2002 corvette 2003 cobra or evo? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
2002 corvette 2003 cobra or evo?

I have a 2002 c5 2 owner car with kooks longtubes offroad xpipe and b and b bullet exhaust, intake dyno tuned it has 78k miles on it 6 speed it seems like it might start having problems is my daily driver i like it because of sex appeal and fun factor but seems like it has lost a lot of power since mods were put on last yearish, have been a mustang fan esp terminator aka 2003/2004 cobra i know they are fast and moddable and i like the mitsubishi evos 2003-2005ish not the brand new ones there are a few of these for sale in my area I want racing power sound and pick up *** car like the vette whats my best bet? Buy one of those ?keep up vette? or trade in for another c5 with lower miles? Thanks

odam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Registered Member

couple of points for you to consider on the one i know best...

-03/04 terminators among the most easiest to upgrade because of original build quality, but they are not without their faults

-assembly of the powertrain is all very good (but require upgrade of the spline in the 6sp trans), but interior assembly is weak/quite cheaply done.

-with a little suspension work, they make an excellent street car (only mustang with IRS).

i dearly love my terminator...and the power is quite impressive.....but quite frankly next car will likely be z06.

if you are serious about a terminator some personal recommendations:

-04 and 03 are identical but 04's had less head problems (also only 5600 were produced in 04)
-try for low mileage, there are many garage queens around (for example my 04 has never seen rain or snow and just turned 19,000 mi.
there are others around with less miles than that.
-many cobra guys recommend buying bonestock cobra - then modding it, which i have never understood because:
-easy to turn a car that's been pullied back to stock, no one will know
-if you buy power on the hoof its much much cheaper than buying it aftermarket and installing it.

example ......i bought my cobra (after searching for about 6 mos. for $23,000.....talked to the pro shop that did all the mods, had a full ck done including compression, and all was a-1
car was running:
-2.3 whipple blower at 15p.s.i.
-60lb injectors & a MAFia
-fuel rails
-top end intercooler
-centerforce dfx clutch
-magnaflow catbacks & x-pipe
-springs, suspension, subchassis upgrades
-other stuff
-19" original foose rims
-$2000 custom audio install (dual amp/woofers/pro installation).

to date, i have done oil changes and new tires(on order), and will likely put on qa-1's on the back to stiffen the suspension.....
car was dyno'd at 575rwHP

so those are just personal thoughts on the cobra....have no view on the EVO, but have driven the new WRX sti, and like it a lot except found the clutch sloppy-slow to engage.....i just cannot get my head around a 4 dr. sedan with all that screwy looking bodykit (turbo'd z or supra or skyline/gt-r that's a lotta appeal).

personally if i were you.......and your vette is clean...i would rebuild the engine and tighten it up. quite frankly if its a daily driver - you might find its better to dd than a terminator....

anyway just personal views.......if you want more you can sight me direct at:
can give you some websites etc...if you are interested.

cheers04 cobra

caius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

They are all easily modded. Just depends if you want a AWD car or Rear. The evo will kill most things from a dig, but the Mustang and corvette will kill the evo on the highway.
wakiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

dario is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion