DD suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
DD suggestions

Soooo I've been thinking and i need a better daily driver. I love my 02 gt but i need to preserve the low miles a little better and something a little better on gas.
Any suggestions? I still want fairly fast though for a decent price range. (As in not near the 10k range)
Im considering an srt4, gsx/gst, 240sx (sr swap), maybe wrx or cobalt ss sc
I love all fast cars. Mainly looking for turbo 4cyl's so i can stay out of boost for mpg's and not have to worry about garaging it and worry about it getting scratched or dirty.
Thanks guys.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'm always a big fan of the little hot hatches, the first ones to come to mind are the GTi and the Focus ST/SVT
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I love my WRX. Has everything you want plus AWD. I would do some research and see what kinds of problems occur once theses cars get up there in mileage.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ever had any problems with the wrx?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Ever had any problems with the wrx?
Well it is too new to give you a good review on mechanical issues. 2011 with 15k miles so far no issues. Except for a chirpy throw out bearing which I will be visiting the dealer about.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'd love a 2.0t rspec genesis for a daily driver but i dont want to spend much for a dd
Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I definitely need a dd! I drove mustang week and figured i was getting good mpg so i calculated the trip down and only got 14.9 mixture of city and highway. And i need to stop racking up so many miles and preserve the low mileage.
I really want something decent on gas the better or at least the same while still being in the 300+ range. I might get a 350z hr. idc about manufacturer i just like nice fast cars the fiancé wants me getting an evo like her lol. Any other opinions?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I definitely need a dd! I drove mustang week and figured i was getting good mpg so i calculated the trip down and only got 14.9 mixture of city and highway. And i need to stop racking up so many miles and preserve the low mileage.
I really want something decent on gas the better or at least the same while still being in the 300+ range. I might get a 350z hr. idc about manufacturer i just like nice fast cars the fiancé wants me getting an evo like her lol. Any other opinions?
All depends on your budget too. I'm in the PA so having AWD is nice. When I was looking, I was considering an EVO, WRX, and a BMW 335.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
What combination of city/highway driving do you do? What is your budget? That could really help us narrow down a nice DD for you.

My thoughts on the cars you listed.

A 350Z would be a terrible choice. They might get 1 or 2 MPG better than your mustang. Also, they are rather expensive for what they are. Average price in my area for a decent 2003 - 2005 model is $11,000+ with lower mileage (80,000 or less), good shape with service records. Which to me is a bit ridiculous for one of these cars.

I can already tell you that you don't want an EVO if you want to conserve fuel. My ex had an EVO MR and got roughly 18MPG with 30 % city/ 70 % highway.

An unmolested WRX would be a good place to start as they have AWD and are unstoppable in bad weather with good tires. They are rock solid as long you aren't banging gears constantly and leave them stock. I know several people that have these for a fun DD and they average about 20 city / 25 highway.

A GSX/GST would be a hard find for a decent one. Most of those have been beat on and molested to the point that they would likely need repairs/serviced.

The SRT4 is a great car for a DD. They are fun, fast, reliable and cheap to mod. They get about 20 - 22 mpg average depending on how much you can keep your foot out of it.

A 240SX with an SR swap unless it is done correctly will be more hassle than it's worth. Also, the drift-tards seem to think these cars with an SR or KA-turbo are worth more than a new vette. So, I would personally not consider one of these. Also, with either the SR or KA-turbo, they would likely easily walk your mustang unless you have FI.

The Cobalt SS Supercharged are fun cars, especially with a pulley and a tune. The interiors however are terrible in quality and quickly fall apart. Solid cars besides that.

Also, why are you so concerned about keeping your mustang with low miles? Are you going to be trading it in or selling it soon?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
What combination of city/highway driving do you do? What is your budget? That could really help us narrow down a nice DD for you.

A 350Z would be a terrible choice. They might get 1 or 2 MPG better than your mustang. Also, they are rather expensive for what they are. Average price in my area for a decent 2003 - 2005 model is $11,000+ with lower mileage (80,000 or less), good shape with service records. Which to me is a bit ridiculous for one of these cars.

I can already tell you that you don't want an EVO if you want to conserve fuel. My ex had an EVO MR and got roughly 18MPG with 30 % city/ 70 % highway.

An unmolested WRX would be a good place to start as they have AWD and are unstoppable in bad weather with good tires. They are rock solid as long you aren't banging gears constantly and leave them stock. I know several people that have these for a fun DD and they average about 20 city / 25 highway.

A GSX/GST would be a hard find for a decent one. Most of those have been beat on and molested to the point that they would likely need repairs/serviced.

The SRT4 is a great car for a DD. They are fun, fast, reliable and cheap to mod. They get about 20 - 22 mpg average depending on how much you can keep your foot out of it.

A 240SX with an SR swap unless it is done correctly will be more hassle than it's worth. Also, the drift-tards seem to think these cars with an SR or KA-turbo are worth more than a new vette. So, I would personally not consider one of these. Also, with either the SR or KA-turbo, they would likely easily walk your mustang unless you have FI.

The Cobalt SS Supercharged are fun cars, especially with a pulley and a tune. The interiors however are terrible in quality and quickly fall apart. Solid cars besides that.

Also, why are you so concerned about keeping your mustang with low miles? Are you going to be trading it in or selling it soon?
Thanks man. And just because i dont like that the value goes down faster lol and i dont like worrying about aholes who cant drive or park scratching up the good paint.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post

This is great info. I am seeing 27-28 mpg straight highway and 23-24 mpg mixed city/highway in my WRX. Plus it is a blast to drive and with snow tires it will go anywhere in the snow.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Lol about the SR swapped 240SX idiots wanting the weight of their cars in gold for them. Moron I work with just paid an arm and a leg for one, looks like a bucket of *** honestly.

I DD'd a Contour SVT for a few years back. VERY fun car to drive. There is a pretty good mod community for them too. Not super fast but got 28mpg with me not beating on it very much, they look pretty good, they handle GREAT and as long as you make sure you keep the oil topped off they are very reliable. Plus you also get to be in the SVT club and get the certificate to hang on your wall lol.

You can also pick up a nice 3L swapped SVTC for $4500 or so in great shape from an enthusiast if you look.

I actually still have mine... needs a few parts from sitting but it should fire right up when I get around to it.

Last pic was before I got my SVT center caps in the mail for where the Cougar logo used to be on the black swapped Cougar wheel.

Man I need to get this car going again...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

People think just because they swapped it someone else cant for 1/3 of the asking price they have and most have been abused drifting. My buddy used to buy them, fix em up, do swaps and sell for a profit. He had about 7 at one time, sold them all and bought a bad*** g35 pushing 650+rwhp

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion