First Car Question/Help!?Mustang GT'S.....? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

First Car Question/Help!?Mustang GT'S.....?

So im looking for my first car, just got my license a few days ago, and have decided what i want is a Mustang, 3rd gen. Now i need some help there are currently 2 im interested in. Well first off is a 3rd gen mustang a good car im looking at two GT's, i want a GT. Do they make a good first car? Hows matenince on them. I live in Mass so there is snow and stuff but i would be lightly driving too and from work and such during the winter. Just overall what are some opinions and thoughts on the Mustang.

Now the two ive been looking at. First is a 1994 Black Mustang GT. It has a cold air intake and is slightly, but not to much modified. It was dynoed at 260 RWHP. The person is looking for 3000 with the stock rims and tires or 3500 with the Cobra rims. He said the only problem with it is the tackometer wiggles a little bit but thats fixable...? And theres a small rip in one of the seats thats sewn shut. The car is black as i said earlier. Is that a good price? And what should i offer him for it and what do you think of the car [ the year, mods, etc]?

Now the second is a 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT. This car is at a small car broker/used car dealership whereas the other ones private party. This one as with the previous has clothe interior that is mint. Its has minor cosmetic blemishes [ scrapes, a small dent, and a few cracks of the nose] It is all stock. The one man dealership that its at is looking for $3995 for it. Is that reasonable? What should i offer? And what do you think i could get it for. Also it needs at least 2 new tires they are extremely warn but most likely 4 new one. How muc hwuld that cost?

So first what do you think i should offer for either one of these cars and what do you think i could get either or for? And ide also appreciate some imput on the cars themself in general and how they perform and such. Also what are some good mods, both cosmetic and mechanical i could make to either car and the cost of them.Any help would be appreciate!

Now i know these are both fast cars, insurance will be high, etc. So please no feedback like that, dont tell me what i already know. Please answer what i asked and give feedback. Insurance wont be a problem, i work and am going to pay half and half with the parents. And im a responsible driver. Ive waited my whole life for my license and am not going to blow it, believe me. If i want to go fast im going to take my car to the track or strip.

Thanks
Jordan
makis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

To me there are red flags on both of these cars. The 94 has been modded some which points to rough driving. Chances are some items have been stressed so big repairs are in the future. The 2000 also tells me it has had a rough life so far. Most reputable car lots will put decent tires on a car as they know that is a selling point. If it is on the lot for sale with bad tires it tells me the dealer knows it has problems and he does not want to tie any money up in it.
That is all from 40 years experience buying and selling cars and two uncles that own car lots. Good luck!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well hell if that guy only wants $4,000 for a 2000 GT that might be a steal for you. Try to get it for $3,000 cash if u can but if not that's stil good. More than likely some is wrong with the engine but wouldn't cost more than $1,000 to get it fixed. Then tires are anywhere from 400-600 depending what kind you get. It would be a great first car but maybe too much power for a first. It had 260hp new and rwd so more likely to lose control but if u think you are matural enough go ahead.
Zimra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well realy ford sucks and is not a good car company. if you really want a good fast racing car you can get a cheap slighty used corvette base. if not you can always get a charger or a pontiac g8 gt. the g8 is fast and the best and you can get discounts on the closing sale. trust me it is fast or just get the corvvete or a new camero. trust me you dont want a ford car unless the whole engine has been swapt for a brand new engine that has not been made by ford. ford is made from cheap parts. why do you think the mustang is so cheap than the other cars. the mustang wont last for that long
yitzchak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

To start the 94 is a 4th gen technically and the 2000 is a 5th. the 3rd gen was the fox body.79-93. the 94 has a 5.0 which is cheap to fix in every way, but longevity is not as good at the 4.6L in the 2000. However the 4.6 will cost more to upgrade. I've had 6 mustangs ranging in serveral years. there all alot of fun. If you get the 94 you can put a camshaft that will make that car sound like a beast. the 2000 has available camshafts and sounds good but is far more expensive to do. I've had both a 94 that ran 11 secs in the quarter mile and a 2000 that ran 12.4 secs in the quarter mile. The final choice is obviously yours. The prices don't sound that bad. The best bang for your bucks on either is putting lower gears in the rearend (eg. 3:73 or 4:11)
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion