High Mileage, Newer model vs Low mileage older - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: New Jersey
High Mileage, Newer model vs Low mileage older

I'm shopping for a used Ford pick-up truck as a second vehicle to my Pony car. I need to tow boats, small trailers, use the truck for hunting and other utility purposes. My budget for this vehicle is $6,500 cash, max.

I'm leaning towards the F-250 series, as I may occasionally need to tow a 26' walk around boat on a tri-axle trailer. A bit too much for an F-150.

So here's the question - I'm finding newer model F-250's (2002-2004) in this price range but with high mileage (150k+). For the same price I can find older F-250's (1995-1999) with less mileage. I am leaning towards newer model year with high mileage, because my thinking is that the newer generation trucks will be more reliable, less rust and will last longer. Additionally, every vehicle that I've owned, I've put a lot of miles on them. It seems as though regular driving with proper scheduled maintenance makes the motor last longer. I fear a 1997 F-250 with 60,000 miles has done a lot of sitting. I'd rather have motor that's been driven every week. It keeps the sludge from building up, keeps the parts lubricated.

What are your thoughts?

Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Massachusetts
I would say newer the better. If you take very good care of the truck you will get plenty of time out of it. Make sure your not rowing to much weight you can really screw it up that way.
Don't hate....... appreciate
Adogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion