Toyota FT86 (Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Toyota GT 86) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Toyota FT86 (Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Toyota GT 86)

So I was out and about today, and I saw a Toyota dealership, and an FT86 sitting out front. Black, standard, 24+k, no options/base price. Test drove it.

Pros
Boxer engine
Great aerodynamics
Fast revving engine
Short throw shifter
Clutch engage is short
Nice paint/rims
Low center of gravity
Nice seats, doors, steering wheel
Quick for what it is

Cons
Very close to the ground. Getting in and out made my back feel like the day after a good deadlift day...
The air splitter directs air directly INTO the engine bay. Not the point of one.
The engine feels like its lugging at 1500 rpms! My v6 pulls at 800 rpms!
The gear box is not like an H format, rather first is very off to the left, as is second, while fifth and sixth are very off to the right. Only third and fourth feel great.
I downshift. This gearbox didn't like it. It didn't feel like I was fighting to shiftto 2nd at 12 mph, it felt like there was a wall stopping me from shifting! I can go into 2nd at 40+ without issue, but rhis thought 12 was too extreme. Uhh, no.
The back seat is microscopic. There is more room in a 370Z, than the FT.
The front seat is worse. My head was against the ceiling, I am 5'9ish.
The radio is garbage. The same unit my girls 2006 Rav4 had.
The power steering sucks. It goes from drastic polar opposites of being too easy to move(no feedback) to being too heavy to move (driving through syrup), without any real reasoning other than trottle position. My Mustang is set on sport, with the least assist/best mileage, and I consistantly feel the road.
And...the price.

It is such a tear between fantastic, and "why the f!!! Did they do this..?" lol
Even talking to the dealer, he said it was because they expect it to be upgraded or replaced. When I buy a new 25k car, I do not plan on replacing the radio with some trash from wal mart or other junk. The unit in the car should be fitting, and look good. I was in a mid 2000 Pontiac the other day, even old, the radio looked like it fit, and not just some mass produced junk they put in everything.

The engine rocks at accelerating, or driving at 1750+ rpms. But I could not city drive it. When releasing the clutch, it would feel
Ike it was going to stall. When I give it throttle, it would not engage, just rev the engine. Uhh...when I release the clutch, and give throttle, car should move...wtf! Lol

Regardless, it is seems like a good, but a bit overpriced, car, and if you are 5'6 and under and autocross with a bigger budget, it seems like a great car. I implore anyone with a 2011+ to test drive one. You will re fall in love with your Stang

Anyone else have views? I think it is a great car, like the CRZ, just not quite right for me. I know some people here have talked about them, bit usually they are/thinking about them, and nothing here within 50 threads, so that is why I post. Not bashing, its just a different animal than our own.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I've test driven the BRZ twice. Auto and Manual. Overall, I like the car. I know the Subie interior is a step up from the Toyota/Scion but even still I'd agree it's outdated. The Subaru version does have all the comforts I'd want though. Leather, heated seats, climate control.. Just not the best quality. I also agree that it is a bit pricey with the Subaru version getting close to 30k. Too much for a car with so little power. I think the car could look better too. It looks nice but not awesome.

I do enjoy how it drives though. Handles 10x better then my stang, even with all my suspension upgrades. It lacks power but it's not too bad imo. Not enough power for the price. I think it'd be great on autoX. And with a Vortech, it'd have the right amount of power. I will say it has a higher top speed then my 3.7 but then again, what car doesn't? But I do like the BRZ, just wish it had a better appearance (in & out) and I would be sold on it. Power is easy to get and having a great handling car can be fun. I'd take one as a DD if the price was cheaper.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
I've test driven the BRZ twice. Auto and Manual. Overall, I like the car. I know the Subie interior is a step up from the Toyota/Scion but even still I'd agree it's outdated. The Subaru version does have all the comforts I'd want though. Leather, heated seats, climate control.. Just not the best quality. I also agree that it is a bit pricey with the Subaru version getting close to 30k. Too much for a car with so little power. I think the car could look better too. It looks nice but not awesome.

I do enjoy how it drives though. Handles 10x better then my stang, even with all my suspension upgrades. It lacks power but it's not too bad imo. Not enough power for the price. I think it'd be great on autoX. And with a Vortech, it'd have the right amount of power. I will say it has a higher top speed then my 3.7 but then again, what car doesn't? But I do like the BRZ, just wish it had a better appearance (in & out) and I would be sold on it. Power is easy to get and having a great handling car can be fun. I'd take one as a DD if the price was cheaper.
Whats the speed? Ours w/o governor is 150+ I believe.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've never test driven the FRS or BRZ, but I hear they're fun little handling cars It's pretty cool that Toyota finally made a proper RWD car after so long. Only 200hp, though.... I know hp isn't everything, but I'd still find it difficult to trade in my Mustang for one of those--even though the FRS excels in the handling department. Not to mention I couldn't put that much money down for a car with little hp and little torque. I mean, 24K for a base? I dunno....

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Aren't they planning on a turbo model?
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

Whats the speed? Ours w/o governor is 150+ I believe.
Yeah, but we'd need a driveshaft and possibly new tires depending on which you have. 115-120 stock on our cars is pretty lame. The BRZ top speed is around 140-150 with the governor I believe. 152? I believe was the highest I saw on YouTube from a supposed stock car. But how often does anyone need to drive that fast? Unless it's a track. Not a factor I take in when buying a car.

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
Aren't they planning on a turbo model?
Some say yes, some say no. A supercharger would fit this car much better then a turbo though. If it was turbo'd there'd be no need to rev it up to 7k rpm where this car likes to be. That's kinda the whole point of this car I think.

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31 View Post
I've never test driven the FRS or BRZ, but I hear they're fun little handling cars It's pretty cool that Toyota finally made a proper RWD car after so long. Only 200hp, though.... I know hp isn't everything, but I'd still find it difficult to trade in my Mustang for one of those--even though the FRS excels in the handling department. Not to mention I couldn't put that much money down for a car with little hp and little torque. I mean, 24K for a base? I dunno....
I think it'd make a really fun DD. With only 200hp you could push the car all the time if you wanted without much worry. 200 is very useable power on the street. I mean how long could you keep your foot down on a 1000hp car on the street? Just wish it was a bit cheaper..
Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know about a Turbo, not much room. I would not be surprised if Subaru keeps it the same, really. Let after market go wild, and they keep them NA.

I only mentioned the aero top speed because you mentioned the other, I haven't hit 90 mph yet in mine lol

My top speed was 86, I believe. But the drive shafts fail from power/torque, many have pushed the limit of 135 and past.

To me, the FT looks great from the front and good from the back, overall, the exterior looks great to me. I like the rims, too. Though they were only 15" or so lol, add bigger and that performance is going to drop.

But for autocross, I think I would still sooner get a Z. They are pretty cheap after one owner.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know about a Turbo, not much room. I would not be surprised if Subaru keeps it the same, really. Let after market go wild, and they keep them NA.

I only mentioned the aero top speed because you mentioned the other, I haven't hit 90 mph yet in mine lol

My top speed was 86, I believe. But the drive shafts fail from power/torque, many have pushed the limit of 135 and past.

To me, the FT looks great from the front and good from the back, overall, the exterior looks great to me. I like the rims, too. Though they were only 15" or so lol, add bigger and that performance is going to drop.

But for autocross, I think I would still sooner get a Z. They are pretty cheap after one owner.
I know there's a lot of talk of an STI. But last I heard they're keeping it NA and giving it aero and suspension mods with some brembos. Which I think is good but I think the price would be over $30k which would be too high imo for maybe just a slight improvement in performance. I'm still considering one as it does drive really nice and would be a fun DD. Looks good, handles good, enough power for a DD, it's sporty and although the interior quality isn't the best, it's got everything I'd want. I'll have to do some thinking this year and see how I feel about it in 2014. But with the 2015 Stang, that will kinda take priority in my budget
Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Originally, I didn't think the BRZ looked that good, but I saw it in person at a new car auto show here in Indianapolis. I like it. I think it looked sporty and looked very proportionate, you know. It didn't have too large of backside, etc. Pretty cool.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

How in the Hell have you not been over 90 mph in that beast ?!!!!! I've been over 135 in mine on the track of course
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black

How in the Hell have you not been over 90 mph in that beast ?!!!!! I've been over 135 in mine on the track of course
Ha, never needed to, I guess. I like acceleration, not so much top speed. Come drag strip days in summer that number should be going up.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ha, never needed to, I guess. I like acceleration, not so much top speed. Come drag strip days in summer that number should be going up.
Everyday is a track day for me
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Everyday is a track day for me
I can't get pulled over, so I make sure I do not give anyone a reason to.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I can't get pulled over, so I make sure I do not give anyone a reason to.
Lol y not?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol y not?
Career and cant afford it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion