First Car for a 17 year old girl? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

First Car for a 17 year old girl?

I am sixteen years old, but I am turning seventeen in April. I don&#039;t have my license yet, but I am planning on getting it at the beginning of this summer. I know this is a kind of stupid thing to look for in a car, but I really really want a yellow one >_< haha.

There is a yellow ford mustang for sale in my neighbor hood, used. It is 2003, 4.6L and V8. I don&#039;t really know what that all means, but maybe someone could tell me? I&#039;ve read that a lot of people don&#039;t recommend eight cylinder for beginning drivers. I don&#039;t really understand the whole danger of having a lot of power in a car, unless you are planning to go fast? I am a really cautious driver, and generally like to go like ten below the speed limit >_<. The car also has about 68,000 (or maybe it was 6800 I don&#039;t remember) miles on it. It was also pretty cheap.

Is this an okay car for me?
gillecriosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

4.6L refers to the displacement of the motor. it refers to the size in liters of the engine, and V8 means that the engine has eight compression cylinders arranged in a "V" pattern with 4 cylinders on each top of the "V". the more cylinders a car has the smoother it will run generally and the engine wont have to work as hard to achieve power. having a lot of power in a car means that is easy to accelerate too quickly or drive too quickly and is why most people do not recommend them for beginning drivers. and i would have to agree. for your first car get an old v6 powered car or a newer 4 cylinder car.

also i wouldnt get that model mustang, it is a kind of lame car. it will be cheaper because of the success of the new design but in my mind it is worth it to pay the extra money.

I recommend a Chevy Cobalt. You can get a well equipped, very low mileage Cobalt for around 15,000, and the majority of used Cobalts will be around 10-14k. i got a used 05 LS with every option for around 14,500 with less then 10,000 miles. on reliability, i have had only one minor problem with the cobalt, caused by its previous owner, with the steering wheel mounted volume controls, but my dealer fixed it for free, so no harm no foul.

it is best to try to get an 07 or later cause that is when GM&#039;s 100,000 mile power train warranty started, and if you get an 07 you want the LT model. Cause in 2006 the base-line cobalt was re badged as the LS model and lacks many modern conveniences like cruse control and power windows and locks.

The cobalt is a fantastic car, i pull 31 MPG with the 2.2L engine with an automatic transmission on a regular basis which is pretty decent. Everyone who i know who has driven it loves it, even my friends that hate GM vehicles. it truly is a fantastic car and i think that the cobalt has more personality and passion then a Honda or Toyota.
pueblo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You&#039;re an idiot.

The insurance will be too high for you, a fast car with a new female driver?

Get a crappy car as your first, surveys show that 1/4 of new drivers will total their cars in their first year of driving.

1/2 of new drivers will be in a crash.

Mustangs are very sensitive, and definitely not a beginners car. Get a Taurus, or something.
meturato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you are careful then yes. The good thing is v8 mustangs have plentiful parts out there, and a good resale compared to the v6.

The "V" comes from the actual shape of the motor. Compared to a in-line/straight or a Rotary. The motor looks like a V.

The 8 means how many cylinders it has.

Yes, its got power. and has the potential to have a lot more.
auley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I&#039;m a female and my first car at 16 was a V8 mustang. Many young people MALE and female are not ready for a V8. It&#039;s easy to lose control of them. Just get a little honda or something. A mustang is a good first car, but it&#039;s a lot of power for a young driver.
imported_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

the insurance will be insane for a teen driver in a v8 mustang, if you dont care about going fast find something that gets better gas milage and is more reliable than a mustang.
bernardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

acura integra
acura vigor
acura legend
honda civic
honda del sol
honda prelude
honda accord
nissan sentra
nissan maxima
nissan altima
nissan 240sx
nissan 300zx
toyota camry
toyota solara
toyota celica
nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yellow or Red sports car...plan on getting pulled over. Stick to a conservative color and fly under the radar...especially at your age.
templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

get your license first then well tall.
thats like me saying im going to buy a ferrari but i dont have any money
lleweliyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion