2009 mustang gt vs pontiac g8 gt? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2009 mustang gt vs pontiac g8 gt?

what would you prefer stang or g8? and wich one is faster...
fnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I'd go for either one, but forced to choose at gunpoint, I'd take the Mustang. There are more parts out there, more history, and more matching t-shirts and caps.
thormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The Mustang goes 0-60 in 5.1 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13.8. And pulls .89g on the skidpad. These figures are from a test of the 2007 which is mechanically Identical from the 2006-2009 model. A 2009 Mustang GT will likely duplicate those times.

http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...on+id-265.html

The 2008 G8 GT w/ 6 speed automatic. goes from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, and though the 1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds. It pulls .84g on the skidpad. You can read about it here

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...Test+Sheet.pdf

The Mustang will beat the G8 up to about 95-100ish MPH, after that the G8 will start pulling away by a little. The Mustang weighs some 450 pounds less and despite having a live axle in the back will easily out handle the portly G8.

So Pure: Wrong again noob
gilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely the G8. Look at the spec sheets. The G8 has a substantial amount more horsepower plus GM has always outperformed Ford in my opinion when it comes to making muscle cars (V8's). The G8's gonna cost you a little more but it's worth it. If you really want fast, you probably drive a manual so get the G8 GXP. Considering that the G8 is a car that hasn't been around very long and since Pontiac is dropping off the face of the earth, it will definitely be a huge collector car someday. And you shouldn't have trouble finding parts for it until at least a decade or two from now. The G8 will definitely leave a mustang in the dust.
bour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang all the way! I own one and there is so much more you can do with it. Just a tip though, I like the 2008/09 body style lot better than 2010, the new 2010 improvements. But back to the topic, you can customize it any way you want and add a lot of details, the parts are cheap. Even in this recession, Ford has yet to ask for a bailout plan which means more security for its owners. Mustangs depreciate in value a lot slower than most cars. Even the 2002 mustangs with excellent paint and excellent condition can cost you anywhere from 5K to 8K even in recession. They are great cars and don't believe the bs people tell you about "Found On Road Dead", my car is a 2002 v6 red mustang with 111K miles and the tune up cost was $200 and with all the restoring it cost me less than 1k to make it run like BRAND NEW! And I am a girl so I had all my modifications done by service centers. Truly a pride!
imported_travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang hands down.
The G8 has more HP than the Mustang, but is heavier and this keeps the car from out-performing a Mustang. The Mustang is the American Sports Car, no matter what anyone says. They are more iconic and more people know what they are. Pontiac has just stopped production on their cars forever, and in 10-20 years, when you need parts they will be very rare, and hard to find. Whereas a 2009 Mustang parts are found easily. They already have the new 2010 Mustang parts out there and ready to purchase. The G8's design is boring also, it looks just like a normal sedan, when it has a 400+ HP engine in it. The Mustang GT looks stunning wherever it goes.
meinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to have to agree with fodaddy on this one, however I think those skidpad #'s are pretty overrated. All that's showing is tire grip, and not the actual "handling" of the car. Slalom and skidpad probably would have been a little more helpful if that was ever tested. Although, I do believe the mustang would still beat one around the track, even with that stupid live rear axle.

The g8 however doesn't come in a manual transmission so if you did compare it with an automatic mustang gt, it should beat it in the 1/4th.

Like fodaddy said the g8 will end up catching the mustang after the quarter, and any roll race above 60mph should go to the 8. Amazing how long 4000 pounds takes to get moving.

I for one would take the g8, but I'm a little bias you could say. I'll see how Ford does with the new 5.0L before I consider a mustang.
stanhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Go for the Mustang.

Much more iconic. Plus, now that Pontiac has ceased production, you're be more inclined to find Ford parts 10 years from now, then that of Pontiac.

Mustang much faster in a drag race. Mustang will also outperform the G8 GT in handling and most all other factors.

Get the 'Stang, you won't regret it.
emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
wit
Registered Member
Regular

G8 GT

Holden spent nearly a billion Australian dollars developing the VE Commodore, and then put the car through almost six months of testing in probably the harshest conditions in the world.
The G8 is really the Aussie built Holden Commodore with a different set of plastic bumpers on.

It's a 5-star ANCAP safety rated car and built by Australians, so really it should leave pretty well much anything built in America and Mexico for dead.
wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The gt8 handles better, and is also faster in every way. Not to mention more comfortable and a much better motor!
beverley86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

G8 GT
I think it is better looking and better handling. It has a better weight distribution, more fun to drive, 4 doors so it is more practical.
akira4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

jaguar XFR, thats wat i would prefere

the BMW 535i is fast then either of them

my point.. is that the mustang and pontiac are both crap
bourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular