Ford Mustang or Toyota Camry Solara SLE? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Mustang or Toyota Camry Solara SLE?

So I am getting a car for college, the choices are down to two.

1) 2007 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible. 31,000 miles
2) 2004 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 Convertible. 50,000 miles

I asked a lot of my friends, and they all agree that Mustang is more showy and it has more power under the roof, and I do really like the exterior and interior design. But statistically speaking, we all know Japanese car has better performance in the long run, and I am not a big racer, and I do take care of my car greatly. Both cars have the same fuel economy and price.
So, paradox, yay.
Please tell me more about their performances and reliability.
I think people have this usual impression that American car will break down on any given day, but I have a 01 Ford Explorer since when I was a sophomore in high school, and now it has 110K on it, and it runs great.

ADVICE PLEASE!
fairlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang is a much better car, PLUS the one your looking at has lower mileage than the Solara AND it's 3 years newer.

Mustang is also MUCH better looking!

Should be NO contest!!!

My brother has an 04 Mustang, had it since 05, and it's been completely trouble free!

And Japanese superiority? Please... MY car is a 1981 Oldsmobile. Nearly 28 years old, I've had it for 5 years, it's ***NEVER*** broken down on me, and I often take it on 1000+ mile trips.. yes, original engine... I rebuilt the transmission last year, ONLY as preventative maintanence, and other minor jobs I've done on it, such as a new radiator and alternator. Thats IT!

Another factor: the Mustang is RWD, so not only does it have superior, predictable handling, and NO torque steer, it will be cheaper to maintain and service.
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Of course go with the Mustang, there are many around and parts are all over the place not only for repairs but also aftermarket upgrades. The Solara is low production and no where near as good looking as the Mustang. and if you think repairs are expensive wait until you need repairs on that Toyota, they are fine until they break you better have steep pockets. Everyone I know with Mustangs loves them.
macray33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

They are both convertibles. The V6 Mustang isn't a good performer. But its better for gas mileage. And Toyotas are good reliable cars. You will have adequate performance with that V6. I guess it depends all on you, which you like better. Honestly if it was me I would forget the Solara and the V6 mustang. I'm a performance guy, and I would go only for a V8 Mustang (GT) in coupe form.
bishamon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Assuming they are both in good condition, no wrecks in their carfax, you have had an independant mechanic check both over with no problems, then the Toyota is far more likely to give you dependability and will be worth more later when you sell or trade it.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

not really if ya think about impors are cheap to upgrade and do usually have better handling meaning theyll woop on old school muscle cars in the curves but id personally would always choose an old school american muscle car since they stank some *** gainst them in the strecth ya know? power over handling for me.
banjamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

First, congrats on having to choose between those two cars for college! Not a bad dilemma to figure out.

I disagree that the Mustang 4.0L V6 is "more muscle under the hood" than the Camry. It's faster than the girlie-looking previous gen 3.8L, but it's actually not fast fast as the GTs that come with the V8. Rated power is 210 hp (157 kW) whereas the Solara's new 3.3 L V6 rated at 225 net HP @ 5,600 rpm (168 kW) and 240 lbft (325 Nm) of torque @ 3,600 rpm (325 Nm) with a 0-60 of 6.9 seconds, with a quarter mile of 15.50 @ 93.50 mph (150.47 km/h). I always felt that the Camry is smoother on takeoffs, whereas the Mustang feels like a truck that's just getting started.

Something else to look at: interior quality. The Mustang has cheap, hard, tacky plastics. All the buttons are small and feel like they're glued on and about to fall off. The Solara is much more refined, and has auxiliary jacks for iPods, easy-to-hook-up 6-disk CD changers in the trunk, etc. People will look at the exterior of the ride, but you have to live inside the car. It's much easier and cheaper to customize the Solara than the Mustang.

Of course, these are all opinions... and quality is a subjective matter. Good luck!
fahyim is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion