RUST REMOVAL - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
RUST REMOVAL

Anyone ever tried white vinegar to remove rust from a gas tank? Or know any other remedy for rust removal?
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
How bad is the rust? Surface rust or full blown pitted rust?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Only way to really get rid of rust is cut it out
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
Only way to really get rid of rust is cut it out
Depends if its just surface rust..pics would help
Old 02-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well yeah still have to remove it by sanding so pretty much cutting it out haha
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Lol. If its surface rust, there are a lot of things he can do. Get the rust out and use a converter/inhibitor. Depending on where it is. There is a difference in rust and rot. Lol. I agree grind it out. Nawh, coca-cola can even be used to remove rust.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Its surface rust in a motorcycle gas tank I wish I would have took pictures of the tank but trust me it was horrible. What I did was use a battery charger to get the rust out. It actually workd extremely well. All you do is fill the tank up with water and put about a cup of washing soda(not baking soda) in and slosh it around. Then hook up your negative cable directly to the tank, then take a piece of iron rod and connect the positive cable to the piece of iron place the iron in the tank but make sure it not touching the tank. I used a spray paint can cap. I punched the iron through the cap and placed the cap where you put gas in the tank. Then just let it charge for as long as you need while periodically flushing the tank with water and cleaning the iron rod. Ive had mine on the charger since Thursday its a slow process but works good. I also bought some white vinegar and some small bolts and shook that around every 24 hours to help break up the big stuff.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you could probably sand the area (remove all rust) and scuff up every bit of the tank, then repaint with the appropriate paint for a like new look

If you are worried the rust will come back you can get a rust cover paint that will stop it dead in its tracks
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Ohhhh you meant from inside a gas tank? Right? Not just surface rust on the outside?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Ohhhh you meant from inside a gas tank? Right? Not just surface rust on the outside?
Nope I wish. The outside looks great lol, but the inside looks like its been sitting out in a field for 20 years. Buts it actually coming along really well
Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Good deal. So in essence, you magnetically charged a rod and the rust from the tank is sticking to the rod?

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Been nice to have just removed the tank and had it sand blasted inside. A small portable sand blaster would have been great.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Been nice to have just removed the tank and had it sand blasted inside. A small portable sand blaster would have been great.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Good deal. So in essence, you magnetically charged a rod and the rust from the tank is sticking to the rod?

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Yeah I didnt even think about sandblasting until we already had it on a charger lol. so I decided to see if the charging process would work. Im probably going to sandblast as my next step.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator
Its surface rust in a motorcycle gas tank I wish I would have took pictures of the tank but trust me it was horrible. What I did was use a battery charger to get the rust out. It actually workd extremely well. All you do is fill the tank up with water and put about a cup of washing soda(not baking soda) in and slosh it around. Then hook up your negative cable directly to the tank, then take a piece of iron rod and connect the positive cable to the piece of iron place the iron in the tank but make sure it not touching the tank. I used a spray paint can cap. I punched the iron through the cap and placed the cap where you put gas in the tank. Then just let it charge for as long as you need while periodically flushing the tank with water and cleaning the iron rod. Ive had mine on the charger since Thursday its a slow process but works good. I also bought some white vinegar and some small bolts and shook that around every 24 hours to help break up the big stuff.
Mid West and other suppliers sell a kit for it. It's an inhibitor and coating process. I restore harleys and all I do is put a hand full of nuts and a little gas in it. Shake it really good for a good amount of time basically sanding the rust out. Make sure you count the nuts so you get them all out. Nothing more is needed. I've seen the coating they sell come off after a period of time and clog the carb up.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah. I've seen those kits to seal the tank. I've see the ones used for cars in restoration. Let us know how your magnetic process works.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit
Yeah. I've seen those kits to seal the tank. I've see the ones used for cars in restoration. Let us know how your magnetic process works.
Ya I wouldn't recommend the kit totally, the etching chemicals work good, but the coating sux. I'm curious to see how the charger works also, but who wants to wait days when you can do it in an hour.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Ya I wouldn't recommend the kit totally, the etching chemicals work good, but the coating sux. I'm curious to see how the charger works also, but who wants to wait days when you can do it in an hour.
+1 lol. But def a cool method of rust removal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion