Tips on Buying a New Car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Tips on Buying a New Car

Hey guys, over the last few months i've saved up a nice chunk of cash and i plan on buying a new Mustang. I'm AIMING towards either a 99 or an 01 cobra. But i'm not opposed to getting a lower milage GT either. I plan on buying Private party, because In my experience you end up paying way too much at a dealer an it's taken me what seems like forever to save up. So i'm trying to get the MOST car, for the LEAST cash. Lol

I'm looking for tips on What too look for in these cobras, questions to ask the owner, things i should watch out for, ect. I've been looking around and the market suggests around $10,000 for an 01 with 60k to 70k miles. Any tips on negotiation tactics is appreciated as well. I have NO idea where to start.

Generally what i'm looking for is General car buying tips that anyone can use in order to avoid buying a clunker, or way overpaying for a car.
Also any insider info from Cobra owners on the 99's and 01's is appreciated!!!
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
someone is selling their yellow cobra for 8500 obo i think on this forum

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, i was monitoring that thread like a hawk. But i'm way up north. trying to find something relatively close maybe at most a state over. If i had the means to take a look at it i would, lol
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Check what the car is worth on kelly blue book, you enter the miles, condition and specs and it gives you a value for private party sellers. Also check the car for any body damage, look at the frame under the hood and check if its all straight. measure from corner to corner it should equal the same number. If the car was it in a front end crash the frame would ne pushed back and the numbers wouldnt match. Then check the motor open the hood and let it run and make sure there are no unusual sounds, check all the fluids and colors of the fluids. Then take it for a test drive make sure it s running smoothly, no sounds or squeaks or grinds. Also ask to see the pink and if its in there name... you dont wanna buy a stolen car.. if there is anything wrong with the car then the price will go lower then bluebook value.. kbb usually gives you different prices for great, good and bad condition and thats what i do
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

If you looking at a 99 Cobra make sure that it has the recall done. I believe it will have a blue dot on one of the heads if it has been done. Look for frame damage and check to see if the body panels all line up. Also the Corba IRS is notorious for a clunk when shifting. If it's a mild clunk it can be fixed if it's a major clunk.....pass.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Get a mechanic and have them look at the car before you give them the $. And If the seller trips about you having someone look at the car I wouldn't touch it.
Tha twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Many shops will do a "pre-purchase vehicle inspection" 4 you for about $150. They check over the entire car including all your fluids, brakes, transmission , etc. Actually had mine done at a tire shop.I think it's very well worth it and seller should have no problem with it or somethings fishy.
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I say spend the money and get a car fax

We did my car and had all the service records for the first owner since off the lot and the second owner
Very very helpful well worth the money I think
03torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life
Many shops will do a "pre-purchase vehicle inspection" 4 you for about $150. They check over the entire car including all your fluids, brakes, transmission , etc. Actually had mine done at a tire shop.I think it's very well worth it and seller should have no problem with it or somethings fishy.
Usually accurate and trustworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03torch
I say spend the money and get a car fax

We did my car and had all the service records for the first owner since off the lot and the second owner
Very very helpful well worth the money I think
carfax is a scam business. Discussed in detail in other threads.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Hey guys, over the last few months i've saved up a nice chunk of cash and i plan on buying a new Mustang. I'm AIMING towards either a 99 or an 01 cobra. But i'm not opposed to getting a lower milage GT either. I plan on buying Private party, because In my experience you end up paying way too much at a dealer an it's taken me what seems like forever to save up. So i'm trying to get the MOST car, for the LEAST cash. Lol

I'm looking for tips on What too look for in these cobras, questions to ask the owner, things i should watch out for, ect. I've been looking around and the market suggests around $10,000 for an 01 with 60k to 70k miles. Any tips on negotiation tactics is appreciated as well. I have NO idea where to start.

Generally what i'm looking for is General car buying tips that anyone can use in order to avoid buying a clunker, or way overpaying for a car.
Also any insider info from Cobra owners on the 99's and 01's is appreciated!!!
get an 02 cobra. that's when they started supercharging them!
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1

get an 02 cobra. that's when they started supercharging them!
I think you mean 03? That's when they started the "Terminators". 02 Cobras were very limited in production and only available in Australia. But the 03's are well above his $10k price range.
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid View Post

I think you mean 03? That's when they started the "Terminators". 02 Cobras were very limited in production and only available in Australia. But the 03's are well above his $10k price range.
no. they started supercharging cobras in 02 and yes the 03 and 04s are called termis
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1

no. they started supercharging cobras in 02 and yes the 03 and 04s are called termis
No disrespect, but a 2002 Cobra was not supercharged. Only 2003 and 2004s were.
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No disrespect, but a 2002 Cobra was not supercharged. Only 2003 and 2004s were.
none taken...

http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/v...erience_id=412
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm telling you man.. Lol. There's even a guy on here with one.. They had the same engines as the 99/01.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2100034213.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	86056   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-57208614.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	86057  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-895168225.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	86058  
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Badda bing
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm telling you man.. Lol. There's even a guy on here with one.. They had the same engines as the 99/01.
buttttt they did
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
for new you need to find out invoice price (and invoice price of options you want or all options to compare)

You need to find out current rebates. This is both dealer and buyer rebates, dealer sometimes gets rebates you dont know about for selling a given car so they can negotiate further at times

If you buy towards the end of the month when the sales guys are trying to meet quota or pick up slack for pay checks you can sometimes get a better deal

Being nice, polite, but confident in what you want, how you want it, and what its worth (research) is a great way to go

Finding the same car at two dealerships, having both give you their best quote and then go with the one who will beat the other the best. The dealership I used said they would beat it by 200 bucks. YOU MUST ALWAYS get an ITEMIZED document from the dealer for the vehicle so you can use it as leverage if they other dealership comes back and says "oh they just didnt do this or that but their price and ours is the same" etc this saved me 200+ bucks

Buying year end models can help as well

If you order a car new from a dealership they may give you a better deal since they dont have to stock it, you just sign for it when it comes in.

If they dont have it but another dealer does then the original dealer gets the kick backs so most wont give you as good of a deal when they pull from another dealer
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion