Some one help me with a BLM mustang question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Some one help me with a BLM mustang question?

I have a problem trying to get a hold of someone at the california BLM (i wish they would answer my call! or call me back hahah) anyhow Im hoping someone here might know? or have some info

a guy had owned a mustang for a yr. that owner of the mustang had an ownership of title when the horse turned 2yrs

from what I understand that onwership title means that you now privatly own the horse, but apparently this guy gave his horse to a new owner with out the ownership title to this now 4 yr old mustang.

my question? is that allowed... can you sell or give your horse to someone that of course is non slaughter and a killer, but to a person with out the title of ownership? like doesnt that person have to have give that title to the new owner? and do you have to have that title in writting to tell the BLM that you want a new owner title made out ?

my last question is, will they give you one if you lost it? or if the owner that gave or sold the mustang didnt give you one do they have to report that they sold it? so that the new owner can have the title? does the original owner also have to give you a bill of sale so that the new owner can have proof he was givin the horse to show the BLM??

someone clear this up for me until I can get a hold of the BLM. thanks!!!
stanwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I don't quite understand the question. I take it you know about a horse that has been given/sold after an adoption period, but the "papers" didn't go with the horse?

After that initial year, the horse can be sold. Just like with any horse with papers, they can be legally sold without papers. The mustang is microchipped, so the vet could scan it for the number, then when BLM is contacted, they may be able to provide the papers. Probably for a hefty fee.

The part I don't get is why are the papers wanted.....once the ownership is full, they don't have to report to BLM what they do with the horse.
adom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

even after owning the horse for a year and gaining the *title* on the said mustang you cannot ever sell give away or dispose of said mustang it will always belong to the BLM if you cannot take care of said mustang anylonger you must give it back to the BLM...
cedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

coorscowgirl is incorrect. The horse only belongs to the government for the first year. After you get title to the horse, you can do with it as you please, whether that means sell it to slaughter or to any individual buyer. The government has zero say in what you do with that horse after that first year.

Anyway, if the original title is lost, the BLM will NOT issue a new title...all they will do is give a copy of the original title. And if you don't have proof of sale, they won't give it to you, it would have to be the guy that adopted the horse asking for the copy of the title. Otherwise, how would they know they the horse was sold and belongs to the new owner legitly?
So I guess to answer your questions
1. you CAN give the horse away without title of ownership but that is really a legal nightmare for the new owner because when they try to sell it in the future or do any kind of brand inspection or anything, they have no proof of ownership.
2. Like I said, BLM will not give you a new title, only a copy of the original, and only to the original owner

The BLM doesn't really care who owns the horse after the first year. You might be okay and be able to get through everything with just a bill of sale and not ever need that title, but the title would make everyone's lives a lot easier. If you can, I would just have the original owner call BLM and request a copy of the original title. When he gets it, have him sign it over like he would have done at the sale in the first place
kent12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion