Could someone please help me on car buying? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Could someone please help me on car buying?

I am currently looking around for cars. Mainly on Craigslist, cause I don't have too much money to play with (about $3,000). I found two cars that I'm really interested in, one is a 70's VW Beetle, with a brand new engine (doesn't even have 1,000 on it). Also, there is a 60's Ford Mustang for sale as well, with the I6 engine. I have absolutely no knowledge of cars older than 80's. I was wondering if they were good cars, and will be reliable. Thanks!
jerad9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you need reliable transportation and not just a hobby, then I wouldn't buy either. If you're heart is set on one of these cars, be prepared to pay much money over the years to keep them on the road. VW's are great with fanstatic motors, but the air cooled motor could be trouble if you live in an extremely cold or hot climate. The heater works off engine heat, not coolant temperature. A 60's Mustang for $3,000? Beware unless you personally know and trust the person selling it to you. The ford inline 6 cylinder is a good dependable motor, but one with 30+ years on it will cost you a few bucks to maintain.

If you just need transportation, find the newest model possible, preferaby newer than 1998. There are a lot of good cars out there for $3,000. And the less expersive American cars after 1998 are good reliable cars....but then again, look at miles and bring along a car guy.
nayati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You gotta be careful because people can be lying when they say it has a new engine... make sure you ask for receipts, and if they claim to not have any then bring someone that knows alot about cars with you to check out the rebuilt or new motor. also make sure you test drive it around.
derrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion