I bought a 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo and? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I bought a 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo and?

Ok, stupid question. I bought this car and you would think they would be happy for the sale. The sales guy tells me this is too much car for a woman. Now I am 44 and I know how to drive decently. They told me it would be too much and would fishtail etc. Ok, well the computer chip stops that and so far ok. I got it up to 113 MPH today and that is the highest I have gotten it and I have had it 2 months. My problem is everywhere I go kids see this black sports car and try to race me. I never go fast so I guess you think it is a waste but I love the car. I am now not wanting to drive it. I have almost been hit numerous times with cars coming up wicked fast behind me and then a red light, I stop and they almost don't. It seems they want to beat me. I am not sure what car can beat me and don't care. I have had some nice mustangs try and who knows if the can. I am ready to park it and drive my audi. Is this too much car for me? Did I make huge mistake?
beamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This is not a stupid question. You made a large investment in your auto and obviously given your knowledge of computer controlled traction control and skid control, you read up on the Turbo and know that it is a super-car.

The sales guy is a fool. There are very good drivers out there that are women. In Drag racing, there were Shirley Muldowny, Ashley Force and Kitty O'Neil. In Indy type racing, Danica Patrick and Milka Duno race with the 'boys.' As of yet, I have not seen any scientific data that proves that men drive better than women due to physiological or anatomical differences based on gender. If I were making the purchase and the salesman said to me what he had said to you, then I would've given the commission to another salesperson and verbally blasted the sales-jerk with a tongue as spirited as the car you purchased. What he said was just dead wrong. A letter to Porsche America is justified.

I would strongly suggest to any man or woman that when they buy a super-car that they enroll themselves into a performance driving school. This could be a weekend or even a full week of driving instruction and or track time depending on how much available time you have. Driving decently is not the question. There are people driving underpowered econo-boxes that get involved in accident after accident. Obviously you are not in that category, but wouldn't it be nice to better understand what your top of the line 911 can do?

There are many reasons to enroll in a performance driving school. One reason is the thrill factor. When you were thinking about getting the Turbo and when first driving the car, I know you felt exhilarated. Performance driving schools that operate on closed-courses (racetracks) will help restore that same feeling. Not only are they fun do with your newest addition to the garaged family, but they will teach many aspects of spirited driving that you may not be aware of. By learning the ins and outs of your car, you will also be safer whether you are driving like a racer or driving Miss Daisy.

There are many different styles of cars and a car that may be appealing to one may not be appealing to another. One person may only be interested in a car because it is fast when another may seem the same car and see a work of art and not just an autobahn screamer.

When I was younger, I had a very heavy lead foot. In high school, my car would see 100+mph almost every day. When a family friend police officer gave me advice, I had to listen. He told me... Certain cars will always attract attention. Certain drivers will always attract attention. Some of the attention is good, but most of it is bad. He went on to say that if somebody is lining up to race, then you can race and hope to win by throwing caution to the wind or get under their skin by doing something totally opposite what they expect; drive even slower!

Yes, I know what the driver's manuals state... you should always check your mirrors, but don't focus on what other people are doing behind you so much. Focus on YOU. You bought a car that you love. In addition to being a very fast car, the Porsche Turbo is a work of art. It is simply beautiful even when parked and not moving at close to its ridiculous top speed. The purchase of the Turbo is also a statement. You are obviously successful and able to purchase the Turbo when others are complaining about a souring world economy. This is yet another reason to be proud of your Turbo. You made it happen!!!

If I were you, then Id do a couple of things. First Id tint the windows so that people outside couldnt see who was driving. Screw the nosey-bodies. Let them wonder. Yes, window tinting is illegal in many states, but the fine is very cheap and there are no points with it. If you are stopped and questioned about your window tint, tell the officer that you were attracting too much attention and this was safer. The officer may write the ticket or might not. Even if the officer does, who cares; it is typically only a $50 fine. The second thing Id do is enroll in a performance driving school. There is no better way to get familiar with your auto then to bring it to a track for structured learning. Some might even refer to it as getting intimate with their auto by learning how the auto leans, turns, slides and rebounds! (Laughing.) You never know how much fun you could have. Who knows, by the spring you might even consider weekend racing. The SCCA (Sports Cars Club of America) has a number of events all over the country that sets up courses with pylons and people race their cars against the stopwatch in a very safe environment.

This is YOUR car. Drive it how YOU wish. At 44, you know that you cannot please everybody all the time. Why should this time be any different? It shouldn't. Most people could be jealous that you are driving the Turbo and not them.
hulbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Lady you shouldn't be so self conscious. Your car could stomp plenty of cars in race. If you love the car, drive it. You are a cool cat for driving that anyway. The car is for anybody with attitude so grow some and get an attitude. If someone tries to race you, just back down, do whatever. The car is a 911 Turbo! Do some research on it and learn to love it! Now tell me, is it standard or automatic?
glendyn52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

no mistake done. if there was a guy in the drivers seat, there would still be people trying to race you.

they want to know if a porsche 911 turbo(as you know, not a cheap car) is slower than theirs.

by the way, a woman should drive whatever they want and not be afraid of it. And, i love your car. if i didn't have a diesel truck, i would probably try to race you too.
auley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You have purchased a wonderful sports car.

Now you need to get some self confidence, and stop worrying about what others think.

If you want to learn to drive your Prosche with confidence, go to one of the performance driving schools. Like this one:
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/womenf...3/article.html
http://www.porschedriving.com/Womens-Only-Course.aspx
There are others too.

One person that you may want to do a little bit of research on is Denise McCluggage.

http://www.roadandtravel.com/celebri...e_autohall.htm
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I get these guys all the time. I usually don't engage, if they are insistent, I blast past them when it is safe and they usually want to talk at the next light. My favorite phrase is "Kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight huh"

Keep you head pointed forward and ignore them is my best advice.
tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

no you didn't make a huge mistake there is traction control and when people run up on you get there license plate number and report them and simply don't race i'm actually jealous would you consider trading your car even for a 92 mustang just kidding but there is no mistake
Kilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You purchased a very challenging car, and one that will be challenged.
Ignore the others and be yourself.
No, it is not too much car for you, enjoy it.

rosswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

congratulation on your 911! ignore this people and just be yourself!
Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

don't worry about what the salesman says he is a fool.drive the car to your own capability's and i cant see a problem.its a porsche so people are going to look ,most will be jealous because they haven't got or cant have one. good on you for getting what you wanted hopefully i will have a 78-79 911 wide body in my drive way in the next six months or so .so final remark is enjoy your car and don't worry about the other losers around u!
emrys27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Tye
Registered Member
Regular

I always ignore the kids.... I do like to race, so if something catches my eye I may join in the fun.... but generally is the little rice burners, mustangs, F-bodies.... most of them don't stand a chance. Enjoy your car, I'm sure it drives like a dream and handles curves and corners better than nearly everything on the road...

You could always go take it out to the track and have some fun under more controlled conditions... Maybe find you a hot young boy toy to show you the ropes. lol
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It's hard to say- If you love to drive the car, no.
Turbos are 4WD, so they shouldn't fishtail. There are no mustangs that are going to beat you. A Viper is going to have a tough time beating you also. You have an "off the line advantage" with the 4WD. I have a solution to the accident problem you are having: drive like you are 80 years old so they don't try to race you. Don't look at the people reving their engines at you and don't rev your engine. When the light turns green, just slowly pull off the line. (I guess if you want to you can later catch up to them and fly by them for some fun
christianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The fact that people want to hit you or you think they want to which is true mostly is case of the way you drive which ever car you drive and you don't expect a 44 year old lady to drive good but they probably think they do but the simple fact of the matter is that they don't as in just don't and this is not out of predigest but knowledge but keep the Porsche 911 Turbo since its a lot of things for you than other cars can give you and you will not find any other car more rewarding at all since which ever way it gos the Porsche turbo was just about always were the best to have car and it now is more than that so you might as well care less about the rest of the road users and enjoy the great sound system in the Turbo that is if you brought that option but anyways its the best handling car there is and let me make it clear since you said otherwise that Porsche's built after the year 2001 do not fishtail as long as they have the PTM four wheel drive just as in mine. You may as well had made a huge mistake thinking this question and 112MPH is too slow for a Porsche 911 Turbo and do a 200MPH if you ever get to a fully unrestricted Autobahn in Stuttgart, Germany.
panteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The Porsche Turbo is a lot of car for anyone. In fact it is too much car for 98% of the men who purchase it. Any street car with more then 400hp is dangerous in the wrong hands. That said, the car is a magnet for knuckleheads but you just can not take the bait. Tint the windows and learn to ignore people.

It also wouldn't hurt to attend a Porsche Owners Club event or some other kind of high performance driving school. Also visit the Rennlist site for all things Porsche from actual owners.
austyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, I do actually think you have purchased the wrong car for your requirements. I think you have purchased a top car to show off your wealth instead of for it's performance and heritage. That said the treatment you received from the salesman is not acceptable.

A 911 TT will smoke most cars. I have no idea how you have only got up to 113 I had 105 on a slip road (on ramp) without even trying, it was a loaner for the day whilst my Cayman was serviced). I think you might be better off with something with less performance until you have more confidence.

I would get some performance driver training.
jeremias is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion