Manual vs Automatic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Manual vs Automatic

I hearing automatic gets the same MPG as manuals now, but even so are they lighter or still heavy as usual??
If so they can never be used in a real racing, thus why NASCAR have manual transmissions. To my understanding manual always lighter and don't overheat in extreme racing. Yet Ford has made one of the strongest 3 speed automatic known as C6 and it made so well it can be used for sport racing but that's it.
Yet I have come to realize the automatic transmissions are becoming more common in Mustangs in the dealerships and such, but there always a few. But it's kinda rare to find a V6 or regular GT with manual these days.

If I had to choose I would rather start with a manual I have yet to drive a manual and it something I always wanted to do. Not only that you safer from most car thefts.
Overall I say the manual still wins today, even that the sales win to the automatic.
Fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
after having mustangs with both i could care less what trans is in it. nothing special tracking either of them to me. both do a great job and keep me going hard.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I personally would only drive a manual mustang. You actually have control over the car. If I was you I'd get the manual
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
After owning my first manual car I can never go back to an automatic, it's just too fun. And I like the extra control you get with it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
After owning my first manual car I can never go back to an automatic, it's just too fun. And I like the extra control you get with it.
+1,000! It's a million times more fun and better.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonhess View Post
+1,000! It's a million times more fun and better.
lol that's simply an opinion remember not fact if you're more of a track guy you'd most likely enjoy an auto more if you're there for consistent times in the end it's all personal preference. having "control" over the car can be done with both easily...

Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm only going to be looking at 13 'GT's with manual transmissions even though I barely have any experience driving them (I'm gonna have a friend test drive to save some embarrassment). I'm confident that I will learn quick! I mean, I've seen all Fast and the Furious movies, played some Gran Turismo 5, and I'm always watching the SPEED channel and Top Gear (British and American). I should be a natural right?
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
The 11+ auto GT's are faster and more consistent in drag racing.. Not the case in the older cars.. 05 and up have hydraulic clutches which are much more user friendly.. I bought an older automatic Mustang this time due to the amount of time I spent in traffic(stop/go), having owned the same year car with a 5 spd and driven in the same traffic, boo on that.. Really comes down to personal preferences and what you plan on doing with the car.. I've already looked into swapping to a manual now that I don't drive as far or often..
Just look at all the options and what you plan on using it for(now and future) and make an informed decision.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
The 11+ auto GT's are faster and more consistent in drag racing.. Not the case in the older cars.. 05 and up have hydraulic clutches which are much more user friendly.. I bought an older automatic Mustang this time due to the amount of time I spent in traffic(stop/go), having owned the same year car with a 5 spd and driven in the same traffic, boo on that.. Really comes down to personal preferences and what you plan on doing with the car.. I've already looked into swapping to a manual now that I don't drive as far or often..
Just look at all the options and what you plan on using it for(now and future) and make an informed decision.
+ 1
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

In todays technology auto can be better for racing if its built right.
Termi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I think it basically comes down to if you want to shift gears or not. I love having a stick and got pretty bored with my Aviator that was an auto, but there are plenty of times an auto would be lore convenient or wish I had one at some point for a situation. I still would always get a manual in a Mustang, they are just too fun to dump the clutch and bang the gears in.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
lol that's simply an opinion remember not fact if you're more of a track guy you'd most likely enjoy an auto more if you're there for consistent times in the end it's all personal preference. having "control" over the car can be done with both easily...
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Clutches are on there way out look at the new camaro it has paddle shifting , same with high end cars like Ferrari's etc.... the thing is what people don't get is you can still shift with a auto yeah it has gears and around town it is much more convenient to drive especially if you have a coffee going ha , plus it is very hard to shift as fast as a auto can , but to each his own.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
Clutches are on there way out look at the new camaro it has paddle shifting , same with high end cars like Ferrari's etc.... the thing is what people don't get is you can still shift with a auto yeah it has gears and around town it is much more convenient to drive especially if you have a coffee going ha , plus it is very hard to shift as fast as a auto can , but to each his own.
Nothing like dumping a clutch pedal at 6k though

HID end all thread
Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
Nothing like dumping a clutch pedal at 6k though
+1

I miss a manual....eventually will be doing the 3rd pedal mod lmao

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
our '10 MKS has the paddle shifter/auto combo...man that 3.7L is so much fun with that paddle shifter setup but it's nice to cruise in auto when just out for stop and go kinda things.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I guess I love manual so much because im young and have the patience and energy to drive a manual in stop and go traffic

HID end all thread
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Im an auto guy. Dont like manual trans in traffic.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
I guess I love manual so much because im young and have the patience and energy to drive a manual in stop and go traffic
This is helpful to know. I actually wanted one this time around, but I got such a good deal on this car, I couldn't pass it up. I'd imagine what you sit in is pretty close to what we deal with in ATL. My parents always had manuals in their cars, so they talked me out of it
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
Im an auto guy. Dont like manual trans in traffic.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

An auto definitely can't offer the same control as a standard. I test drove a Buick Regal Turbo with the semi auto, and it would not let me go under 1500 rpms in gear. And it has more torque than my six. Yet my six easily pulls under 1500 rpms-not like drag racing, but the low end power is more than enough for the city.

And on daily driving, mpg will be better with a standard if you want it to be- for the same reason. When I test drove the 6 auto, the shift points made no sense. But its made for the average Joe, not someone like me who wants either full power, then right to mpg lol. When I go to work every morning, I either roll into second and fly to 59 mph, or start in first, spin the tires in second, then continue on in sixth. (its a 55mph zone)

But thats one person. The standard lets me do whatever I want, as goofy as it is.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

My granddads 1994 ranger is goofy with clutch it will not let you shift too early.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy
My granddads 1994 ranger is goofy with clutch it will not let you shift too early.
Thats unfortunate. I couldn't handle that. Such as in rush hour, I need to be able to shift low.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

But get this the ranger is 4 cyl and has almost 500k miles!!! It's what i love about Ford.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

I just recall the store I work at sells type F tranny fluid! Comes in handy for old Fords.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion