How can I tell or know if my car (Dodge Stealth) has a turbo? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #1

How can I tell or know if my car (Dodge Stealth) has a turbo?

I have a 1992 Dodge stealth R/T DOHC 24V 5-speed. My dad had bought it from a Tow Truck place and gave it to me for my 18 birthday. It says (Turbo) on both sides of the car. (my dad says that they probably just put them there). I wanted to know how I could tell if it has a turbo. when I turn the car on it has like a little whistle to it but I don't know if it's the turbo or something else. I started at a 5mph roll and when I took off it didn't really pull off fast once it hit about 3000rpm it instantly pulled and it took off faster. I have raced a 1994 mustang 5.0 and took it easily. I had previously owned a 1996 Mitsubishi 3000gt 5-speed and the Dodge stealth seems to be faster. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT? -SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY-
carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Well... Back in the late eighties the partnership between Mitsubishi and Chrysler brought us many "captive imports". They were engineering a replacement for the Conquest/Starion twins. So the Stealth and 3000gt was born... but as front wheel drive cars. Only the Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4 and the Dodge Stealth R/T twin turbo had All-wheel drive, 6 speed manual vs the front drive 5 speed version, 320 hp 3.0 engines, and 4 wheel steering. Also they had four exhaust outlets vs two visually speaking and little inter-coolers installed ahead of the front tires. The badges could have been added on by the "previous owner"
http://www.3000gtvr4.com/index.php?o...d=39:frontpage
Zimra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You'll be able to tell pretty quickly by watching two guages. The speedometer and the fuel guage. If the fuel guage goes down as quickly as the speedometer goes up, you have a turbo my friend! From your description, it sure sounds like a turbo performing! Have fun...but please drive safely! ( Court and insurance is very expensive! ) You should be able to enter your car "VIN" number and find out all kinds of information about your vehicle.
derrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

by the sound of the 3000rpm part of the story, it does sound like it has a turbo.

if you want futher confirmation, try to hear very hard for a whistle or airy sort of sound as you accelerate and take a look inside the engine for the turbo
imported_karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #5

Open the hood and look. It's not welded shut. No clue what you are looking at? That's sad.
Turi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

open the hood and look for the turbo.
roselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Normally when it says turbo it has it but look online for ware it the stock turbo is fk that car and look it may have it but It could be broken but a turbo makes ur car like wine inside of hearing the engine u will he that whinin noise if u hear that that'll does just go start ur car an I'm not saying to punch it but give it at lot of gas or punch it don't matter but that should tell you cause turbo in all car unless if it's gets upgrade/tuned up it will
harailt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion