96' Mazda ECU issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Other
96' Mazda ECU issue

About to start making calls but wanted to ask here first.

I have a 96' Mazda protege with a 1.5L 5spd, last summer the CEL came on and the culprit was a leaking valve cover gasket had leaked oil into the distributor, causing a miss fire. I had the gasket, cap, wires and plugs all replaced. CEL gone car runs fine for many thousands of miles and several months zero issues.

I go to get an inspection and the computer says there were 5 systems not ready so it could not be inspected until they are reading ready. The tech advised I drive it 30-40 miles at different speeds, in town, highway etc and come back and not to shut the car off and he would check to see if they were ready. I drive the car 100+ miles and he checked again, this time it said 4 systems 'not ready'. I disconnected the battery for half an hour drove another couple thousand miles and he checked again, 4 systems not ready still.

I had the car inspected the year before and passed with no issue and am convinced that the issue is somehow tied to the earlier issue with the CEL. I'm told early OBD2 systems have quirky issues like this that are hard resolve. The only reasonable suggestion I've herd is that the ECU may be bad now.

Anyone have experience with a situation like this?
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion