The daily's "daily" driver - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The daily's "daily" driver

I just landed a new job at AM and my commute to work now turns into a 100 mile round trip (totally worth it IMO). My current daily is a 2011 WRX with 11,500 miles on it. I don't think I can bring myself to put 26,000 miles on it per year just driving to work. But, I have the opportunity to buy my sister-in-law's 2001 Corolla for $1,600 which is pretty good considering there is about 80k on the motor and 170k on the body. It does need a clutch soon though (no biggie, I replaced the last clutch that was put in it). It's great on gas and would only cost me an extra $200/year to insure. My question is: do you think it is a good idea to pick this up and let my WRX and my Mustang both sit? The Subie is good in the snow as well as practical and reliable. My wifey doesn't want to get rid of the Subie and its not like I would never drive it (probably once a week to work). What are your thoughts??
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post
I just landed a new job at AM and my commute to work now turns into a 100 mile round trip (totally worth it IMO). My current daily is a 2011 WRX with 11,500 miles on it. I don't think I can bring myself to put 26,000 miles on it per year just driving to work. But, I have the opportunity to buy my sister-in-law's 2001 Corolla for $1,600 which is pretty good considering there is about 80k on the motor and 170k on the body. It does need a clutch soon though (no biggie, I replaced the last clutch that was put in it). It's great on gas and would only cost me an extra $200/year to insure. My question is: do you think it is a good idea to pick this up and let my WRX and my Mustang both sit? The Subie is good in the snow as well as practical and reliable. My wifey doesn't want to get rid of the Subie and its not like I would never drive it (probably once a week to work). What are your thoughts??
I'm all for the cheap daily drivers, man. I drove a 1982 Ford Fairmont Futura to and from Dell, when I worked there. I paid $500 for it, and never had to replace anything. It served me well, and I had my Vette for the weekends. =)

I won't tell you how to spend your money, but I'd do that deal.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Think about this, you are driving it 100 miles per day. Do you want a beater or some car you would like to actually drive? I personally would stick with the WRX.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Tough choice man, I don't know what I'd do either. I'd probably stick to the WRX just because it'd be a lot more fun to drive everyday, but 26k miles a year is a ton to put on a car even if it is just highway miles. Everyone at my work always says I need to get a beater to drive everyday instead of my GT, but I enjoy driving it too much to drive some POS around everyday to keep miles down.

You could always buy the Corolla and drive it for a few months and see what you think driving it everyday and sell it if you can't stand it. That'd probably be the best way to do it especially considering you can probably get your $1600 back a year from now if you want to sell the Corolla.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I wouldn't let a $1600 car cost me my job. Dependable transportation is a must.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the input fellas. I know the car runs well and is dependable. My sister in law had it for like 8 years and the only time it left her sit is when the clutch went out completely (shreds of clutch material in the bell housing). I don't think I can pass it up for $1,600. If I drive my WRX that much every year, the value will be going down the toilet. Not to mention I will be saving a lot of money in fuel. I can get at best so far 25 mpg in the WRX whereas I could get 32-35 mpg in the corolla (the drive is ALL highway). Plus the Corollas around my area are selling for twice that so I could probably get my money back in a few years. If I do regular maintenance on it, it should be good to me.
And I will definitely have to drive the stang to AM at least once a week. It would be a sin if I didn't, right?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I love driving my GT too much to drive anything else. I'd be taking that baby everyday! It'd kill you on gas compared to a Carrolla but hey I love my stang. And yes it would be a sin not to drive yours to AM every once in awhile.
StangReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangReaper View Post
I love driving my GT too much to drive anything else. I'd be taking that baby everyday! It'd kill you on gas compared to a Carrolla but hey I love my stang. And yes it would be a sin not to drive yours to AM every once in awhile.
Yeah I will easily go through a half tank a day in my stang driving to AM. The 4.10s won't do me good on a highway trip.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post

Yeah I will easily go through a half tank a day in my stang driving to AM. The 4.10s won't do me good on a highway trip.
Definitely not a good commuter. Lol. 4.10s are fantastic tho. Definately not fuel efficient
StangReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm a fan of beaters to! I had a 78 impala I drove daily and let my lightning sit for weekend use. The good thing is the corolla will get great gas mileage, won't cost much to insure, will be reliable, and you won't be putting all the miles on your others. Driving the stang to work at least weekly is a must if your going to work at AM! And by the way, congrats on the job!
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
I'm a fan of beaters to! I had a 78 impala I drove daily and let my lightning sit for weekend use. The good thing is the corolla will get great gas mileage, won't cost much to insure, will be reliable, and you won't be putting all the miles on your others. Driving the stang to work at least weekly is a must if your going to work at AM! And by the way, congrats on the job!
Thanks. I am really excited to work there. I actually picked up the Corolla yesterday. Bought it for $1,500. I'm sure I will get my monies worth out of it.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm sure you will!
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion