Chevy fires a shot at the Eco boost. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Chevy fires a shot at the Eco boost.

Pretty impressive....

GM Lifts The Veil On New 420 Horsepower Twin-Turbo 3.6L V6 | Street Legal TV
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Smokeyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Allen texas
Region: Texas
Posts: 81
Isn't that the same hp as a stock 5.0?
Smokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
It's a V6......
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Very ..very impressed
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Ugh, my Internet is dragging. I wanna see this!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
redbeast0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 545
It's pretty cool but ill be impressed when they beat Godzilla.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Ah, Cadillac.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boomdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 681
Pretty cool. Not a huge GM guy, but I definitely like the horsepower wars going on these days!
__________________
Torque: It's like crack for your right foot
Boomdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
Pretty cool. Not a huge GM guy, but I definitely like the horsepower wars going on these days!
+1 It's good for Ford to get kicked in the rear a little just makes them have to work harder to build something better than GM.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Smokeyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Allen texas
Region: Texas
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

+1 It's good for Ford to get kicked in the rear a little just makes them have to work harder to build something better than GM.
+11
Smokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
AKE
Registered Member
Regular
 
AKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Morriston
Region: Florida
Posts: 141
Haha but think about it. They need the horse power to move them heavy *** cars XD

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Wow no sensor? XD
AKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
It's pretty cool but ill be impressed when they beat Godzilla.
Not happening !!!!!
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
redbeast0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

Not happening !!!!!
That's what I thought lol!
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
It's a V6......
Twin Turbo V6 big difference. Turbos ARE the replacement for displacement.

Cool none the less, impressive not so much. Just glad to see a competitive market.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
AKE
Registered Member
Regular
 
AKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Morriston
Region: Florida
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post

Twin Turbo V6 big difference. Turbos ARE the replacement for displacement.

Cool none the less, impressive not so much. Just glad to see a competitive market.
+1
AKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3695072380.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	97371  
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
99mustang99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Piedmont
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 651
.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1366629594.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	97372  
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Twin Turbo V6 big difference. Turbos ARE the replacement for displacement.

Cool none the less, impressive not so much. Just glad to see a competitive market.
Well what else would they do? Make a NA 420HP V6?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Haha that's funny.

I love turbos but I can see why some people dislike them
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
99mustang99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Piedmont
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Haha that's funny.

I love turbos but I can see why some people dislike them
I'm a supercharger man myself
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #21
AKE
Registered Member
Regular
 
AKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Morriston
Region: Florida
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mustang99 View Post

I'm a supercharger man myself
+1
AKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
It's pretty cool but ill be impressed when they beat Godzilla.
That's the 2015 shelby gt500's job :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Nice that they need 2 Turbos to match the 5.0s stock power.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
redbeast0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

That's the 2015 shelby gt500's job :p
Lol yup Godzilla is going down!

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

I can't wait till the new mustang comes out its going to be a revolution lol!
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post

Lol yup Godzilla is going down!

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

I can't wait till the new mustang comes out its going to be a revolution lol!
Don't be surprised if it don't I say the gtr is. Gonna get a hp increase
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
Pretty cool. Not a huge GM guy, but I definitely like the horsepower wars going on these days!
I feel the same way. While I may not ever buy a Dodge or Chevy, I like to hear them pushing the envelope in the HP wars. It keeps the big three competing, and we all win with that!
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
As usual GM has to one up the leader in innovative technology. It looks impressive and will probably be an awesome platform, but i'll keep my Ecoboost.

GM will be hard pressed not to put that into their half ton pickup line after a couple years of production and testing. Basically to compete with the current 3.5L Ecoboost in the F150's. They have done very well and account for almost half of the F150 sales. Though by 2015 the Atlas or whatever new F150 will probably have a new set of engines or serious refinements to the current line.

As much as I love my big v8's, I really am impressed with the Ecoboost. The torque, mpgs, and towing capabilities are off the charts. My 07 5.4 couldn't touch it in any way, except maybe the v8 rumble, but then again the twin turbos spooling up is hard to beat
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
As usual GM has to one up the leader in innovative technology. It looks impressive and will probably be an awesome platform, but i'll keep my Ecoboost.

GM will be hard pressed not to put that into their half ton pickup line after a couple years of production and testing. Basically to compete with the current 3.5L Ecoboost in the F150's. They have done very well and account for almost half of the F150 sales. Though by 2015 the Atlas or whatever new F150 will probably have a new set of engines or serious refinements to the current line.

As much as I love my big v8's, I really am impressed with the Ecoboost. The torque, mpgs, and towing capabilities are off the charts. My 07 5.4 couldn't touch it in any way, except maybe the v8 rumble, but then again the twin turbos spooling up is hard to beat
You know if GM puts that new v6 twin turbo engine in there Camaro , Ford will have to put a turbo V6 in the stang. Lets be honest. How long did Ford leave that crappy , non performance V6 engine in the pony before putting in that killer 3.7 305 HP v6. Had it not been for GM to put a 300 HP engine in the Camaro, the mustang v6 would of never gotten one. I love the fact that GM keeps Ford on their toes. Ford is awesome but got lazy there for years when the Camaro was not around. Say what you want, like the look of the Camaro or not it coming back out was the best thing that could of happened for the mustang.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Krazy Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 178
I think Chevy had to get that government money to come up with that lil trick of big hp in their pony car w/ v6. Ford rules but were watching their budget like the rest of us so they didn't take the bailout money. But I think the big 3 are all taking ques from the imports on small efficient motors with boost to make them perform. Just look at gte skyline n the supra or wrx although they don't get great mileage with mods on town but u get the point. I love ecoboost cars n trucks for it though. To HELL with Chevy , I will be waiting for the opportunity to put ecoboost in a fox as they get older
Krazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeyjoe View Post
Isn't that the same hp as a stock 5.0?
And 40 more torque
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
I am in no way any fan of GM products and in fact believe the quality of there vehicles are extremely poor and down right crappy. These beliefs are from my personal ownership and family members ownership of GM vehicles in the past, by far pitiful on engine longevity and transmissions. With that being said, Ford had really slacked off back in the mid and high 2000's and put no effort in making higher performance engines. How many years did Ford just leave the almost similar 300 HP V8 in the mustang. 2005 to 2010 the Gt hardly got a bump in real power . It wasn't until the new Camaro came out with the 400 plus HP and 304 HP Camaro did Ford step up and change. Had it not been for GM and the Camaro, the Mustang Gt would sill be rocking 315 HP or a hair over that. Ford is not leading , there following GM and then Ford does it way better but only after there backs are in the corner. Since GM is coming out with this twin turbo V6 then Ford will follow and come up with a V6 to match that but its not the other way around . Ford isn't the first one to come up with this. Ford quality is far superior than GM and they do everything better than GM but only after GM sheds the light onto the path. The only great thing about GM is that it keeps Ford in check .
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I am in no way any fan of GM products and in fact believe the quality of there vehicles are extremely poor and down right crappy. These beliefs are from my personal ownership and family members ownership of GM vehicles in the past, by far pitiful on engine longevity and transmissions. With that being said, Ford had really slacked off back in the mid and high 2000's and put no effort in making higher performance engines. How many years did Ford just leave the almost similar 300 HP V8 in the mustang. 2005 to 2010 the Gt hardly got a bump in real power . It wasn't until the new Camaro came out with the 400 plus HP and 304 HP Camaro did Ford step up and change. Had it not been for GM and the Camaro, the Mustang Gt would sill be rocking 315 HP or a hair over that. Ford is not leading , there following GM and then Ford does it way better but only after there backs are in the corner. Since GM is coming out with this twin turbo V6 then Ford will follow and come up with a V6 to match that but its not the other way around . Ford isn't the first one to come up with this. Ford quality is far superior than GM and they do everything better than GM but only after GM sheds the light onto the path. The only great thing about GM is that it keeps Ford in check .
I agree as far as the 90's and 2000's v6 engines sucking balls, hell I own one. I also would say that Ford does usually play catchup in the performance car division, but not the truck industry. I.E. the Lightning and Ecoboost F150.

However you can't say the 4v platform in the 2000's was a result of Ford slacking off. The 03 cobra was the produced to end the war between the mustang and camaro/trans am ws6...it just so happened GM axed both f bodies in 02. That car was a 400+hp monster in 03...iirc there weren't any other domestic production cars making those performance numbers for that kind of money. Plus while the mustang (all trims) may have lacked displacement and numbers, it was a better, more well rounded platform. It handled much better than the camaro in the 90's/00's, and was more reliable and had a much better interior.

You may want to read up on the modern twin turbo v6's, Ford definitely started producing twin turbo v6's for production first. They've had the 3.5 version in taurus SHO's and Flex's since 2010. They also offered smaller 4 cylinders and v6's in focus' and escapes. Then in 2011 the 3.5 was offered in the F150. It's been a huge success and GM still hasn't produced a worthy competitor. Hell for their new redesigned 2014 trucks they're still using the 4.3, 5.3 and 6.2L's, naming them Ecotecs and still using their cylinder shutoff bullsh*t. At least they finally implemented direct injection and a 6spd, though 8spds are the hot item now, it's okay GM

Another thing to keep in mind is that this new tt v6 from GM is for Cadillac, not Chevrolet. Cadillac is GM's premier luxury brand and this engine is fitting for the CTS. I gaurantee Chevy won't simply throw them into camaros just like Ford hasn't rushed to throw the Ecoboost into the mustang because they will change the pony car game. A tt v6 could never be the highest engine offering in a mustang or camaro, so the v8's would have to be overhauled to compete and remain as the premium engine and the base n/a v6's may not even used.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post

I agree as far as the 90's and 2000's v6 engines sucking balls, hell I own one. I also would say that Ford does usually play catchup in the performance car division, but not the truck industry. I.E. the Lightning and Ecoboost F150.

However you can't say the 4v platform in the 2000's was a result of Ford slacking off. The 03 cobra was the produced to end the war between the mustang and camaro/trans am ws6...it just so happened GM axed both f bodies in 02. That car was a 400+hp monster in 03...iirc there weren't any other domestic production cars making those performance numbers for that kind of money. Plus while the mustang (all trims) may have lacked displacement and numbers, it was a better, more well rounded platform. It handled much better than the camaro in the 90's/00's, and was more reliable and had a much better interior.

You may want to read up on the modern twin turbo v6's, Ford definitely started producing twin turbo v6's for production first. They've had the 3.5 version in taurus SHO's and Flex's since 2010. They also offered smaller 4 cylinders and v6's in focus' and escapes. Then in 2011 the 3.5 was offered in the F150. It's been a huge success and GM still hasn't produced a worthy competitor. Hell for their new redesigned 2014 trucks they're still using the 4.3, 5.3 and 6.2L's, naming them Ecotecs and still using their cylinder shutoff bullsh*t. At least they finally implemented direct injection and a 6spd, though 8spds are the hot item now, it's okay GM

Another thing to keep in mind is that this new tt v6 from GM is for Cadillac, not Chevrolet. Cadillac is GM's premier luxury brand and this engine is fitting for the CTS. I gaurantee Chevy won't simply throw them into camaros just like Ford hasn't rushed to throw the Ecoboost into the mustang because they will change the pony car game. A tt v6 could never be the highest engine offering in a mustang or camaro, so the v8's would have to be overhauled to compete and remain as the premium engine and the base n/a v6's may not even used.
Yes back in 03 Ford took the lead to end the pony wars and just so happened GM cut the Camaro and Firebird line. I would bet a pay check that had GM not come back with the Camaro and its V8 rocking 400 plus HP and V6 at 304 , the Gt model still be rocking 315 or a tad over. The GT would never have 420 HP had it not been for the Camaro to have put its 426 HP engine in it. Ford only upped there game after GM took the lead back with the 10 models with the first 304 HP and 400 HP pony car. Ford was dormant from 05 to 10 with there mustang when it came to power.

Personally , I love to see Ford and GM compete, it keeps the power wars going and keeps Ford on there toes. Truth be known , without the Camaro , today's mustang would not be as awesome and never, ever have the power it has.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
I feel the same way 100%. Chevy and Dodge bringing back the pony cars was the best thing to ever happen to the mustang. I have a feeling it will only get better.

Though the thought of the current base mustang with the v6 having over 300hp, a 6spd and posi rearend makes me depressed when I look at my 03 v6 lol. Eh that's alright, the stock 2v guys are even more depressed knowing the 2011+ v6's will give them a damn good run
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Krazy Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 178
++1
Krazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:27 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.