What can i do to improve my acceleration? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
What can i do to improve my acceleration?

Well I have a 2002 V6 Mustang 3.8L. And it accelerates pretty sluggish of course (my brothers '02 cavalier 4cyl stock & my friends '96 Civic stock put a whopping on it. Absolutely crazy).

What can I put in it/ do to it to make this thing accelerate a lot quicker?

I've heard of supercharge and turbocharging it, but I don't really know a lot about this lol. I'm new to all of this.
skylaar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylaar10 View Post
Well I have a 2002 V6 Mustang 3.8L. And it accelerates pretty sluggish of course (my brothers '02 cavalier 4cyl stock & my friends '96 Civic stock put a whopping on it. Absolutely crazy).

I've heard of supercharge and turbocharging it, but I don't really know a lot about this lol. I'm new to all of this.
Last time you did a full tune up?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
you shouldn't need anything for what you're talking about. i'd say you have an issue (tune up) because something is wrong

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Supercharging/turbocharging is the highest moddification in terms of horsepower you can do to the car. It will cost a few thousand dollars. If you're getting eaten up by those cars, i'd say you either have bald tires. Or are in desperate need of a tune up. The V6's aren't that slow. Do a full tune up, and see what happens. Oil change, Spark plugs/wires. Change all the fluids. If it doesn't feel any better, try throwing some mods into it such as a Rear gear. 4.10's will definitely wake it up. It'll set you back maybe 700-900 with parts and labor. With those gears, you will need a tune. There is a handheld tuner offered all over the internet by SCT. It is incredibly simple to use, and it too, will drastically wake up the car. If you do gears/tune at the same time, you will no longer lose to honda civics or chevy cavs. I recommend a website called AMERICANMUSCLE.com, because honestly, they are incredibly knowledgable, they are fair on price, and they offer a wide variety of parts for all models and trim levels. If you buy the tuner threw americanmuscle they offer free tunes for life, which means if you add another mod, they'll send you a new tune to upload to your car, absolutely free.

HAPPY MODDING!
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm replacing the fuel filter and air filter sometime this month. I don't know what else to check though.

It might also have something to do with my gas pedal. I posted some photos of it on my thread about my gas pedal hanging low. It hangs really low to the ground, so once my foot hits it, it's hitting the carpet almost instantly.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i'm going to say you have a stretched throttle cable...stock there is a little slack which is why we told you about the pedal mod to take that up. but if you still have slack after the spacer was installed then i'd say that your cable is junk. as for the fuel and air filter thats a good start. i'd also swap the plugs for some nice motorcraft service plugs, and for the air filter grab up a spectre high flow drop in (i know Advance has them) for about $20-25 since i'm guessing you aren't buying a CAI (not that a CAI does anything really on our cars)..

Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

pm me if you have any questions

Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Bro, you don't want to waste your money on a super or turbo charger for your 02 v6. Sounds like you just need to have 6 new spark plugs installed and change the air filter. You will be good as new , chief. You don't want to dump a bunch of money on a vehicle like yours because respectfully, the older v6 models were just not designed to have any performance and good acceleration capabilities. Its too look sexy but nothing under the skirt and top, if you know what I mean
Sure, you could dump 10k into your car on mods, but why? Better off putting that money towards a 13 or 14 v6. Now your talking a totally different beast of V6. The 11 plus V6 models are no joke and can eat up stock 10 and under GT's all day long with a grand in mods.

Get the tune up bro and then you will kick your brothers caviler butt. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Bro, you don't want to waste your money on a super or turbo charger for your 02 v6. Sounds like you just need to have 6 new spark plugs installed and change the air filter. You will be good as new , chief. You don't want to dump a bunch of money on a vehicle like yours because respectfully, the older v6 models were just not designed to have any performance and good acceleration capabilities. Sure could dump 10k into your car but why? Better off putting that money towards a 13 or 14 v6. Now your talking a totally different beast of V6. The 11 plus V6 models are no joke and can eat up stock 10 and under GT's all day long with a grand in mods.

Get the tune up bro and then you will kick your brothers caviler butt. Lol
Tell David that who runs 12s in a N/A NE V6.. As soon as I get the girl a new car her cars getting a 4.2 with a windstar and HCI
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

when did David run a 12 second pass? last i saw it was a mid to high 13 second run and he was planning nitrous to hit 12s

Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

Tell David that who runs 12s in a N/A NE V6.. As soon as I get the girl a new car her cars getting a 4.2 with a windstar and HCI
No doubt boss. Anybody can make any car fast if you dump enough money into it. I have no idea what year Davids v6 is and how much money did David spend to get his older model V6 in the 12's. I would imagine a boat load of cash. Nothing wrong with the older v6 models , the OP mentioned supercharging or turbo charging and in my opinion its money spent that is not worth it for his 02 V6 which base doesn't have all that much power to begin with.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No doubt boss. Anybody can make any car fast if you dump enough money into it. I have no idea what year Davids v6 is and how much money did David spend to get his older model V6 in the 12's. I would imagine a boat load of cash. Nothing wrong with the older v6 models , the OP mentioned supercharging or turbo charging and in my opinion its money spent that is not worth it for his 02 V6 which base doesn't have all that much power to begin with.
well actually you can m112 a new edge for roughly 2500-3000 if you buy used...m112's are cheap usually found for under $500. so yeah for a boat load less then a 3.7 a 3.8/3.9 can run faster lol. local friends m112 '03 runs low 12's on 10 lbs . it's great you have an opinion, but trying to make anything think your opinion is fact when there's plenty of stuff to oppose said opinion isn't wise lol.

now i will say if you can find me a 2013 v6 for under 10k cash i'll say you win (and it must be running lol)

Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hahahaha. Thanks man. I think it actually had a tune up not to long ago though. It was my aunts car and she took the best care of it. It got a tune up every 6 months at the latest, at their Ford dealership. But, It was driven from Florida to here in VA, and it hasn't ever taken a long trip like that before. I'm thinking that trip could have really worn it out. It went 14 or more hours without stopping, only to get gas and use the restroom.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I'm thinking it's stretched too. I got my stepdad and some of my other friends that are mechanics, and they said it looks fine. Well, I drive it everyday, and I disagree lol. When I pull the throttle cable, the gas pedal goes to the position it looks like it's supposed to be in. Like, just a little lower than the break pedal.

So a stretched throttle cable might be it?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

well actually you can m112 a new edge for roughly 2500-3000 if you buy used...m112's are cheap usually found for under $500. so yeah for a boat load less then a 3.7 a 3.8/3.9 can run faster lol. local friends m112 '03 runs low 12's on 10 lbs . it's great you have an opinion, but trying to make anything think your opinion is fact when there's plenty of stuff to oppose said opinion isn't wise l

now i will say if you can find me a 2013 v6 for under 10k cash i'll say you win (and it must be running lol)
Not to sound dumb but what is a m112 03 new edge? And you got me on the under 10k for the 13 v6. Lol..
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i'd go by a local parts store and pick one up. not hard to install. worse case local stores won't have it and a dealer will, but you can still save money doing it yourself...and you're correct stock it should be just barely below the brake...thats why we do the spacer mod to even it out with the brake pedal

Old 07-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm assuming that it could also be my tires. They must be going bald, because any time it rains, the back right one skids. It'll skid through an entire turn and when I take off from a stoplight or even a parking lot. Lol. I just don't know how to tell if the tires are bad or not.

I only know the basics, but I've learned a lot on here haha.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

post pics of your rear tires...also look at the tread. you'll see wear indicators between the grooves...when the tires tread is even with the indicators you know it's time for new ones

Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Okay I'll post some either later tonight or some tomorrow morning.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking for, but here's the rear passenger side tire
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	1,008.9 KB
ID:	118981   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	1,012.4 KB
ID:	118982  

Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well, i think we've found the problem...
Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Well, i think we've found the problem...
The tires? Lol
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

That's probably a part of it. Those are lookin pretty bare, bud.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
That's probably a part of it. Those are lookin pretty bare, bud.

I didn't even notice!! I just did the penny trick, where you put the penny in the grooves and see if it covers the whole head of lincoln, only ONE of the tires (the rear drivers side tire) covered the head. The other 3 are pretty bare! I think that could be a big reason why it wasn't getting up to speed like it used to. Because everything else has been checked out
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm starting to think that the throttle body is what's giving me my troubles.

My gas pedal sticks

My engine was getting CRAZY hot (still gets pretty hot, but my mechanic replaced the coil pack, and it doesn't get as hot and it no longer hesitates)

My acceleration sucks

My throttle body has never been serviced and I've got 101,000 miles on it now.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I would definately get a gt between 02-09 or a v6 past then not gonna be too harsh on the pocket and with maybe a thousand dollars more you'd be where your sixxer would be with supercharger or turbo.
02GtRespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

Video or it didn't happen!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GtRespect View Post
I would definately get a gt between 02-09 or a v6 past then not gonna be too harsh on the pocket and with maybe a thousand dollars more you'd be where your sixxer would be with supercharger or turbo.
99-01 isn't abad GT just swap the intake and injectors and there the same..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I may be wrong but the pi heads didnt come out til 02 and they produced slightly higher horsepower and if you dont want to cam or f/i it i wouldnt put bigger injectors.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Any idiot can make a v8 fat, it takes a real lunatic to make a fast v6

---------- Post added at 04:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 AM ----------

Quote:
I'm starting to think that the throttle body is what's giving me my troubles.

My gas pedal sticks

My engine was getting CRAZY hot (still gets pretty hot, but my mechanic replaced the coil pack, and it doesn't get as hot and it no longer hesitates)

My acceleration sucks

My throttle body has never been serviced and I've got 101,000 miles on it now.
See if any mustang owner locally would be able to help you
It's always easier to explain in person, or on the actual vehicle
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #30
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GtRespect View Post
I may be wrong but the pi heads didnt come out til 02 and they produced slightly higher horsepower and if you dont want to cam or f/i it i wouldnt put bigger injectors.
It was 99, the 96-98 were npi

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #31
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Not much more then it would cost for a full revamp on a 5.0..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Alright and also if you could get a new engine get a 96 to 98 4.6 replace heads with pi better compression rates

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion