1973 ford 429 engine build for 1954 f100? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
1973 ford 429 engine build for 1954 f100?

Stock block honed, ridge reamed, appprox 12 thou average wear
re ringed
new bearings
cleaned stock polished crank rods pistons
632 lift, 297 dur cam
proper push rods and valve springs etc
stock rockers
heads undetermined- prob the 429 d1ve rebuilt or would my 1969 429 thunder jet heads be better?
nice double roller timing chain
i have an edel performer 460 intake but like the dual quad tunnel ram look- i know its overkill for my motor i think
id be runnin dual carter afb/edel 600-750 cfm carbs
vs just one on the single quad dual plane old edel intake
stock electronic distributor with msd coil
probably some iridium plugs and borg wires
goin to a truck four speed
pressure plate - which is better three finger or diaphram
runnin out to a 73 camper special ford 9 inch

my previous power train was a 67 chevelle powerpack 283 2bbl and turbo 350 (b&m mega shifter) and didnt like the orig 411 rear so i went to a 69 boss mustang 8 3/4 and blew it up! crushed the axle housings and broke axle mounting pads off!! stout stock 283!! needed rings and i hate a chevy in my ford (dads idea, silly chevy person)

soo im looking forward to the performance, good thing i have a clutch this go around cause ill have $#IT for low rpm torque with that cam, just a cool idle and higher power band, that should be GREAT for a truck shaped like a brick right hahaha

so what all ya motor heads think? I think I can expect a much funner toy, hopin for some engine feedback/suggestions

Keme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

Have the block bored out. If you noticed there was no ridge at the bottom of the cylinder wall. That's because there is more wear at the top than the bottom. The result, you'll have broke rings before you reach 10k.

hassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

It's definitely not a good idea to run 2X600cfm carburetors on a 1973 motor with stock heads and pistons. Your motor would do much better with a single 750cfm carburetor instead. A high performance cam in a low compression 1973 big block isn't a very good idea either. I'd recommend adding those '69 heads and try to get a compression ratio around 9.5-1. The stock pistons might work for that, but porting the heads is a good idea. You'd make the most power with forged flat top pistons. Also make sure to add headers and a nice dual exhaust system with performance mufflers for a great sound and more horsepower.

Sounds fun to me though! Do it right, and you'll have a fairly light truck with loads of low end torque and 400+ horsepower!
akins is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion