I need a realistic answer from Pontiac GTO owners? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I need a realistic answer from Pontiac GTO owners?

I have been looking at two different Pontiac GTOs that are for sale at a local Pontiac retailer. One is a yellow 2004 GTO that is a six-speed with a little over 40,000 miles on it. The other is a red GTO that has a four-speed automatic with a little less than 20,000 miles on it.

The 2004 is going for $13,990. The 2005 is going for $18,995.

The 2004 and 2005 are both in immaculate condition (which seems to be the case with all new GTOs that I've looked at). So that's not a problem. I already put aside money for any possible fixes I'd have to make, so I could put some towards a down payment.

The 2004 has All-Weather tires, and the 2005 has stock ones.

Being the car nut that I am, I heavily researched both of these years. Now here's a big point that has a big impact on my decision. The 2004 has a 5.7 liter V8 rated at 350 horsepower, and the 2005 has a 6.0 liter V8 rated at 400 horsepower. The extra 50 horsepower is extremely attractive in making my decision.

Another biggie: Price. The 2005 is more than five grand more than the 2004. I would assume that is because of the pumped up engine, but I can't be sure. And i love the dual exhaust on the 2005, but I could just get an aftermarket Flowmaster or Magnaflow put on if I desperately need it.

And the final biggie: Insurance. I heard the insurance on a 2004 is (for some reason) cheaper than on the 2005 and up models.

So, my questions that I need answered are:

1. Is the difference in engine size and horsepower enough to warrant shelling out an additional $5,000?

2. I've heard that the automatic is actually faster than the 6-speed...is this true?

3. Is this vehicle bad in the rain? Would the All-Weather tires change its performance in the rain much?

4. Is insurance truly different between the 2004 and 2005?

and finally 5. Is the reliability of this vehicle any good? I've heard bad things about this car's reliability (and I know from experience that GM is kinda iffy) but i heard good things about Holden cars.

Anybody that answers all the questions fully will get the Best Answer. I'd also prefer any answers from people that own a new GTO but any other answers will be greatly appreciated. I'm torn between this and a 2002 Mustang GT, and I'm a huge Mustang fan, so I need to know these answers. Thanks
Kenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

1. I don't think its worth $5000 but the 6.0 is the engine you will want.
2. Depending on the drive the automatics feature a launch mode put the car in drive and it spins up the transmission and lowers the rear end 3 inches to get ready for "take off". Try it put the car in drive then neutral the car will bounce.
3. No don't worry about the tire.
4. Newer car more insurance.
5. I have not seen problems with it but I have heard of parts nightmares taking weeks for some parts to come in.
My customers that have it love it and it will haul A$$
quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I can't believe you'd serioiusly consider an automatic. I guess you better hope my grandmother doesn't buy it before you do.
pueblo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

THERE 'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR CUBIC INCH'S THAT ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.
ccri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I actually own a spice red 2006 GTO with only 20,000 miles 6 speed manual car with the LS-2 motor. I use super performance Bridgestone RE010R tires. Traction control turned off and slick roads you better be really good catching the rear end as it gets really loose. I would not reccomend a automatic trans in this car 13 miles a gallon around town would be as low as 11 with a automatic and My car gets 25 mpg at speeds less than 75 miles an hour the automatic may not get better than 21 miles a gallon. Bad in the rain is an understatement just a small toe on the throttle induces wheel spin. Holden chassis is better than a Mustang. I have made several modifications to my car Hodgekiss sway bars GMM Rip Shift gear shifter K&N cold air Intake Predatior power programer. SLP loudmouth #1 exhaust. And sticky summer tires. Powerful performance cars need to be driven with respect for Torque and power. I haven't ever topped out this car it will easily will go 160 miles an hour after the programmer deleted the rev limiter and top speed limiter who knows how fast?. Premium gasoline only...
pueblo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

1.no for 5k i could get over 100hp 2.not sure but whats the fun of having a sports car with an automatic? 3.no not much in rain but better in snow 4.depends on too many things(age,gender,location,etc)5.i used to be a pontiac fan i would kill for an old GTO personally i would go with the mustang(but not the gt hear bad things about it)
Breanainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

General Motors' Pontiac GTO deteriorates very quickly.

The 2005 Pontiac GTO, as a 2-to-3-year-old vehicle, has Consumer Reports' Much-Worse-Than-Average or Worse-Than-Average reliability rating in the following 10 categories:

Engine Minor
Transmission Minor
Drive System
Fuel System
Electrical System
Suspension
Paint/Trim
Body Hardware
Power Equipment
Audio System.

The 2006 Pontiac GTO, as a 1-to-2-year-old vehicle, has Consumer Reports' Much-Worse-Than-Average or Worse-Than-Average reliability rating in the following 5 categories:

Transmission Minor
Suspension
Brakes
Paint/Trim
Squeaks & Rattles.

Both the 2005 and 2006 Pontiac GTOs have CR's Much-Worse-Than-Average Reliability Verdict.

There was insufficient data to permit an evaluation of the 2004 GTO.

For an overview of GM's current quality, see:

http://www.AutoOnInfo.net/NAEd200812...neAverages.htm .
berwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not a GTO owner but have experience with working on them. IMO the $5K isn't worth having the LS2. Yes it's more powerful but the LS1 can easily be modded to make up the difference. Do you like the different body add ons with the 05? That's another thing to consider. If you're looking at it strictly from a power standpoint it's not worth $5K. But you have to consider the difference in transmissions, the different appearance and the difference in mileage. Really only you can answer that based on your preferences.

The auto vs. manual topic will be debated by both sides until the end of time. Some say "a muscle car isn't a muscle car unless it's a manual". I think those people got spanked by too many automatics. What are your intentions with the car? Are you going to race a lot? My personal opinion is that a well built automatic and a good torque converter is just as much fun as a 6-speed and is more consistent at the track(obviously).

The GTO isn't that bad in the rain but just like any RWD car you still have to be careful.

Insurance....that's something you'd have to get quotes for.

Some people have had little electrical issues with the GTO but I've seen plenty with issue free lives.

If you're narrowing down between a GTO or a '02 GT..the GTO is a hands down choice. I've been in too many Mustangs...they don't impress me...I despise the 4.6L motor....it's junk IMO...but that's just my opinion. Go test drive both cars and see what you like better.

I hope I answered your questions to your satisfaction.

Also, hit up http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/ Start reading, lol
finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, long question but here goes. I am the current owner of a '04 Yellow GTO and a '06 Orange GTO. The difference between engines is significant, but so is the difference between the Auto and the 6 speed. The auto cars are very routinely faster at the drags than the 6-speed cars becuase they are easier to launch as well as the shifts are always consistant. As far as your concern about driving in the rain, don't worry about it. As long as you aren't trying to drive around full throttle (and you leave the traction control on), you will be fine in the rain. Tires make a big difference in the rain, but like I said, keep your foot out of it and leave on the traction control. My insurnace on my '04 is in fact a good bit cheaper every 6 months than my '06s, but I don't exactly have the best driving record. I would say hands down the '05 except for the fact it is an auto, but I am a fan of a 6 speed, and Iike the better gas mileage that comes with it. Either way you deiced, for the love of god, get the GTO over a mustang. I traded in a 2000 Mustang ragtop and my only problem is that I didn't do it sooner. Hope this answers your questions, if not, let me know and I will do what I can.
zachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang? Hold on a second while I puke...

I have an 05 6 speed. Sometimes I wish it were an auto, but most times I'd take the stick. BTW, the stick mileage is much better, but who cares?

Here's how I would decide this:

1. No, it's not worth $5k for an LS2, but 20K miles makes a big difference. It's the overall condition of the car that you need to look at. Look them both over good, and look at the edges of things. It's easy to clean a carpet in the middle, but the edges will still be dirty. Same thing for paint, etc.

2. For most people, an auto will be faster in almost all circumstances. There is no time lost during clutching on takeoff, and shifts are quicker. That said, the stick is more fun, and you won't have to deal with being called girly by the neandrethals.

3. My car is fine in the rain, but has a bad habit of fogging the CRAP out of the windows. I've never heard of another compliant like this, though.

4. You'd have to check with your insurance company.

5. 37k, not a single issue. Not one. Don't take offense here, but taking what I consider a pot shot at GM reliability after asking a newbie type question - well it lacks a little credibility. What do you REALLY know about GM reliability? I've been a dealer for a while now, and a car guy my whole life. I work on all makes in my shop, and my experience is GM makes cars that stand up to anyone elses, including any import you might be thinking of.

Think about this: GM builds a car that has 400hp and it doesn't blow thannys and rear ends. Can you name an import brand that has done this?
Farren is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion