Neutral or Downshift? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ford302ize's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 89
Neutral or Downshift?

I have driven manuals for about 5 years and I have always downshifted when coming to a stop light. However, I have heard that it is better for your clutch to just put it in neutral and use the brakes. I just bought the car yesterday and want know which should I do, the car is now my daily driver.
ford302ize is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
PonyBoyV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago Area
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,079
I've got an 02 GT and i recently started driving stick. I pop it into neutral. I do downshift on occasion like 40% of the time. But if i'm in 3rd i'll just pop it into neutral and coast/ brake. I do get the feeling that downshifting is harder on the clutch. And they say the only reason to downshift is to save the brakes. But i'd rather replace brakes over a clutch, personally. Again, i am no expert. Maybe someone else will chime in as i've always wondered this same question myself.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 135
I always pop it in neutral and always have on all my stick shift cars and never had any problems or premature break wear
kornflake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,419
Brakes are much cheaper than clutches.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Brakes are much cheaper than clutches.
+1 but what I do is push the clutch in and just kinda "downshift" as I slow down so incase I have to takeoff for some reason I am ready to go and don't have to push the clutch in/put it in gear.

Guess it depends on the person, I almost always sit with the clutch in at red lights. Unless I know it is a long one that I just arrived it. There is a 5 min light at my exit off the highway to work. If I just get caught by it I'll take my foot off the clutch with it in neutral.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,419
The less that you touch the clutch pedal the better...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Maybe its just me but I have always downshifted. I break and downshift simultaneously. Plus the sound, ummmmm that sound
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entotalenigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Drum, NY
Region: New York
Posts: 20
I use brakes unless its raining or snowing then I let the gears naturally slow the car down. As stated before I rather change brakes than a clutch.
Entotalenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
Maybe its just me but I have always downshifted. I break and downshift simultaneously. Plus the sound, ummmmm that sound
I do it sometimes. Just asking for a new clutch doing it all the time.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I do it sometimes. Just asking for a new clutch doing it all the time.
I had over 100k on my new edge before I needed a clutch and I drove it the same way.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
I let my transmission decide whether to downshift or not ; )
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I let my transmission decide whether to downshift or not ; )
Lol these auto guys, Pssh
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

Lol these auto guys, Pssh
Probably owns an iPhone
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Probably owns an iPhone
You mean Mikey right? ain't no Apples in my diet
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

You mean Mikey right? ain't no Apples in my diet
Haha yup.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
I do have an iPhone. Do you guys have flip phones or bricks? : )
Attached Images
   
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Android FTW
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I do have an iPhone. Do you guys have flip phones or bricks? : )
I have the phone that killed the iPhone, ya know, The samsung Galaxy series. A Note II to be exact.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
If i just need to slow down but not come to a stop then i'll push the clutch in and start braking, then when i can start accelerating again i pick which gear i should be in then blip the throttle, not really downshifting though. When coming to a stop light, i just pop it into neutral and brake to the stop, then put it back into 1st. No point in downshifting through the gears if your going to go to a stop. Plus brakes are much cheaper to replace than clutches.

The more you are in neutral the more you will save gas also. I'll cruise up to a light for 400 feet with the engine just idling because the clutch is in. I never downshift to slow the car as a substitute for braking.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
I had an android before the iPhone, I enjoyed it much more. I get a food discount thru apple from my employer though.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I have the phone that killed the iPhone, ya know, The samsung Galaxy series. A Note II to be exact.
Yeah, that's exactly what I would want actually. Great phone!
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I had an android before the iPhone, I enjoyed it much more. I get a food discount thru apple from my employer though.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------



Yeah, that's exactly what I would want actually. Great phone!
I feel so bad for you haha. I picked up my dads phone the other day, is a 4S I got him a few months ago because technology confuses him....and I was like how do you use the keyboard on this thing? The letters are like 1/5 the size of the ones on my GNII.

The GNII is very nice. It seemed like a gigantic phone until I had it about a week. Now it feels normal, even though everyone thinks it is gigantic still. Is a great dirty convo starter with girls. "Oh my god that thing is huge!" I hear that at least a few times a week. haha.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I feel so bad for you haha. I picked up my dads phone the other day, is a 4S I got him a few months ago because technology confuses him....and I was like how do you use the keyboard on this thing? The letters are like 1/5 the size of the ones on my GNII.

The GNII is very nice. It seemed like a gigantic phone until I had it about a week. Now it feels normal, even though everyone thinks it is gigantic still. Is a great dirty convo starter with girls. "Oh my god that thing is huge!" I hear that at least a few times a week. haha.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Billymich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 861
I always downshift and brake to slow down. Thought it seemed a lot easier on my rev happy subie than my fox

my engine braking never gets above 2k rpm
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Moved to general car discussion
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sully08GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Delaware
Region: Delaware
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
Maybe its just me but I have always downshifted. I break and downshift simultaneously. Plus the sound, ummmmm that sound
+1
__________________
Current Mods: Bama 93 Race Tune, Borla Stingers Axle-Back, Prochamber O/R mid pipe, JLT Series 3 CAI, Koni STR.T Shocks and Struts & Steeda Ultralites
Sully08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
86 muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 264
Down shift just for the sound! But it all depends on the situation!
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Y'all go ahead and downshift and engine brake the crap out of your car, i'd like to have my clutch and TOB last longer.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Billymich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Y'all go ahead and downshift and engine brake the crap out of your car, i'd like to have my clutch and TOB last longer.
Sure but I bet you rev you engine higher, so less rebuilds for me?
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post

Sure but I bet you rev you engine higher, so less rebuilds for me?
I shift at 2.-2.5k usually cruise with it just under 2k
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangchassy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If i just need to slow down but not come to a stop then i'll push the clutch in and start braking, then when i can start accelerating again i pick which gear i should be in then blip the throttle, not really downshifting though. When coming to a stop light, i just pop it into neutral and brake to the stop, then put it back into 1st. No point in downshifting through the gears if your going to go to a stop. Plus brakes are much cheaper to replace than clutches.

The more you are in neutral the more you will save gas also. I'll cruise up to a light for 400 feet with the engine just idling because the clutch is in. I never downshift to slow the car as a substitute for braking.
+1

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I have the phone that killed the iPhone, ya know, The samsung Galaxy series. A Note II to be exact.
Haha I have the S4. Galaxy is waaay better than rotten apples!
__________________
2013 GT Premium: 15% Tint/Roush Axleback/Gloss Black 5.0 Badges/2007 GT Premium (SOLD)
mustangchassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
FORDuhl6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 654
Then there is the argument that downshifting and using the transmission to slow you will increase brake wear/life.
FORDuhl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
9tee7pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Radford
Region: Virginia
Posts: 673
Clutches are definitely more expensive than brakes, mine is in the shop now getting a new clutch, the pressure plate and throw out bearing were about to puke their guts out. It's costing me $750 to get it done. The only time that I would downshift is coming off the highway or when I wanted to make some more noise, so only occasionally. I would say downshift if your brakes are bad and brake if the clutch isn't happy. Also I never clutch to take it out of 5th, it just falls out if I push it.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mlarv5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kent Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 884
I have always downshift first then maybe hit the brakes if needed. I always had standards in my F150's until the last two and had over 200K mile on them when I traded them out. I had to replace one clutch after 180K but the brakes where replaced 2 or three times. In my car I allow it to slow down then shift down allow it to slow down and then brake. I am old school and was taught that way a long time ago when I learned to drive.
__________________
1968 Coupe <53000 miles on her 289 came off the line Jan 21st 1968. I bought it in 1983

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
I have always downshift first then maybe hit the brakes if needed. I always had standards in my F150's until the last two and had over 200K mile on them when I traded them out. I had to replace one clutch after 180K but the brakes where replaced 2 or three times. In my car I allow it to slow down then shift down allow it to slow down and then brake. I am old school and was taught that way a long time ago when I learned to drive.
+1
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
xxPIKExx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
Maybe its just me but I have always downshifted. I break and downshift simultaneously. Plus the sound, ummmmm that sound
Agreed. I have always done the same. I have never really had what I would consider to be premature brake or clutch issues either.
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:58 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.