What is a good first car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What is a good first car?

it takes 2 minutes to read everybody lol people are saying i will crash but no one has said a specific car YET. so here goes again.
okay...so most parents do surprises for thier sons, but, i was simply told that my parents have $8,000 set aside for my first car. i have looked through auto trader, magazines, and other stuff. (shhh, dont tell anyone, but i have about an hour worth of experience behind the wheel...i drove for an hour straight so i have an idea of how well i am) so, i do know what i want...in a way...almost. so here is a list of cars that i like

1999 pontiac trans-am with a ws6 package, t tops,
99 camaro SS t tops/conv,
2010 cobalt ( i found a coupe for $7,000)
2001 mustang
2000 pontiac GTO
1999 audi TT

however, i do, for some reason, love a good ol' 1998 buick century limited with a tilt steering wheel, bench seats, power seats, sun roof, i think its cool...most think its just a beater but i cleaned one (i clean cars for a living...$30 gets you an as-close-to-new car as possible. nothin i can do about stains haha) and i really liked it. i sat in the driver seat for like 10 minutes pretending i was driving. however its only like $1,000-$1,500...i do want to use the full 8 grand lol
so, aside from sports cars and the people who think i should still have more exp. behind the wheel, here are the plain jane cars i would like

1998 buick century limited
1999 buick lesabre? idk spelling
1999 chevy S10
2001 chevy windowless van....(i have always wanted to make it a mobile home...put in a bed, a TV, a movie rack, i love black and white movies lol, carpet, a couch, blackets and pillows, and make it a cozy 1 room home...almost like a sleeper simi. told my friend and he said "you mean a rapist van?)
1999 BMW M3
audi A8

i was also concidering waiting for one of those sports cars to be like $5,000 or less and buy one of both sides... idk. will you guys help? like a cargo van AND a camaro haha idk

side note: i love my parents for what they did. i am ever so more greatful for them to get me A car at age 14... almost 15. its just awesome.

or, anything else you guys can think of?

Additional Details
the car i drove in for 1 hour with no exp in a classroom was a 1994 camaro...a manual at that. no accidents, scratches, i have straight A's, please realize. and also realize i have a list of plain jane cars that i would also like. somebody, JUST PICK ONE. "insurance" thats what my job is for. "ur gonna crash" then pick one of the plane jane cars. "ur going to kill yourself" little extremest, maybe? im 15 in september 11th, i am going to be driving in may, im going to need something. and an investment is needed now.
i do have a job. yes, its a cleaning car thing but i surprisingly make good money. i make around $300 a week. i think i can pay insurance myself lol and WHY DOESNT ANYBODY READ THIS???? SOMEONE JUST POINT OUT A F*CKING CAR ALREADY!
and one last thing...i make around $300 a week, yes. why dont i buy my own? well. i simply do not want to. i save up my money for collage, plus if i want something i have to bu it myself. but mostly collage, really. dont play video games.
josilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Ultra Short Answer: BMW M3

Slihgtly Less Short Answer: Mustang or BMW M3, depending on your budget(BMW is more) and how many rednecks are around(they'd hassle you less in the Mustang)

Also, I'll make it easy and strongly recommend you don't consider anything else. Read on for more... lots more...

Ultra-Long Answer:
You're 14, you can afford to get a car you consider great, and you know the risks/pitfalls/etc/etc.
First of all, I don't recommend getting 2 cars. It's a pain. I am 32 with plenty of cash, and I only have one. You're very lucky to have $1200+/mo income at 14, and extra lucky to have parents willing to buy you this so you can save for college. So...

Let's see your options:
1999 pontiac trans-am with a ws6 package, t tops,
99 camaro SS t tops/conv,
2010 cobalt
2001 mustang
2000 pontiac GTO
1999 audi TT
1998 buick century limited
1999 buick lesabre? idk spelling
1999 chevy S10
2001 chevy windowless
1999 BMW M3
audi A8

First of all, you probably want something from after 2000. Otherwise, maintenance and repairs can be a real pain.

Let's narrow it down to:

Cobalt, Mustang, GTO, BMW M3. These are the best of the bunch. You know, as cars for a driver who isn't a boring old person.
Pick-up trucks are surprisingly UNSAFE due to being unwieldly and having blindspots. More importantly, they are boring and a pain. Vans are just pick-up trucks with caps, effectively.

Cobalt is the safest bet, but also the most boring car.
The GTO is the next safest, but also the next most boring. It has gobs of horsepower. If you want handling, however, stay away.

Now things get interesting: a Mustang or a BMW M3. That is a very tough call.

I could say... the Mustang is more car for the money, but less car than the BMW M3, which is a lot more money, but less car for the money, but the better car. But that doesn't help you out much, does it? You want someone to just pick you a car already.

I will list some attributes, say which car does the best in each, and then you can decide or go with the short answer:
1) Acceleration: Mustang, hands-down
2) Handling: BMW, hands-down
3) Cost: Mustang costs less overall, no comparison
4) Value: Mustang again(somewhat subjective)
5) Space: BMW M3(if it's a sedan)... and maybe even if it's a coupe. Mustangs are smaller, I think.
6) Safety: tie
7) Refinement: BMW
8) image: BMW(unless you live in... umm... shall we say, the heartlands? Midwest? Surrounded by rednecks? LOL)
9) Over-all driving experience: BMW
10) Passenger experience: BMW
11) Gas Mileage: Probably the BMW here too
12) You'll probably want to keep the BMW longer, unless expenses get to you
13) Insurance: tie(but who cares)

Really, I think the best thing you can think of to decide is which car you'd want to drive until you were 30, and whether or not you are getting a car you want to drive at 30. IF everything else is the same, get the BMW if you want to still have it when you're 30, and get the Mustang if you plan on replacing it at or shortly after college graduation.
Since I would never buy a car planning to get rid of it, my ultra-short answer is the BMW M3. By the tiniest hair's width.

And I think my answer is longer than your question.
imported_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The BMW M3 has a solid history of always being great. Lower miles are more important than a newer model year. And BMW styling is pretty consistent. Try to keep the miles under 100,000 and the year 2000 or newer. But the miles are more important. Also, the engines don't change much in that time.
Zimra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My uncle has an '04 m3 and it's a sweet car. It has a inline six engine so it gets better gas than it's v8 cousins, and it still goes fast. He got his up to 160.
diwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

Those cars are alright, but I wouldn't recommend any of those in their fastest trims(no V8 mustang or camaro opt for a v6 instead) until you really get a feel for the road and driving. It's not on your list, however you should look into a Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, or a Nissan Maxima, each of those have trims with nice interior options, are good on gas and very safe in a crash test(at least a fairly modern 90+ version, all of these cars have been around since the 70's or 80's, for good reason). But a word of warning with these, a lot of idiots buy them and put silly modifications on it that will compromise the engine's longevity and even sap power from the engine so buy one from a responsible owner and buy one that's stock with less than 200k miles(the 100-150,000 mile range may sound high, but every car I've had made it at least to 250k and most people only drive around 15,000 miles a year).
Armondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion