How can you find a car's history through a VIN number if the car doesn't belong to you? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How can you find a car's history through a VIN number if the car doesn't belong to you?

I saw a 1968 Mustang Shelby for sale for a cheap price. I've contacted the owner but i'd like to know if there is any place that i can go to to find out the car's history (mechanics, accidents, etc.) I only have the VIN number of the car and the car was built in 1968. So i'd like to know if there is any website that i can find out what i need to know about this car.
lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

How can you find a car's history through a VIN number if the car doesn't belong to you?

First, if a deal on a car sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Why would you buy any used car that you can't see, can't drive, and can't have a mechanic look over???

Second, VIN numbering only started in 1981.

In short, this is probably a scam, maybe the one discussed here:
http://www.used-car-advisor.com/car-seller-scam.htm

bourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There is no system to check out the VIN on a car this old. The best you will be able to do is track down past owners and ask them. By the way, if you have a chance to get a real Shelby for cheap, accidents and mechanics are the least of your worries. A real Shelby, even in poor condition is worth a fortune. Do not worry about the past, if it is real and legit, then buy it if it's cheap. A Shelby needing restoration should be $15,000 or more, a restored one will be close to the $75000 to $80000 range.
jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

what one needs to know is
how to check a used car
how to buy used car

so type that into search box

and sure that info wil be enough. you can find other owner sometimes but what differents that makes..

not what you really need to know about what shape a car was in more important to know what shape its in now not what it was in
brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Carfax would give a vague history as in if it had work done from an accident and such but as in maintenance history that would be hard to come by unless repair receipts are with the car. Not sure how far back Carfax goes though.
Berwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You can try Car Fax, but it requires a fee and will only give you information that has passed through the DMV. As far as mechanical it's a mystery... good luck.
trenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Do not buy this car without seeing it and checking with the California DMV. There is no way this car should be that cheap. Something is amiss.
aodh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion