Whats with all the hating on American cars? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Whats with all the hating on American cars?

Iv seen quite a few comments on here that say something along the lines of "buy a toyota/honda its better because its from Japan". Maybe American cars in general are slightly less reliable, but Iv heard there basically on the same level now (and have seen that the Ford Fusion is among the top most reliable cars... and a couple articles saying Ford is the most reliable out of the American makers) And what about American cars such as the mustang, corvette, cadillac, I'm sure there's more of really good quality, but can't think of any right now...

To name a few plus things Iv experienced from American cars...
-My dads 93 ford taurus just hit 180K miles... though its on its last legs (Iv seen a lot of people say fix or repair daily and that fords are complete crap that wont get over 100k miles)

-One of my girlfriends friends from high school drove an 84 pontiac grand prix up until 2006, and the only reason she couldn't drive it anymore was it wouldn't pass inspection from too much rust (my mechanic said pontiac has since then fixed this rust problem)

Some negative experience from foreign cars...
-The other day I saw a mitsubishi in a ditch which appeared to have a broken axel (the front right wheel was so bent it was practically on the ground) and the car looked pretty new

-One of my friends has a toyota corolla and accidentally backed into someone in a parking lot, the back of her car shattered (and is now duct-taped) while the other car was un-scratched

-Another one of my friends drove a suzuki and hydroplaned off the road into a ditch, the car practically fell apart and was considered totaled from his insurance company

-Lastly, a friend had a kia that only lasted 70K miles, then the all the struts went and something went wrong with the starter

I'm sure someone could come up with roughly the same stories for foreign makes and against American... but i don't see why so many people swear by foreign and are so convinced that all American cars are crap and can only last 3-5 years...
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You have to look at the big picture here and before it gets nasty to Japanese cars don't forget Most American car makers work along side Japanese makers,IE Ford with Mazda Ford with Nissan who is part of renault volvo and toyota.
Then there is the rebadging IE Ford MAVERICK is a Nissan terrano II
the chevrole zafira is a subaru traviq and these are all but a few.
So modern cars you buy are a mix of parts and fittings from American and Japanese cars.

I feel so people have had bad examples of American made cars in the past when many people feel US car makers where not providing a good service,iam another person whom crossed over from American made cars to Japanese make cars,and again iam not saying every American car is bad but at the time for my budget i always bought American cars and didn't really know anywhere else to go.I had a good handful of American cars and all did fail around the 100k mileage mark,and that sadly was an expensive fact,all had to be towed and some a few times,all cars where well maintained also.
My Farther in law gave us his Nissan which had 250k on the clock and was such a good car we have stuck with Japanese since.
Iam not saying all American made cars are bad as there are examples of good ones.
As for the American only does this mean use only American made computers watch American made only tv sets etc etc.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

could not agree with you more, there are so many crazy people on here that dont know the first thing about cars. american cars are more reliable that forgien. example is a 91 chevy truck one million miles on original motor. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/01/w...million-miles/
jonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ford owns 33 percent of Mazda.

The new Ford Fusion is reliable and good because it shares 90 percent of its parts with the 2003-2008 Mazda 6.
And the new Ford Focus does the same using Mazda parts from the 2004-2009 Mazda 3.

Fords are bad cars.
The new Fusion and Focus are good because they are really Japanese cars with a Ford logo.
annawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

not all american car's are bad some are and some are not.i drive an american truck because i would rather pay to keep the us big three going then to pay a foreign company to flood the us with more of there crap buy american show some support for our auto company's not some jap crap!
duran is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion