The right car for me? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

The right car for me?

I am getting mt first car and I need help. I love The 1976 camaro and all other muscle car types so that is what im looking for BUT my parents want me to get a newer car that has airbags. so because airbags were manditory in 1984 i need a car younger or from that year.
List of dream cars if it helps
1.Chevy 76 camaro
2.Dodge callenger
3.69 mustang
please if any suggestions i need help last thing is I heard you could put the body style of an older Model onto a younger models car. If true please awnser I need your help.
tedmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The right car for me?

A high powered muscle car is not the best choice for a first car. I agree with your parents and you should too. Nobody gets their "dream car" as their first ride.

Drive a newer safer car for a while until they trust your driving ability and judgment. Then in a year or two approach the idea of buying an older car again.

And forget the idea of putting an old car body on a new car frame. Customization like that would cost you tens of thousands of dollars.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The right car for me?

So you like the 70's muscle cars? Excellent. Do you know how much the insurance is for a young driver in a muscle car? Who pays for the insurance, you or your parents? Are they helping you buy your car? If the answer to either of the above questions is yes, you'd better listen to them. When you are footing the bill for everything, then you can be picky.
donnachadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The right car for me?

Well.. how old are you? and second.. are you buying the car with your money? or are your parents buying you the car?

If it's your money, do can buy whatever car you want. Also... the older heavier cars, might be better for you if you just started driving cause there wouldn't be as much damage to the car if you crash. The only problem with the older cars is gas... they use a lot of gas... and gas is getting pretty expensive.

I like the older muscle cars too... I don't blame you for wanting to get one... whatever makes you feel happy is better, cause I had a car I needed but didn't like.. and... well... it's not the same as having a car you actually want.

GOOD LUCK!!
aodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #5

The right car for me?

Forget looking hot as you drive around and consider the insurance on these types of cars. Talk to your parents about insurance, who's paying it and use this as an opportunity to learn something about the world at large.

Portraying an image (young hot guy driving a sports car) costs money. A VW may not be sexy, but it's a lot cheaper, costs less insurance and has better gas mileage.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The right car for me?

1. Airbags were not mandatory in 1984. A 1984 regulation mandated them in cars produced after April 1, 1989.

2. Bodies are not interchangeable if the chassis and frame have changed.

It may be possible to retrofit an older car with new airbags. For more info see the website below.
imported_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion