Should we fix our 1996 Camaro or buy this 1998 Mustang from a kid I work with? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #1

Should we fix our 1996 Camaro or buy this 1998 Mustang from a kid I work with?

So last year, my dad went out and bought me a 1993 Mercuri Capri for $1500. He didn't really inspect it before buying it. He kind of just bought it and took a risk, which was not the smartest thing to do when buying cars. It turned out to be a piece of crap and we scrapped it and got about $300 for it. Then my dad went to Florida and bought a 1996 rust-free Camaro convertible for $2700. He then drove it all the way back to Ohio which is where we live. Again, my dad just bought it without inspecting it and thought it would be fine. We spent over $2000 fixing it up, and now after having it for two months, the engine blew so it needs a new engine now... To buy and put in a new one would cost at least another $2000. It has approximately 135,000 miles on it, but like I said, it is also rust-free. Since we are tight on money, we are looking for different alternatives. I just found out that a kid that I work with drives a 1998 Mustang convertible. It has approximately 120,000 miles on it, but still runs great. Today, me and my mom(without my dad) went and inspected the car. It is an Ohio car, so it does have rust on it unlike the Camaro. They want $3000 for it, but the lowest they would go would be $2700. We don't know what we should do since we are tight on money... We are also paranoid that if we bought the Mustang that it would have problems as well since we have been having bad luck so far(even though it's been my dad's fault for the other cars). What do you think we should do? Fix the Camaro? Or sell the Camaro for whatever we can get and buy the Mustang? Or anything else that you can think of? I'm really into 4 seater sports cars especially if they are convertibles. Also, nothing over $5000. Even that is a lot of money for us right now.
anfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #2

Buy a new car
Armondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:38 AM   #3

For $5,000, what can you get...
4 sports coupe, convertible.
I'm going to cars.com. I'd tell you to do it, but I'm bored.
But don't get either of these cars. You've had enough break-downs already.
By the way, I'm looking for cars within 100 miles of Columbus, OH, which is where I live.
There's a 2000 Mercury Cougar for $5K, 83,000 miles.
Probably a lot less likely to break down than what you are looking at.

Now, regarding the Camaro and Mustang(the Cougar is FWD, smaller, and less masculine, so I'm guessing you won't want it)...
1) get the carfax on the Mustang
2) Get as much maintenance documentation on the Mustang as you can
3) Get a thorough mechanical inspection done on the Mustang
4) If everything checks out, get it.
Do NOT put more money in the Camaro.
Cars rarely are worthy of second chances.
If one thing goes wrong? Another will.
adamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 04:36 AM   #4

gotta look at all the new parts in the camaro/is it worth it? if not get something else/buying a car off a friend /neighbor/ relation leads to hard feelings/better to check out other options/that camaro with 135k on it is not a lot of miles/sounds like neglect was involved/dad drove it 2k miles/cant beat that road test/what ever you get convert to mobile one and change the oil and filter/use 5w30/that saves engines
Orin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Tags
1998 mustang