96 v6 swap. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
96 v6 swap.

So i found my old 96 v6 on craigslist. Im plannin on buyin it cause it was my first car and am gonna make a drag car outta it. I know ill need new suspension and a larger rear end. Can a 460 fit in these cars? What would it take? If a 460 dont fit what will?
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
lenthech
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996v6stang View Post
So i found my old 96 v6 on craigslist. Im plannin on buyin it cause it was my first car and am gonna make a drag car outta it. I know ill need new suspension and a larger rear end. Can a 460 fit in these cars? What would it take? If a 460 dont fit what will?
you can put just about any motor in just about any car. i have seen honda 600 coupes with a big block chevy and a 455 olds engine. i have also seen a couple of chevettes with big block chevys in them, one was even a street car.

as to your question, the 460 will fit nicely in the 96 stang, remember it was designed to accept the 4.6l sohc and dohc mod motors which are wider than a 460. engine mounts will be an issue, but i think that ford motorsport has the answer with swap mounts for a 460 into a fox body, remember that the sn95 is just a fox body with a few minor changes. there are also oil pans with the right configuration available from milodon and canton, and even ford motorsport as well. headers are another issue though, but perhaps fox body headers will fit, if not then its custom time. not hard if you start with one of the many header kits available and take your time placing the tubes and properly marking them for welding.

the next issue is the transmission. lentech has cast up bell housings to bolt the AOD to the 460, and i would venture to say that they can probably cast up a bell for the 4r70w as well. the E4OD might be a bit large for the trans tunnel. i suggest using the lentech constant pressure valve body with the revised shift pattern. if you want a manual trans, then the TKO600 trans is the one to use.

adapting the EFI system should be easy enough as the 460 did come with EFI in trucks, but a custom tune will be required. or you can go with an aftermarket EFI and save time. or go with a carb and save money, you may not pass emissions in your area though if required.

then its just a matter of upgrading everything else, the chassis, rear end, suspension, etc. to make everything work together properly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion