negotiating tips - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
negotiating tips

Thinking of getting my 2013 premium gt today. Super excited! Anyone have any tips for me
gtlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
What options?

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCopp View Post
What options?
Do you mean by packages and what it comes with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, I know what all the packages have. Just wanna know what you're spending vs what you're getting out of the car via options.

2013 GT/CS
Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes!

1.) try google "car buying negotiating tips"

Aside from that I recommend the following

1.) Get financing before you go even if you end up using dealership financing you have it as a card up your sleeve
2.) negotiate ONE thing at a time, ie if you have a trade in dont mention it until you settle on a car price, dont mention, financing, or anything else.
3.) Negotiate from the real price the dealer pays for the car UP, not from MSRP down
4.) See how long the car has been on the lot, use that to your advantage, the longer its on the lot the better
5.) Ask for HOLDBACK, basically what the manufacture pays the dealer as a comission for selling the car, try for half
6.) Dont tell them a payment that your looking for, but rather us a price
7.) bring a financing calculator to run the numbers when you get there, there are some cheap $20 ones that you can get online and learn how to input the functions in like 5 minutes, do this to make sure your car price stays where you want it.
8.) Dont get any of the add on's they try and sell to you in the financing office such as clear coat, rust protection, gap insurance, ....etc... exception MAY be the extended warranty, I personally have never gotten one. I have use that as a point of negotiating as well.
9.) Dont tell them how much you are putting down, again focus on the price of the car first, then financing if needed on interest rate.
10.) if they have deals on rebate or 0% finanancing crunch the numbers in your calculator to see which is better, (generally it the 3k down or whatever they have is better for you, especially if you have financing.) Check the numbers though.
11.) Join a credit union to get finanincing there
12.) read consumer reports, know what the car is worth, both the one you want and the trade it.
13.) if you have a trade in consider the the private seller value you can get vs what the dealer will give you (generally private sells are better) however, you do lower the taxes on any trade in which could lower your overall TTL cost.
14.) Never pay a doc writeup fee (its like $300 bucks) the finance guy may give you some crap about thats how he gets paid, (which is BS he gets paycheck).
15.) if at any time you feel your getting F*%& you MUST WALK AWAY!
16.) the power of the walk away save my sister 1500, and her friend 3k on her trade in.
17.) check KBB for the value of you car, keep in mind mods and upgrades on trade-ins typically dont get there full value with dealers (lucky if you can get 50% of any mods you have) the dealer will use this when they sell the car.
18.) take someone with you when you buy the car, two minds are better than one and they can talk you into circles. Car dealers sell cars for a living, they know what they are doing, having an extra pair of ears and brain can bring clarity to the conversation.
19.) Get the car you want, find the car online and then go in and tell them this is what I want, do not let them talk you into a new model, new package feature, etc... they want to get cars off there lot. If there is a car at another dealership (mine was in OK, i live in TX) tell them to do a trade. They MAY push on this, but just be firm.
20.) RESEARCH, FINANCE, BE FIRM, but not an A$$Hole, DONT BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY!

Hope this helps.
Tytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks bro!!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, lastly, after all is said and done, enjoy yourself.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I can't top that, but it is spot on, haha.

2013 GT/CS
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus View Post
Yes!

1.) Get financing before you go even if you end up using dealership financing you have it as a card up your sleeve
2.) negotiate ONE thing at a time, ie if you have a trade in dont mention it until you settle on a car price, dont mention, financing, or anything else.
3.) Negotiate from the real price the dealer pays for the car UP, not from MSRP down
4.) See how long the car has been on the lot, use that to your advantage, the longer its on the lot the better
5.) Ask for HOLDBACK, basically what the manufacture pays the dealer as a comission for selling the car, try for half
7.) bring a financing calculator to run the numbers when you get there, there are some cheap $20 ones that you can get online and learn how to input the functions in like 5 minutes, do this to make sure your car price stays where you want it.
8.) Dont get any of the add on's they try and sell to you in the financing office such as clear coat, rust protection, gap insurance, ....etc... exception MAY be the extended warranty, I personally have never gotten one. I have use that as a point of negotiating as well.
9.) Dont tell them how much you are putting down, again focus on the price of the car first, then financing if needed on interest rate.
10.) if they have deals on rebate or 0% finanancing crunch the numbers in your calculator to see which is better, (generally it the 3k down or whatever they have is better for you, especially if you have financing.) Check the numbers though.
12.) read consumer reports, know what the car is worth, both the one you want and the trade it.
13.) if you have a trade in consider the the private seller value you can get vs what the dealer will give you (generally private sells are better) however, you do lower the taxes on any trade in which could lower your overall TTL cost.
14.) Never pay a doc writeup fee (its like $300 bucks) the finance guy may give you some crap about thats how he gets paid, (which is BS he gets paycheck).
16.) the power of the walk away save my sister 1500, and her friend 3k on her trade in.
17.) check KBB for the value of you car, keep in mind mods and upgrades on trade-ins typically dont get there full value with dealers (lucky if you can get 50% of any mods you have) the dealer will use this when they sell the car.
18.) take someone with you when you buy the car, two minds are better than one and they can talk you into circles. Car dealers sell cars for a living, they know what they are doing, having an extra pair of ears and brain can bring clarity to the conversation.
19.) Get the car you want, find the car online and then go in and tell them this is what I want, do not let them talk you into a new model, new package feature, etc... they want to get cars off there lot. If there is a car at another dealership (mine was in OK, i live in TX) tell them to do a trade. They MAY push on this, but just be firm.
20.) RESEARCH, FINANCE, BE FIRM, but not an A$$Hole, DONT BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY!

Hope this helps.
+1
Took me a year to find me a good one. I walked away so much even if i loved the car after i test drove. But have a price you will stick to and dont tell him it and offer lower than you know you'll get it for and wait for a closer counter offer.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Don't go in to the dealer super excited and bummed at a high price, they can sense the want out of you. If you don't seem interested they will lower the price a little. Sales men are paid on commission so they want that car sold as much as you want to buy the car.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Also research on the car you want to buy, they will lie to you just to sell. Before i bought my stang i was looking at an evo and the dealer told me evos arent made anymore and theyre very rare and that theyre shipped to and from Japan to be tuned. And i asked why if they dont even use the same tunes as us and i explained to him that my gf has a evo and i do her routine maitanwnce and all that and know a good bit about him then he dropped the price of the 06 from $32000 to $18k. They just got it in and didnt price it yet so he figured he'd try to screw me and when i started informing him of the car he's selling he got all butthurt lol. Needless to say i didnt purchase it
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Also research on the car you want to buy, they will lie to you just to sell. Before i bought my stang i was looking at an evo and the dealer told me evos arent made anymore and theyre very rare and that theyre shipped to and from Japan to be tuned. And i asked why if they dont even use the same tunes as us and i explained to him that my gf has a evo and i do her routine maitanwnce and all that and know a good bit about him then he dropped the price of the 06 from $32000 to $18k. They just got it in and didnt price it yet so he figured he'd try to screw me and when i started informing him of the car he's selling he got all butthurt lol. Needless to say i didnt purchase it
Used evos scare me. I've heard to many horror stories of the stock tune being messed with and the car never running correctly again. How true I am not sure, other than a few people I know that have evos and tuned them were not very happy and couldn't seem to get the original tune back.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes!

Hope this helps.
These are great tips..the only think I don't agree with is the gap insurance! I would look into it if I were u b/c my 2012 mustang was totaled 9 months into having it & the insurance only pays what the car is currently worth & ur left with the remainder of the balance of what u still owe! Just something to think about! Good luck!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Fair point. I am assuming your putting some down on the car or have a trade in. That's another rule, typically put at least 10% down and NEVER finance longer than 60 months. 48 if you can bear the payment. With money down gap insurance is not needed as you build equity in the car.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

These are great tips..the only think I don't agree with is the gap insurance! I would look into it if I were u b/c my 2012 mustang was totaled 9 months into having it & the insurance only pays what the car is currently worth & ur left with the remainder of the balance of what u still owe! Just something to think about! Good luck!
I agree 100%. Unless you are putting some serious money down, i would get the GAP insurance as well. Especially the way American cars depreciate in value.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Always ask for the Vehicle Invoice. This tells you all the numbers you need. It also tell you how long the vehicle has been at the dealership. Dealers have 30 days and then they have to pay their manufacturers. If they don’t sell it, then they have to floor plan it. That costs them about $100 a month. The longer it is on the lot, the more it costs them.

You can go online and build your own car, to give you an idea of what it will cost. One thing that really works, if they have a car in inventory but are crying they can’t sell you that one, tell them to order you a new one and keep the other one. Also if you in an area where there are a couple of ford dealers, tell the one that your at, you can always go order one elsewhere.

You can also check on-line for extended vehicle warranties. Everything the salesman sells you he gets part of.

Don't buy any extra items from the dealer. Paint Sealant, Tinted windows, stripe packaging or alarm systems. These are mark-up items and are way overpriced. The dealer wanted $349 for tinted windows. Since I checked before I went to the dealer, I could have gotten them for $159. So I told the dealer to take off the tinting. I checked and found out that the tinting they put on was illegal in Arizona. So I told the dealer take off the tinting and I took a copy of Arizona’s Tinted Window Law, because I wasn't going to get a ticket while on vacation. They did, very hesitantly.

Lastly, don’t buy the first day. Come back the next day to close the deal.

Items that the dealers now are putting on are Fuel Tax and Dealer Advertising. You might either get this waived or get it reduced. Tell them, you haven’t seen any commercials for Mustangs in your area, so why should you pay for the dealer’s advertising? If they want to call your bluff, ask them on what local channels and times the commercials can be seen.

Lastly, here is a site that has a lot of useful terms and strategies. There is also a spreadsheet you can down load and fill in the blanks. You can even make the salesman help you fill out all the slots.

Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com

GOOD LUCK!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sorry but you can download several spreadsheets to help you, just type in car spreadsheets in the Search Function.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes!

Hope this helps.
Those are some good tips, i can't wait to get my 5.0 and I'm sure ill need that help
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The best thing I've found is knowing what you want to spend, what you need for trade-in and be willing to politely thank them for their time and walk out - if it's a reasonable deal, they'll stop you. It's worked for me every time.

Yeah - and give them a much higher number than what you really owe on the trade-in. That's helped a couple of times (it was done accidentally the first time, but I tried it again and it seemed to help).
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
pay invoice or better~ thats mostly it (find invoicing from online and also invoice price on options is not the same as the window sticker prices~)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Come with pre approved financing.... That has made a world of difference in every car we have purchased recently....
Brandon280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Moved to general discussion

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion