Obtaining title for inheritied classic vehicle? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Obtaining title for inheritied classic vehicle?

I inherited my father's 1965 Ford Mustang when he passed in 2000. It sat on his property up until recently, and has too many repairs for me to keep up with effeciently. I want to sell the vehicle, but we possess neither a title nor a bill of sale. My father owned the vehicle for over 10 years before he died, but we have nothing to prove this.

The vehicle has a very old tag issued in Alabama, but I live in Oklahoma. I'm not sure how this affects getting a title.

How can I obtain a legal title or bill of sale so that I can sell the Mustang?
woolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Many DMV offices in the US will make it hard on you if you apply for a lost title.

Some will want you to put up a bond (your own money) that the state will keep for years to cover them in case the vehicle turns up as stolen.

Once a set number of years has passed, they will finally send you the title, and even then it could be a salvage title - hurting the value of your car.

There is a way around this for cars older than 1974:

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

I know many people who have used their services, and it is a great way to get a real title for your car in a short amount of time.

It is really simple - taking advantage of the fact that Alabama did not require titles for cars before 1974. If you buy an old car from Alabama, all you will get is a bill of sale and proof of registration (license plates). The DMV in your state most likely will have to accept this and issue you a new title.

Broadway will supply you with these documents for a fee. It is a loophole - but also very legal.

Make sure you double check that your state's DMV will accept a bill of sale and registration from Alabama (most of them still do) - and you will be set.

Good luck!

-Zim
iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Get the VIN number, go to the DMV and apply for a new title. Totally easy. Its like 10 bucks to do it.
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
on
Registered Member
Regular

The previous poster is correct. If the vehicle was last registered in Alabama, which does not have a title law for pre-1975 motor vehicles (and thus no titles!), you'll need a bill of sale and previous registration information. Registration records in Alabama are kept by the Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle Division, and if you have an old tag number and year you can theoretically get old registration records for a fee going back as far as the Department has them. Although the current request form, MV-DPPA1, indicates that only registration records for the past 10 years are available, I know records have been kept that are older than 10 years, and you might be able to go through the right channels to obtain them.
on is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion