Why is my car reacting so bad to cold weather? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #1

Why is my car reacting so bad to cold weather?

I have a 1999 mustang gt 5spd and for some reason in the cold mornings or just cold day my car always acts like it wants to die but only when pressing clutch putting it in nuetral. Im taking it to ford dealership to get checked i just wanna see what u guys think.
Rhychdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

faulty temperature sender(very common ) or leaking or faulty cold start bypass system
greid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #3

Hi,

I didn't look this up so it is off hand.

By what you are saying(stalling while pushing clutch and putting in neutral on cold days)

You might need to clarify a little bit more, is it while stopped putting it is neutral or some other scenario.

If I am reading it right then:
You could have a problem with the oil in it did someone put a heavy gear oil in it, not supposed to have gear oil in it.

You can be actually putting it in 5th gear and not neutral, this can be because of a gear oil in there.

I didn't look up the gear set up so, not sure.

Check the oil in it.
Taber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

typical ford. i have owned fords for nearly 30 years and my dad before me so that sound normal to me.
cedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you take it to a dealership it will never be the same! (you must not know what is going on at the dealerships these days) (Auto Zone could diagnose it more accurately! Lol) Take it to an Independent shop that has a good reputation in your area! I am sure you will be more happy! You may want to clean your IAT (intake air temperature) sensor as the thermistor gets covered in carbon and can no longer accurately "sense" the temperature of the incoming air in order for the PCM to make the necessary adjustments!

ADDED: @ David you must of never had anyone around that could make a Ford run good!
There is NO IDLE adjustment on this application as the PCM controls the pulse of the IAC resonator. The minimum air rate screw should NEVER be tampered with!
Cortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filter? If all of those are fairly new within the last 20,000 miles then it could be sensors. But when you put it in neutral/ push the clutch in, the engine slows down and the pressure in the fuel system and air flow drops. Does it to it more when the engine is cold or warm? Does it die or just feel like its missing? Could also be your idle adjustment. If its idling too low you may have that issue as well. I had an older mustang that had an idle adjustment that did that. Once I adjusted the tension via the adjustment screw it fixed the issue. Not sure how the 99s are for idle adjustment. It may be electronic. Just a few things to consider.
deshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion