What is emmissions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
What is emmissions?

I live south of Nashville tn close to alabama and I have drove for three years and I keep hearing of emmisions tests. What is it? Do they check exhaust of something. I want to change my exhaust on the gt and a lot of shops won't do certain stuff cause of emmisions but I've never been through or seen one before.
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You never have a state inspection? There's a sticker in the lower left corner of your windshield you should update yearly. It should read somethin like 06/14, you might wanna check up on that either the cops haven't noticed it yet but yea bro you can't get a ticket for that. But the emissions test is for air pollution to make sure your car isn't putting out harmful gases into the environment, yet the cement truck two cars up can spew out bricks of smog...

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

And also if your out in the country the laws may not be as strict , for us city slickers it's a pita. I thought about rolling no cats but having second thoughts, it's a federal offense and your looking at $2,500 fine man... FYI
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I live in the country but I wouldn't say I live in the boondocks. As for the sticker I don't think I've ever seen one on any of our cars. We have a 98 eclipse, 99 v6, 99 cobra, 02 f150, and 04 gt and we've never had an inspection lol. I don reckon I've ever seen a sticker like that. I know I was gonna trade some guy a couple cities north of me but he was worried about passing emmissions big time. I've never even heard of emmisions testing before lol. I was thinking about going catless on my 99 cobra seeing as though I've never been pulled over and I've never had to go through emmisions before. Is it required by law to go through emmisions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-30135226.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	119953  
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
I live in the country but I wouldn't say I live in the boondocks. As for the sticker I don't think I've ever seen one on any of our cars. We have a 98 eclipse, 99 v6, 99 cobra, 02 f150, and 04 gt and we've never had an inspection lol. I don reckon I've ever seen a sticker like that. I know I was gonna trade some guy a couple cities north of me but he was worried about passing emmissions big time. I've never even heard of emmisions testing before lol. I was thinking about going catless on my 99 cobra seeing as though I've never been pulled over and I've never had to go through emmisions before. Is it required by law to go through emmisions?
A lot of places require an inspection now to renew your tags. Thats how it is in NC. Check your tags, there should be a number on 1 side, and a double digit number on the other? That's the month, and year. That your tags go out. That's how it is in NC, anyway. We don't have windsheild stickers
1shotkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Most states have strict emission regulations but not strict emission testing.
It is illegal for a shop to remove you cats. They could be heavily fined if caught.
Each state has certain laws. The shop may be able to put shorty cats on your car. If you get the right kit you should get 40 hp and 70 tq with a tune.
Remember this is market hp. The best possible hp in perfect conditions.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Depends upon where you live - A few years ago I used to live in the country in the Metro East area (Illinois side from St Louis) and we didn't require any type of inspection there - I could renew my plates by mail, yet just a few miles west (closer to St Louis) and they had to get emissions testing done to renew plates. I didn't mind not getting emissions testing done, but honestly wish they required at least a safety inspection on cars. Now I'm back on the Missouri side and I have to get both safety and emission inspections to renew my plates.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
It's mainly in large cities, not saying they don't have them in rural areas, but I'm in a larger city in GA and we don't have emissions testing here. Up around Atlanta they do testing.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #8

I live in west tn and we don't have inspections. I think just in the city like Memphis, Nashville, etc..
little rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I went by one of the local dealerships and noticed they had a exhaust emission tester. I know in states like Nevada and California they do smog testing every 2 years. Most mom and pop inspection shops just listen. If you go catless with anything bigger than a v-6 it will be very obvious. I would know, but a few behind the counter guys and girls would not. If you watch Street Outlaws you know one of the guys got 3 tickets one for his exhaust.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you don't like emissions don't come to Cali

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

+1
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Or Arizona but I bet cali is 10X worse
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I live outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In Pennsylvania, ALL cars require a safety inspection, and then emissions testing are left up to the individual counties to decide. For example, I live in Allegheny County and I have to get a yearly emissions test (if I've put less than 5000 miles on the car since my last test, then they don't test, they just put an "EXEMPT" sticker on), but the county 2 to the north of me doesn't have an emissions test.
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Emissions are the evil pollutants that are causing this massive global warming heatwave we are all experiencing. Thank God these communities are saving us one vehicle at a time...

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Emissions are so annoying. Every two years here in CA we have to take our cars to a smog check because some Jerkov in Sacramento said we have to.

You know what would be more useful? Figure out a way to capture peoples farts. I'm sure that methane creates a bigger hole in the ozone layer more than my 2v /rant
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You can run open headers in my town and the cops will pull you over to tell you it's sounds sick AF! Lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion