Why are most hybrid vehicles so small and have such an ugly design? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Why are most hybrid vehicles so small and have such an ugly design?

I personally find them to have a very unattractive design and look more similar to a soccer mom vehicle.

I also dislike how many of them are so small, but people are often forced to invest into them due to the fact that SUVís and full sized pick ups just eat up too much gas resulting in limited road traveling, and lack of sales.Are we nearing the end of a market that will provide a selection for those of us who enjoy large trucks, and full size SUVs? I think so we are.
It seems the next generation of privately owned vehicles will consist of bland, petite, and a soccer moms market.

I also feel Americaís sports cars will eventually become extinct. We already witnessed the extinction of the Trans Am, and Pontiac tried to replace it with a new GTO which was a complete joke with the design resembling some cheap competition for the Chevrolet cavalier. I believe other popular muscles cars such as the mustang, corvette, and camaro will become extinct within the next decade. Which many
abiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

FYI, All of the hybrid models available out there right now looks exactly the same as their regular-car counterparts, except two (Prius and Insight).

A Toyota Highlander hybrid looks exactly the same as a regular Highlander. Ditto a Malibu hybrid vs. a regular Malibu, Tahoe Hybrid vs. regular Tahoe, Escape Hybrid vs. regular Escape. Sit them next to each other and they look exactly the same. The only visible difference is a tiny "hybrid" badge.

Large trucks and SUVs will never go extinct. There are always people who need to buy them to use for their intended purposes (such as contractors who need a Yukon to haul a load of 2x4s), so there is no reason why someone who enjoys big cars can't continue to buy them as long as they are willing to pay the price in fuel costs.

Muscle cars will become a niche / enthusiast segment, and they can survive if the carmakers can manage their brands carefully, considering that many sports car makers survived the 1970s oil crisis.
baldrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they are frightfull looking.. and just wonder where in the world would i put all my beer in one of those little suckers.. umm i might have to get a trailer and hook on the back to put my stash in along with my groceries..horrible thought..
walthari81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's not the design but the intent (saving the earth + money in the long run). These cars have only now come into the scene. Give them time to grow and develop. They're good for you and me.
garren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The design and size affect the aerodynamics of the car. Meaning the smaller more rounded car gets better gas mileage
coty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

They are designed for the future.......which is NOW
You can get a good deal on SUV now if you don't like the new cars................
fahyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

we have to suffer for the good of the earth
kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I read an article on edmunds.com that was talking about how by 2015 all cars manufactured will have to meet the standards for MPG, and they are really high. It goes by the footage of the car's area in size. The bigger the car, the lower the standard for MPG. So, SUV and van designs have to include better engines that consume less gasoline, but they won't be completely extinct or anything. The real issue for that is high-powered sports cars, like the Porsche, fall into the same class as the honda civic, and the Porsche engine is notorious for eating up gas. They will have to design a Porsche engine that gets like 35 to 40 mpg. That's more of a challenge that making an SUV engine get better gas mileage. But there are talks of excluding smaller companies that make a limited amount of cars, like Porsche and Lambo and Ferrari from those standards, so there may be a future for the sports car yet.

ETA: The exterior design of the hybrids doesn't bother me. I think they are creative and cute.
wilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion