Cheapest way to get Car Insurance for a 19 year old male, in Ontario? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

Cheapest way to get Car Insurance for a 19 year old male, in Ontario?

I am a 19 year old male university student in Ontario Canada. I live at home in the summer and only one hour from home during the school year for my studies.

I would like to purchase my own car for everyday driving. However, I know that I would not be able to afford the ridiculous insurance there is for a male driver that is under 25 and listed as the primary driver.

I have heard of ways to get around this, such as getting listed as a secondary driver and having my dad as the primary driver and just me as a temporary driver. Doing this is kind of lying, as I would be having the car all the time in the school year and then bring it home with me when I work at home. I don't think it would matter though, I doubt it is risky that if I did need a claim they would investigate how much I had the car...
But what my dad seems to think is that he can only have a certain amount of cars listed as him as primary. My mom and dad live together and together own a 1994 Intrepid, 2003 Cadillac CTS and a 1988 Corvette (that is insured for only 5 months a year, stored in the winter). I am only insured as a temporary driver on the Intrepid as it is too expensive for anything else.

I also have a 21 year old sister who is in the same situation (lives at home for 4 months a year) but she has just bought her own car and is her own primary driver. So I don't think that should affect me at all, it is cheap enough for a female to get primary insurance at this age.

So now I want to buy a sports car. I am 100% sure I want to buy a car that is not common, its just something I am stubborn about and so I know that insurance will be more this way. Specifically I was looking at an Audi tt, BMW 300 series, Mitsubishi Eclipse or a Mustang... I also found a great deal on a '99 Porsche Boxster that a seller has that is way underpriced and I'd love to buy it (first choice).

My question is, can I claim that my dad is really the owner of the Porsche (or other car) and say that I am a temporary driver, and then have me drive it all the time and take it back and forth to school, etc, knowing my parents together already have 2 vehicles and 1 summer vehicle. I would take myself off of the temporary insurance on the Intrepid. My dad seems to think that an insurance company will not allow them to be primary drivers on 3 vehicles and 1 summer vehicle while having dependant children... But what if I did the insurance quotes online and got approved? I already did get quotes before, and I don't think I ran into any problems. But I want to be covered and in case I did need to make a claim, this method won't come back to bite me in the butt.

What is anyone's take on this? Like I said, I cannot afford to pay the insurance on the car as a primary driver at this point, but paying for the car itself won't be a problem. I do realise that I will be paying for this way than I do at the moment because of the car, but instead of $3000 more I was thinking $400 more or something.

Thanks for reading all the facts, any answers will be greatly greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
Zachaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

"My question is, can I claim that my dad is really the owner of the Porsche (or other car) and say that I am a temporary driver, and then have me drive it all the time and take it back and forth to school, etc, knowing my parents together already have 2 vehicles and 1 summer vehicle"

Can you do this? Sure, you can do anything you want, it's a free country. However the insurance won't be worth the paper it's written on. First trying to find an insurer who's going to allow this is going to be difficult. On the appliaction it will ask how many vehicles are in the household and how many drivers there are. When they see there are 5 vehicles (including the one you're giong to buy) for 4 drivers they are not going to accept that you are not the principal driver of one of the vehicles. Even if you were to find an insurer to accept this (mostly by lying), if there is an accident the insurer will investigate the accident with a fine tooth comb. When they find out you are the actual principal driver (and they will, it's not difficult) they will deny the claim, then you and your father will be financially responsible for eveyones damages and injuries. This means you can potentially bankrupt your family, lose the family home and be in debt for the rest of your life and your parent's life trying to pay off any judgement awarded against you and them. So ask yourself if you're perpared to ruin your financial future and your parent's financial future just so you can buy an impractical car which which you'll probably end up racking up speeding tickets in?
bellden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I found this one: http://www.techawave.com/techawave/i...ucts_id=542349
stanwyk55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion