Test drove a WRX STI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Test drove a WRX STI

Iv been looking into others cars the past few weeks something four door but fun .(got a little one on the way).
And come across a 2010 WRX STI . Looked like something I could mod and have fun with and always heard they where very fast .
So went for a spin and it was nothing compared to the mustang ..
I gave it all it had and the limiters kept kicking in I turned the button to some kind of sport mode same thing long story short don't think ill ever find anything to compare to our 3.7
It felt like it wouldn't even be a race between the two.
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
It don't take much to get them to run. How did it handle?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was thinking too having the turbo and AWD
It had a lot of road noise but handled like a champ .
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
those STIs are badass cars. you must not have driven it right or something?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
That's what I was thinking too having the turbo and AWD
It had a lot of road noise but handled like a champ .
They aren't for the timid. Road noise, interiors by Playskool, and one bad, bad, mammajamma drive train. Buddy of mine has a built 04 STi and it's one intense car.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My friend got a new 13' sti and he knows now he should of gotten a 5.0 don't get my wrong its a nice handling car but my cobra eats him.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You need four doors and a 100% fun factor??????

FORD FOCUS "ST"

You will have a great car that you will probably like "ALMOST" as much as your Mustang. It has the room you need and four doors and is a very quick hatchback.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I wouldn't mind having a WRX for rally courses
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
I gave it all it had . Running down the road I dropped down 2nd and 3rd and revd it up and let out on the clutch ready to take off. Nothing like what I hoped it would do .
I gave it all it had getting on the interstate and just wasent what I thought .
I haven't compared time track times on ours and this one but it felt like ours would be on top by long shot.
And I will say I probably didn't hit all its sweet spots being my first time in one of those . But I had to be close lol
Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
FORD FOCUS "ST"

You will have a great car that you will probably like "ALMOST" as much as your Mustang. It has the room you need and four doors and is a very quick hatchback.

Ronnie
I haven't drove one yet but plan too!
At this point my conclusion has been I'm a mustang addict and I should probably keep it and deal with the hassle of a two door and a car seat .
Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi curtin1991

At least with the ST you will still have a fun car and when the baby gets older you will still probably have more value in trading it in on a Mustang then any WRX . My friend just bought a Focus ST and I love it. Of course I love my Mustang more but if I needed four doors and baby seat convenience I would definitely get the ST.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
At least with the ST you will still have a fun car and when the baby gets older you will still probably have more value in trading it in on a Mustang then any WRX . My friend just bought a Focus ST and I love it. Of course I love my Mustang more but if I needed four doors and baby seat convenience I would definitely get the ST.

Ronnie
I disagree, at least in Florida. WRX and especially STi's hold their value extremely well. If the Focus ST is a one-and-done, it won't be worth much in the future. Use the SVT Focus as an example.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I do agree that they hold value really well. Better then most . I'd love to see the mustang and sti have drag ad road course race . And price wise u can't compare the mustang and sti . Especially for every thing you get .
Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do agree that they hold value really well. Better then most . I'd love to see the mustang and sti have drag ad road course race . And price wise u can't compare the mustang and sti . Especially for every thing you get .
There's a car and driver article from back in the day that featured STi vs. Terminator. If I remember right, STi beat the cobra in the twisties, Cobra obviously winning a contest of acceleration.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ill have to look it up thanks interesting
Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ill have to look it up thanks interesting
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

The Ford Focus ST and Fiesta ST both have been over in Europe for years. They just now are bringing them both to the USA, they won't be a one and done.
I actually researched and looked into a Focus ST and Fiesta ST both before buying my 13 Stang V6. I went with the Stang for 2 reason, aftermarket available and rwd. The last 2 cars I owned were a modded HHR SS turbo and the new Buick Regal turbo. I'm actually a big fan of the ecotec turbo engines, tune with mild bolt ons alone with get you big power. I went from the stock 260 hp/ 260 tq on my HHR SS to 320 whp / 340 wtq on dyno (the HHR SS only weighs 3300 lbs). That was with only a tune, upgraded intercooler and intercooler piping. The downfall of both were fwd, dead stop pulls and lots of spinning even with sticky tires (even with lsd).
The Fiesta ST is going to be a bad *** pocket rocket if any aftermarket in the USA supports it, the and power to weight ratio is already pretty damn good stock.
If you look at reviews a stock regular wrx is not much faster then a stock V6 mustang with performance package.
I'm sure the STI is faster and I know for a fact there is a huge aftermarket for the WRX. I'm not gonna lie AWD and turbo is a sweet platform for a huge hp daily driver on and off the track and in all weather conditions.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah man its crazy how much faster the stangs are from their massive torque. I love all fast cars and kind of wanted an import too. So i was thinking of getting a new gencoupe rspec has like 260-275hp and ive seen a good bit of modded ones that look sick. And not many people get them so I'd like the be different....but for only like 4k more I can get a new base gt and have double the amount of power. So thats my issue :/ I want the best of both worlds but the stang just has so much more to offer imo. Then again I could use that 4k saved and do a bigger turbo kit. But idk the pony keeps winning me over.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
It probably was bone stock or de-modded pretty heavily.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It was bone stock for sure .
Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
FORD FOCUS "ST"

Ronnie
Careful there - the MFT option on the ST is very hit or miss. Over on focusst.org it's strongly divided. Thankfully Ford issued a TSB on the other item that bugged me (the weak rear motor mount), but the touch display (and all its bugs) for SYNC is what pushed me to dump the car after 6 months. At one point the whole system locked up on me while on a road trip using nav and there is no reset except pulling the fuse. They applied a fix that prevented that from happening and then sometimes you would change a radio station or some other function and it would lag 30 - 60 seconds. I had it in numerous times with no luck. It's by no means a universal thing, I just wanted to give you fair warning so you don't go through the same mess I did. Supposedly they've got another update for it coming out soon and maybe that will fix the issues (and not add any new ones).

Aside from that and the motor banging around occasionally during spirited driving, I loved the car - a great of performance and economy with plenty of room to haul kids or stuff - in the winter I just slapped on a set of Conti DSW tires and it got around great even in some pretty nasty snow that would have left my Mustang in the garage.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I have owned a 2011 WRX for a year now and I love it. 4 doors to haul the fam, AWD for the winter, sub 5 second 0-60, and low 13 second 1/4 mile from the factory. The power is definitely different from a Mustang which is probably what you experienced. We are used to the "seat of your pants" feel in the Mustang whereas in the WRX you have mild acceleration until you hit about 3k rpm and you hit full boost the whoa baby does it pull nice. If you can launch the WRX you will have a smile from ear to ear all the way through 4th gear as you will mostly stay in boost.
I am pretty certain that my bone stock WRX will out run my modded 2000 GT that runs 13.7.
The interior leaves much to desire, but that isn't why I bought the car. I did pick up a limited so it is fully loaded with leather, heated seats (the seats themselves are nice), and sunroof. I paid $26k. It is kick *** for the price.
Oh...and did I mention it is a beast in the snow??

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2435517769.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	123992

Name:	image-3308115733.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	123993

Name:	image-403512743.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	761.7 KB
ID:	123994
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Nice combo!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
IMO, if I'm gonna buy a sporty 4 door family car, I'm not buying a Subie. I'll put down a little more cash and buy a Pontiac G8 GT or GXP. But, that's because I like V8's. I'd even consider a used Charger R/T. And those are a muscle car slap in the face (2-door to 4-door, c'mon Dodge!).
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

If im not mistaken wrx sti's have a 4.5 sec 0-60, idk bought 1/4 mile, but sti's are pretty impressive in my opinion, i thought they were faster than a 3.7 mustang
Termi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termi
If im not mistaken wrx sti's have a 4.5 sec 0-60, idk bought 1/4 mile, but sti's are pretty impressive in my opinion, i thought they were faster than a 3.7 mustang
Yeah a new STI would be quicker than a 3.7, but we are talking about the WRX model. Whole different car.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel
I have owned a 2011 WRX for a year now and I love it. 4 doors to haul the fam, AWD for the winter, sub 5 second 0-60, and low 13 second 1/4 mile from the factory. The power is definitely different from a Mustang which is probably what you experienced. We are used to the "seat of your pants" feel in the Mustang whereas in the WRX you have mild acceleration until you hit about 3k rpm and you hit full boost the whoa baby does it pull nice. If you can launch the WRX you will have a smile from ear to ear all the way through 4th gear as you will mostly stay in boost.
I am pretty certain that my bone stock WRX will out run my modded 2000 GT that runs 13.7.
The interior leaves much to desire, but that isn't why I bought the car. I did pick up a limited so it is fully loaded with leather, heated seats (the seats themselves are nice), and sunroof. I paid $26k. It is kick *** for the price.
Oh...and did I mention it is a beast in the snow??
Sexy WRX! Love that color.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

He said wrx sti thats the car i was referring too lol
Termi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termi
He said wrx sti thats the car i was referring too lol
You're right, didn't even notice that lol.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Yeah a new STI would be quicker than a 3.7, but we are talking about the WRX model. Whole different car.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Sexy WRX! Love that color.
The WRX is faster 0-60 than the STI due to gearing. The WRX only has one shift to get to 60 whereas the STI has two shifts
The STI is made for the road track with all of its beefy suspension components. The regular WRX is no joke.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

How did you get it for 26?
Was it used ?
That's a great price .
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post

The WRX is faster 0-60 than the STI due to gearing. The WRX only has one shift to get to 60 whereas the STI has two shifts
The STI is made for the road track with all of its beefy suspension components. The regular WRX is no joke.
+1
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How did you get it for 26?
Was it used ?
That's a great price .
I got it used from a VW dealer with 2,000 miles on it. They had it listed as a premium, not limited. They didn't know what they had so I jumped on it. It was a good deal for me.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post

I got it used from a VW dealer with 2,000 miles on it. They had it listed as a premium, not limited. They didn't know what they had so I jumped on it. It was a good deal for me.
Yeah you did
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Region: California

Name:	image-563999989.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	124781

I used to own a 06 STi and it was a great car , gave me no problems at all...I also owned an 05 WRX and also no problems at all....I also owned a 07 335i and the turbos on that we're instant between 1500 and 2000 rpms...the Subie had some lag though with the big single turbo.....so in my opinion look for a four door 335i 07 or 08....2cents
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy415 View Post

I used to own a 06 STi and it was a great car , gave me no problems at all...I also owned an 05 WRX and also no problems at all....I also owned a 07 335i and the turbos on that we're instant between 1500 and 2000 rpms...the Subie had some lag though with the big single turbo.....so in my opinion look for a four door 335i 07 or 08....2cents
I also considered a 335xi when shopping. A few reasons that I went the WRX route were:
1) my money went further. If I would have spent the same amount that I spent on my '11 WRX, I would've had to purchase a 07/08 BMW with 40k plus mileage. This would also mean it would most likely be out of warranty.
2) I have read a lot that the turbos on the BMW are like a ticking time bomb after 80k miles.
3) Maintenance costs. BMW parts are expensive.
4) The Subaru AWD is superior to that of BMW.

Having said all of that, I do love BMWs and I may eventually own one. But right now, my smartest choice was to buy something little less expensive, in warranty, reliable, and *****in in the snow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion