Drill buffer attachment? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Drill buffer attachment?

I have a 1979 Mustang and it has original paint, but shes getting pretty "blah", so I was wondering if I could use a simple buffer drill attachment to bring out the shine and remove some oxidation? I know i know i know, "buy a porter cable buffer". i dont have the money, so what type of attachment would be best? What type of wax/compound? etc thanks!!
hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Drill buffer attachment?

T cut
cosgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
Tye
Registered Member
Regular

Drill buffer attachment?

I'd not really recommend using a drill and a attachment especially if you've not used a drill to buff before.One major reason is you an damage the paint due to over heating or burning the pain with a buffer or by concentrating on one area too much or applying too much pressure, plus a drill buffer could easily slide or slip when applying pressure.

In my opinion Carnauba Wax is the type of wax you should be especially bec you had mentioned oxidation and it's designed to really get rid of car paint oxidation and to bring back the paint natural colour too.

Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way be sure to double check the contents of the wax make sure it offers UV protectors.Make sure that the car hasn't sat in the heat and its best to keep in the car in the garage at cool temperatures if all possible before trying to wax it.Heat an severely damage paint surfaces if wax is applied and you want to car as clean, free of dust etc and dry as possible when you wax it.I'd wax it once then maybe a wk or so later again I recommend this due to the oxidation problems and especially if it's not been waxed in sometime.Note don't concentrate on one area too long and try not to do too much circle motions bec you could leave circle marks at the end.
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Drill buffer attachment?

Believe me,the drill/buffer will make things worse.That combination is great for small things like the headlights and tail lights but will really screw up the paint.Here's a link to an affordable and quality tool that will last for years.There is also a 20% off coupon available at WOW coupons.
Use this polisher with rubbing compound then follow with wax.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...der-92623.html
twain is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion