Out of all current model Porsche 911 (i.e. 2005+ 997 series) on the road, how many are TURBO? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Out of all current model Porsche 911 (i.e. 2005+ 997 series) on the road, how many are TURBO?

Non-turbo 997 in various forms makes 320-350 HP (excluding the "track" variants GT2 and GT3.) The Turbo 997 makes 473 HP.

I live in Los Angeles and I don't see very many of these 997 turbos on the road. I see 997 Porsches on the road every day but I would estimate I see a Turbo on the street less than once a week -- rare enough such that they definitely get my attention. I'm curious to see if the ratio of hi-power/lo-power sales is similar to the ratios for other kinds of cars.

For example, the ratio of Corvette C6 base/Z06 is very high -- in other words probably 1 out of 10 C6 Corvettes I see on the road are Z06. Is the ratio of turbo/nonturbo 997 Porsche about the same? More? Less?

Another parallel would be the ratio of Shelby GT500 versus non-Shelby Mustangs of any variety. I would estimate this ratio at less than 1 out of 50 for sure. I've got to be seeing dozens of regular Mustangs and Mustang GT on a daily basis. I might see one Shelby a week.
llyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

Out of all current model Porsche 911 (i.e. 2005+ 997 series) on the road, how many are TURBO?

The figures from Porsche are not quite specific enough, but if you look over the historical data and figure that in, you can probably make a rough estimate.

From 2005-2007, Porsche sold a little over 36000 Carrera models in the US. With another model year since that, and the US accounting for nearly half of Porsche's market, there are porbably around 100000 997s that have been produced by the factory since it was introduced.

Looking at known numbers for past Turbo Carreras, these have normally accounted for almost 10% of the production total. However, the turbo version was not introduced until 2006... so there are probably about 7500 total world wide out of the 100000 Carreras out there.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would assume that finding that information would be very hard to find because Porsche probably hasn't got all of the sales information themselves, and hasn't presented that information to the public yet. I do know that the reason you don't see many turbo's is because there base price is roughly USD 120000, and the Base Carrera is about roughly USD 70000. So there is a large increase in price, thus less will most likely be sold.
trenten is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion