Traded my Sixer in...for a Challenger... - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

Gorgeous Car!!!!! I love the way chryslers look abs drive. Just everything else that goes wrong. Nothing wrong with trading the stang my brother saw it everyday when he worked at the Chrysler dealer.

What dealer did you buy it from?
Ed Voyles - they might still have my modded V6!

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

Regarding stripes, I almost pulled the trigger on the R/T Classic with black side stripes, but it just didn't happen. I think they really wanted to move this one and made me a pretty good offer.

Maybe down the road...if I don't go back to a Stang.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's a nice car love the orange!!
LavaRedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #38
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post

Ed Voyles - they might still have my modded V6!

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

Regarding stripes, I almost pulled the trigger on the R/T Classic with black side stripes, but it just didn't happen. I think they really wanted to move this one and made me a pretty good offer.

Maybe down the road...if I don't go back to a Stang.
Stripes are cheap like $300-500

I bet you're right if only it wasn't silver and I could afford another stang. It would be funny to see someone here buy it.

EdVoyles is a great dealership!! My dad had great luck with them when they had an Oldsmobile franchise.
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
You could plasti dip the spoiler. I always like a matte black spoiler.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

bad *** car man you made a real good choice. from the v6 to the challenger. alot better car than the 3.7 mustang in every way
I like my modded 3.7 better than the RT challenger from a ride and way you feel the road more. The challenger is big and bulky and to me just didnt feel like a sports car feel. I felt the mustang has that perfect blend of being a pony car yet gives you a sports car feel. Feel the road more in the stang. Now, the challenger is a beautiful car, however I think Dodge and Chrysler products are poor quality and would not buy any of them because there always breaking and having constant transmission issues.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I like my modded 3.7 better than the RT challenger from a ride and way you feel the road more. The challenger is big and bulky and to me just didnt feel like a sports car feel. I felt the mustang has that perfect blend of being a pony car yet gives you a sports car feel. Feel the road more in the stang. Now, the challenger is a beautiful car, however I think Dodge and Chrysler products are poor quality and would not buy any of them because there always breaking and having constant transmission issues.
i was talking about the power from both. the challenger was a better choice in every way compared to his 3.7.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #42
Lord NoMoney
Staff

I think they look alright but I don't see me in one
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

bad *** car man you made a real good choice. from the v6 to the challenger. alot better car than the 3.7 mustang in every way
Your crazy! In every way? Yeah o.k. Go back to bed.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

i was talking about the power from both. the challenger was a better choice in every way compared to his 3.7.
Not even man. The v6 challenger handles horrible, weak power long gears and just a boat of a car. How dare you say that!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Couldn't agree more! But it does turn my head when I see one. As a show car dodge got all the styling cues right. BTW to the Op your car looks great!

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

Not even man. The v6 challenger handles horrible, weak power long gears and just a boat of a car. How dare you say that!
+100000 if your talking 6ers the challenger comes in waaaaay last out of the three! I'd still take one over a craparo though.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

did i say 1 thing about a v6 challenger. no i was talking about the v6 mustang that he traded for the challenger. my wife had one of the 3.7 mustangs. not impressed 1 bit
Old 07-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
did i say 1 thing about a v6 challenger. no i was talking about the v6 mustang that he traded for the challenger. my wife had one of the 3.7 mustangs. not impressed 1 bit
Sorry, a 5.7l engine that only produces 372 HP falls way short of what's available from other manufacturers at less displacement and you still have to lug that fat, overweight ill handling boat down the road! Not to mention its fantastic mpg. Where do we sign up. Lol :rolleyes again: In no way is this directed to the OP, it is a beautiful car that will accommodate a car seat easier than a stang.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

5.7 with only 372hp really? that would be like saying why by a v6 mustang
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
5.7 with only 372hp really? that would be like saying why by a v6 mustang
Ahhh quite the opposite, something with 2 more cylinders and 2 liters more displacement in 2013 should push out way more power than that! Ever herd of a 5.0 coyote at 420hp??? You can stop shooting yourself in the foot anytime now! Lol
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Ahhh quite the opposite, something with 2 more cylinders and 2 liters more displacement in 2013 should push out way more power than that! Ever herd of a 5.0 coyote at 420hp??? You can stop shooting yourself in the foot anytime now!
yea i have a 5.0 bud
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Sorry, a 5.7l engine that only produces 372 HP falls way short of what's available from other manufacturers at less displacement and you still have to lug that fat, overweight ill handling boat down the road! Not to mention its fantastic mpg. Where do we sign up. Lol :rolleyes again: In no way is this directed to the OP, it is a beautiful car that will accommodate a car seat easier than a stang.
My father has the same 5.7 in his 2013 Charger. I have never felt that it needs more power, could it have more, of course. The one thing that has gotten forgotten is that 370 hp is still a lot, and way more than anyone needs. A real car person is less concerned with the numbers and more concerned with how the car makes them feel everytime they drive it. Whatever performance car gives you the biggest smile is the one that you should buy.
And for the gas mileage my father's Charger gets 27mpg on the highway.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yea i have a 5.0 bud
Nice, than you can agree then? Not only do you have way more power you probably get better mpg. Sorry while hemis are proven engines they are behind in HP ratings. Bigger isn't always better! Its 2013 not 1972. Lol. I don't want to highjack the Op post anymore more than we have, we clearly agree to disagree. All good.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post

My father has the same 5.7 in his 2013 Charger. I have never felt that it needs more power, could it have more, of course. The one thing that has gotten forgotten is that 370 hp is still a lot, and way more than anyone needs. A real car person is less concerned with the numbers and more concerned with how the car makes them feel everytime they drive it. Whatever performance car gives you the biggest smile is the one that you should buy.
Couldn't agree more, what matters is if that person is happy! 370 is still a high number but lags behind the competition at that displacement.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post

300 HP is more than anyone needs also chief. Its not about needs. Its about wants and ones thirst for performance and speed. From a performance and acceleration stand point the 5.7 challenger really lacks. Its a great looking pony car that delivers a smooth and steady ride but doesn't drive like a sports like car. Its just too big and bulky. My modded 3.7 N/A is faster than the 5.7 challenger and will out handle it as well.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

The S197 Mustang is a gorgeous car with a lot of efficient power. I wish I could afford to own both

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

300 HP is more than anyone needs also chief.
Not for me
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

Not for me
I hear ya on that boss.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Nice Car OP, don't mind all the hardcore stang fans, this is after all a mustang forum. Personally, i think it's a very nice upgrade. Those cars sure as hell catch my eye whenever i see them. The jump in horsepower may not be that great, but the jump in torque is huge. Enjoy the car OP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-223333731.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	118614

In this case, OP vs Forumgoers. And OP ain't even mad.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Pics here -story to come.
Again, Congrats. Love the color choice. The car is a real looker. The pick with your baby will be a great nostalgic photo 15 years from now.

I knew this might turn into a "which car is better" thread. Lets not do that. Keep it happy for the OP. He has his reasons for the change in brand / vehicle. Respect that.

His earned $$$ and he can spend it however he wants to on whatever car he chooses to drive. He obviously loved the Mustang and the Challenger. I think it would be great to say I have owned both and maybe even the Camaro too all in the same decade.

OP. I am looking forward to a review of the Challenger in the next few weeks after the newness has become more familiar and you can give us all a persepective of "owner experience" of having both cars to drive for a few thousand miles.

Good luck with your new ride.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #59
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
The S197 Mustang is a gorgeous car with a lot of efficient power. I wish I could afford to own both
See my brother is a hardcore Chrysler guy for him there's no question it's either Chrysler Dodge, Jeep, or Ram. I've been in a lot of Chrysler products they're nice cars. You'll like the interior a lot.

At least you still drive a muscle car better than trading your stang on a KIA or a perhaps a Town and Country
Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
EXACTLY. Stay away from a minivan as long as you can lol!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post

Again, Congrats. Love the color choice. The car is a real looker. The pick with your baby will be a great nostalgic photo 15 years from now.

I knew this might turn into a "which car is better" thread. Lets not do that. Keep it happy for the OP. He has his reasons for the change in brand / vehicle. Respect that.

His earned $$$ and he can spend it however he wants to on whatever car he chooses to drive. He obviously loved the Mustang and the Challenger. I think it would be great to say I have owned both and maybe even the Camaro too all in the same decade.

OP. I am looking forward to a review of the Challenger in the next few weeks after the newness has become more familiar and you can give us all a persepective of "owner experience" of having both cars to drive for a few thousand miles.

Good luck with your new ride.
I totally agree. The which car is better thing is really open debate because the question is better for what? Based upon the op wanting easier access for the car seat, the challenger was better. I would think if someone was looking for a performance vehicle strictly then there would be better choices than the challenger. From a muscle car feel with amazing lines and head turning looks, the Challenger is definitely a great choice.

Unfortunately, because of the past and recent track record on reliability of Dodge, Chrysler this keeps a lot of consumers away. Dodge and Chrysler always get the lowest ratings for there vehicles and are notorious for transmission and engine issues. Many will not spend 36k on a vehicle that chances are will have major issues with less than 100k miles. If I had the money to have both pony cars, I so would
Old 07-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #62
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If you are a Challenger fan, get one soon, as I've read they will get phased out in the next 2 years to make way for the Barracuda thats planned. The Barracuda gets its own chassis, where the Challenger shares the same chassis as the Chrysler 300.

Challenger is a nice looking car. That little man sitting in and on the car looks happy too! Nice choice in wheels. I always was a fan of the chrome "Keystone Klassic" looking wheels; very retro. I have them on my current Mustang.

Your right about child car seats. It would be a pain to get one in and out of a current Mustang. The previous owner of the Mustang I own had two young children. He kept the car two months before trading it in on a Ford Explorer. I bought it with 2K on its odometer.

Enjoy the ride with the family. Stop by here often and let us know how the new ride is working out for you.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #63
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have heard about the release of the barracuda as well bucko. Has anyone seen the cuda body yet?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
I have heard about the release of the barracuda as well bucko. Has anyone seen the cuda body yet?
I talked to Ralph Gilles president of SRT for Chrysler in March at a cars and coffee meet in Carmel (Indianapolis) Indiana. Having been wanting to purchase a Challenger for a while, I asked him when the 'Cuda was going to be released. He said the 'Cuda project had been put on indefinite hold with the restructuring of Chrysler/Fiat and that the 'Cuda project would likely never see the light of day. He did say that in the next year or two (2015 - 2016 model year) that the Challenger would be receiving significant updates to make the chassis lighter and possibly smaller along with a new interior and drive train updates. He said a possible 2" - 3" reduction in wheelbase and a goal of 300 - 400 lbs lighter than the current Challenger with a stripped down SRT model being possibly 500 lbs lighter than the current car, which should put it around 3700 lbs.

He also said that they could change the name to Barracuda (not to be confused with the 'Cuda project) with the new/revised model at any point in time but that Chrysler was pretty sure they were sticking with the Challenger name.

Here is a pic of Ralph's brand new Viper.

I will also add that if you get a chance to talk to him, do it. He is 100% a car enthusiast and loves talking about cars, also he seems like a genuinely good guy.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Driving impressions after a week:

Heavy - there's no question she's not as nimble as my Mustang. I can only imagine how quick she would be if she had the same curb weight. Then again, I weigh her down too...

Comfortable - this hasn't changed. I took 3 adults out, and nobody complained about leg room. The dash is so wide, and you just feel like you're in an American car.

Powerful - you can feel the torque that the V6 Mustang just didn't have. It doesn't feel like that much more than the GT though which makes sense.

Transmission - love the manual. The shift points are so firm but smooth, and I am not even back in the saddle yet. It's hard to describe - she just takes the gear and isn't herky jerky.

Suspension - it's kinda floaty. You won't mistake the Challenger for a European car. Sharp turns? Not unless you just want to drift. It's pretty nice though if you're looking for a sedan ride with muscle car power and looks.

Looks - it is a head turner. I already got propositioned. My wife didn't think it was as funny.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion