT because at the end of the day, a 12 is more reliable than an 08, unless it's a chrysler lol

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Haha only cars il ever consider are corvettes and of course mustangs only cars that have ever appealed to me

Mustang
Exterior way more customizable more unique
Cheaper to mod
Bigger brother hood
Fairly new used 2012
Better gas mpg ?
Sounds bad *** lol

Corvette
Older 05-08 vette
Same power as 5.0 (ls2)
Lighter
Not as customizable
Bad interior
End of day it's still a vette
Pantie dropper more so then mustang
HUD is sick
My favorite TARGA TOP lol
Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, you're young. Get the vette and beat the **** bout of it.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
Honestly, you're young. Get the vette and beat the **** bout of it.
+1

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha just keep going back and forth 28 k is Limit and would hate to go from my 05 to another 05 car lol so well see what's available come march. The 5.0 has alot nicer interior
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Hahaha just keep going back and forth 28 k is Limit and would hate to go from my 05 to another 05 car lol so well see what's available come march. The 5.0 has alot nicer interior
If you get a vette, don't cheap out. Wait until you have the money and get the 3LZ (or 3ZL, forgot which it is) trim and some more options.

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I wouldn't mind owning a blacked out Z06 Vettes are beautiful cars.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I had this same predicament when I got my 5.0. The vetts are HORRIBLE on rear tires that run 400-600 a piece in the rear from the research I did and you will replace those twice a year. I found out that just because I could easily afford the payment and insurance didn't mean I could afford the maintenance. Also 5.0's are can smoke a c5 run even with c5 z06 and will get walked by c6
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Tires would be not that big of a issue I mean alot depends on how you drive. My big concern is winter driving as I can't have 2 cars they both will suck in winter. But the vette is a amazing car a mustang can't go 180mph. Other then that the mpg is same mods cost a little more . But the targa top is awesome I'm wondering if a ls2 can run with a 5.0
Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
I had this same predicament when I got my 5.0. The vetts are HORRIBLE on rear tires that run 400-600 a piece in the rear from the research I did and you will replace those twice a year. I found out that just because I could easily afford the payment and insurance didn't mean I could afford the maintenance. Also 5.0's are can smoke a c5 run even with c5 z06 and will get walked by c6
We have has our corvette for almost a year. Still has good tread left on the tires it came with from the person we got it from

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
We've had our corvette almost a year and still have the same tires from the previous owner, they have good tread also.

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
That is what I was told by dealer after dealer and m roommate. But hey they could have been wrong or just had a heavy foot
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I would go with the 5.0. Corvettes are really cool, but if you don't have a second car for DD then that's just not wise in my opinion. I know several people with Corvettes and none of them suggest using it as a DD.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Only bad thing is it sits low what else is bad about it for a dd? I love both just think due to the vettes design you get pushed in your seat more. I'd end up with a 05-07 probably or a 12 5.0
Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Only bad thing is it sits low what else is bad about it for a dd? I love both just think due to the vettes design you get pushed in your seat more. I'd end up with a 05-07 probably or a 12 5.0
Sits low so if your in a area where it snows, well ya that's not a good combo. Lol. They do last a long time but when things do break expect to pay a bit more. And the lack of some real interior space. Besides the fact I've got a family, I'd still get the 5.0. I like the stretch my legs, and hers. Plus the 5.0 would be newer with less miles.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I would go with the 5.0. Corvettes are really cool, but if you don't have a second car for DD then that's just not wise in my opinion. I know several people with Corvettes and none of them suggest using it as a DD.
Ours is kind of a DD, my dad works from home Tuesdays and Thursdays and my parents both get weekends off. So the vette usually gets driven 3 days a week.

They do have to pull out of the driveway at a pretty good angle though, and also crawl over speed bumps. And on the steep entrances to parking lots. I LOVE Corvettes, they are my absolute favorite cars ever but would not get one as a DD

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Quote:

Sits low so if your in a area where it snows, well ya that's not a good combo. Lol. They do last a long time but when things do break expect to pay a bit more. And the lack of some real interior space. Besides the fact I've got a family, I'd still get the 5.0. I like the stretch my legs, and hers. Plus the 5.0 would be newer with less miles.
There is plenty of space in vettes, I can stretch my legs plenty, and the steering wheel is fully adjustable so it can come toward you so you don't have to adjust your seat for reach of the wheel, only pedals. The memory seats are also nice so that you don't have to figure out how to adjust your seat back, just press a button and it changes everything for you.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Btw, it's an 03 50th anniversary edition with about 47k on it

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I'm single no family I don't need a trunk or back seats lol the winter will suck but the roads by me are always plowed lol trust my I want a 5.0 to but you can't tell me the vette isn't more of a panty dropper car lol
Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I'm single no family I don't need a trunk or back seats lol the winter will suck but the roads by me are always plowed lol trust my I want a 5.0 to but you can't tell me the vette isn't more of a panty dropper car lol
Corvettes have a hatch with a decent amount of space actually. And, whenever I mention to someone I know about our corvette they always say "You have a corvette?!?!?!"

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
I would agree the vette probably is more of a panty dropper, i think because of its style and they are much more rare than the mustang(around me anyway). But i would take a mustang, done the way i wanted over a vette anyday. But vettes are sick. Especially blacked out
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31 View Post
I wouldn't mind owning a blacked out Z06 Vettes are beautiful cars.
Z06's are very cool indeed.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #31
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
^A lot of truth to this. Though, I want to get a beater as a daily driver for my 04 Mach 1. My friends Mom bought a 2004 Vette and has used it as a daily driver for several years. She finally decided she had had enough and bought a Solara as her DD and drives the Vette on nice days. His Dad has a 2002 Trans Am special edition. HIPO family.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Key word family lol I'm young in school and work full time. I can't afford to pay two insurances and I don't have to parking spots. ( I have a 08 cbr 1k sportbike I pay insurance on) and my current car. It's very hard choice to be honest. Both are amazing just when I see a vette I get jealous lol But my car parked next to a vette mine would be more one off. Mustangs are great due to you can make it yours not only engine wise but body kits and such. The vette that isn't as true
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Key word family lol I'm young in school and work full time. I can't afford to pay two insurances and I don't have to parking spots. ( I have a 08 cbr 1k sportbike I pay insurance on) and my current car. It's very hard choice to be honest. Both are amazing just when I see a vette I get jealous lol But my car parked next to a vette mine would be more one off. Mustangs are great due to you can make it yours not only engine wise but body kits and such. The vette that isn't as true
That's another thing too. Though there are actually a lot of things you can do to a Corvette body wise, not much actually looks that good. Where as with a Mustang is almost the total opposite. There is a lot out there and the majority of it actually looks good. But that's just me.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

That's another thing too. Though there are actually a lot of things you can do to a Corvette body wise, not much actually looks that good. Where as with a Mustang is almost the total opposite. There is a lot out there and the majority of it actually looks good. But that's just me.
What I think (in my own opinion) is that a mustang is meant to be modified and personalized to your liking, but a corvette is supposed to be clean and sleek with few mods to it. Even with only a few things you are able to do to a vette exterior wise you can still make it yours.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I do think that stock corvettes look sexy as hell though... I'm anxiously waiting for the release of details by Chevy on the C7 on Jan 13

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111
Tires would be not that big of a issue I mean alot depends on how you drive. My big concern is winter driving as I can't have 2 cars they both will suck in winter. But the vette is a amazing car a mustang can't go 180mph. Other then that the mpg is same mods cost a little more . But the targa top is awesome I'm wondering if a ls2 can run with a 5.0
Imo, a good driver in the ls2 vette will crush the 5.0. But I've met lots of bad vette drivers. I also hate the shift linkage in the vette. Feels like spaghetti.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion