What kind of car should I get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of car should I get?

OK, I'm having the hardest time deciding what I want for my first car. It's SO difficult. Here's what I'm telling myself:

I do want a luxurious car, something luxurious to the sort of Cadillacs, BMWs, Mercedes-Benz...something like that. I also want a car with steering wheel controls because I don't like taking my hands off the wheel (unless I'm texting or stopped at a red light of course, LOL). I want an SUV because I know I'm going to be packing people around and I need it to fit my keyboard for church just in case if I did need to bring it.

But on the other hand, I want something sporty like a Mustang or something. Everyone that I mention that to is like, "Eww, Ford," or "Ford's are not good at all," and I'm like, "What is it with you and Fords?!"

I was thinking about this too: should I get something cheap that I can pay off in two years before I graduate high school or should I get something luxurious and brand new (even if I can get it) and just make payments for like four to six years, until I graduate from college? Like I want an Ford Edge, but the price tag...I wouldn't be able to pay it off quickly as I would want and like to on a seven or eight thousand dollar car.

Also, do you think this is kind of dumb? I don't wanna really get a car over $10,000 because I don't want to make a down payment. I read an article that says you don't have to have a down payment: it's just that the dealer likes it and will trick you into making one. I was thinking about going in there with the mindset of telling them, "Hey, I got $2500 down, but I don't wanna give that to you, but I want that [name and model of car] out there." So is it better for me to make a down payment or just tell them this is what I want and I want it WITHOUT a down payment.

I'm really pressing for this BMW x5, but I need some more information on it, and how it will affect my insurance rates. I make a 4.0 average, so I think I'm qualified for the good grade discount thingy.

So if you can answering my inquiring mind, I'd gladly appreciate it.
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds like you don't know a whole lot about cars. Sounds like you're not getting a car unless Mommy and Daddy pay for it.

You just said you want about every single type of car! It doesn't sound like you have a very good grasp of how much money cars cost. You spoke of wanting a Cadillac or Mercedes, but not wanting to pay more than $10,000?!?! You won't find ANY new car for less than $10,000 -- not even a Kia.

You will probably have to make a down payment too. I don't know which article you read or how carefully you read it, but generally -- especially in this economic downturn and stingy credit -- you have to make a down payment. The exception may be if you have stellar financial credentials and really good credit. With your being in high school, I sincerely doubt you are in that category. Just plan to make a down payment.

You are never going to get one of the cars you mentioned for less than $10,000. I don't know what planet you live on, but here on Earth, the BMWs and Cadillacs are all $40.000 or so. I don't think the "good grade discount thingy" will help much in that case.
hristun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

TOYOTA COROLLA SPORT. It looks cool and sporty has room GREAT MILEAGE I have an 05 and its pretty good but get something newer though since you can actually aford it.
talmadge80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Get a Voltswagen Bug!
I want one for my 16th b-day!
&& they are GREAT on gas mileage.

)))))))
teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

GET THE MUSTANG -- best buy -- best resale -- best performance
neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

honda civic hatchback
brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

go to a GM dealer, get a Impala or a Cobalt
imported_travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

honda civic
cuarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

get and used car, is better for the first time, you don't have to worry about having an little accident with it
Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

a nissan 350z or infinity g35, g37 or the new nissan 370z. I own a 350z and they are great cars.
wakiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Um you're not going to get any sort of nice car for under 10,000....
gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

prius, blue, =cool
Kenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

get a uplander
put me as best answer
macdaibhidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

grand am.
answer mine?
dagoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
Dru
Registered Member
Regular

First off, get approved for a car loan from your bank. Get the bank to give you the lowest rate they can, and then go to the car dealership. When you find a car you like (I'm not going to give you any pointers on that, sorry.), go sit down with the financing guy and get his lowest rate. If the bank's rate is lower, tell him, and he might get you an even better deal. If his rate is lower, then you're alright and you can tell the bank you don't need the money. If he's not budging, get the bank to finance your car.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

to get a great car, you should check out the April issue of consumer's reports. they list all the cars and tell you from polls they have taken from readers what are the good aspects of a car and what are the bad ones. You may be able to get the listings on line at consumersreports.com or org.
Renfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's a good idea to get a cheaper car until you graduate college. Then you can get settled in a job and get your luxury car.

I love Cadillacs, and they have an SUV on the market. But for now, get a kind of mini-luxury car (less expensive and nice).

The Mustang GT is great, as far as those type cars go. You could also check out the '69 Dodge Charger and the old El Camino (I don't know what year), if you're going for muscle cars. They're both pricey, so go for a mini one also.

Hope this helps.
franco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion