Mitsubishi lancer evolution or Ford mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mitsubishi lancer evolution or Ford mustang?

What would be the best out of these two cars for a 19 year old college student who wants to spend around the 30G mark. Im edging towards the Lancer evolution over the 2010 Ford mustang but they are both pretty cool... the thing is I drive cars very hard and I dont want to be in the shop every 2 seconds... any feedback?
Kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

For 30g's i think your crazy to think about either car myself, why not spend 20 on an 03 cobra (they're already supercharged) or 22 on an 06 GTO, and spend the 8-10g's on performance upgrades? if you put 8g's in an 06 gto you'll have the baddest car at your school for sure.
tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Eff turbo's
Harder on engine, more maintenance expenses. Have to use high grade fuel so any fuel savings is eaten up with the price of the higher octane. and lets be honest, the sound of a mustang is WAY better than a tin can sound of any 4 banger.

They both have tons of modification options and having more torque (mustang) is more fun to drive than having to rev the hell out of your engine to get it to do anything.

There is no replacement for displacement.
celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

With 30,000$ you have a lot of options. The Ford Mustang is a boring car that just eats up a lot of gas. If it were only between those two cars, I'd choose the Evo anyday. Turbo, and a lot of prospective modifications, and AWD. It even looks better than the Mustang and sounds better.

But with 30,000$ you can also get a G37 (second hand) or a 335i (Second Hand).

Also, if you're looking to purchase an Evo, don't get the Evo X. Get Evo VIII MR or Evo IX MR. Make sure the turbo didn't die out either.
agni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hard pick. The Evo is a faster car hands down even in stock form. Still the Evo VIII RS or Evo IX Mr are the Evos of choice. The X isn't as racy in feel but it's just as fast as an IX MR. Still, the Mustang is definitely more refined being that it has a bigger engine and it's N/A. Personally, I'd look at a pre '07 Subaru WRX STI. They are more reliable than both of those cars. Sure, each car has an Achille's Heel, but the Evo has more then it's share and the Mustang even more than that. The 4G63t is a good engine, but it's not the engine that is the problem witht he Evo. VIIIs had transmission issues which were corrected on the IXs. However, the MR's 6 speed tranny isn't as durable as the other IX's 5 speed. Add to the equation that you are running 19 psi of boost on a 2 liter engine and long term reliability comes into question. Honestly, if you drive cars hard, it won't matter which one you buy. It will be in the shop. That applies to most cars. If you want that kind of durability, buy a Toyota. They are reliable enough but they can bore you to death. High performance comes at a price, but the STI will have less issues than most.
Nevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Lancer is known for having bad chassis, mustang is sturdy, ford is doing good job and working hard to meet quality+ reliability standards to it's Japanese counterparts.

I would go for mustang any day, tho bit surprised why challenger doesn't feature in your list.
dooley28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I can think of better sports cars than these for that kind of money. With a new car you're probably safe from reliability issues either way, but with a longer term commitment to the car in mind I would not go with Mitsubishi or Ford.
hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I would get the lancer evolution. The mustang's not worth getting unless your going to get the shelby gt.
Keme is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion